• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive Drinking - New Bun

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys, I have had my new bun Ollie since Friday. He is totally fine, settled in, apart from not bonding with Hollie, eating well etc, but he is drinking so much!

Any ideas? Could it be cos he in indoors now? The place at the rescue was more like a tin shed, so my house might be slightly warmer, but there is no heating on.

Take your pet to a vet. Excessive drinking and urination can be the symptom of called polyuria. This can be caused due to

Diabetes
kidneydisease
liver disease
Behavioural problems etc so having a check up is better

I know someone else on here had a bun who didn't know how to drink out of a bottle and that was all they had at the rescue, so they were drinking a lot when they got home: any possibility? If so, vets to see what damage there is (hopefully none).

Take your pet to a vet. Excessive drinking and urination can be the symptom of called polyuria. This can be caused due to

Diabetes
kidneydisease
liver disease
Behavioural problems etc so having a check up is better

Maybe I am over reacting here, but I think your message comes across quite sharp. I am quite aware when my pet needs to see a vet, but I think that investigating and asking advice helps.

I got Ollie from the SPCA on Friday. I phoned the SPCA this morning and they told me to keep an eye on him and if he was OK apart from that then it could be just getting used to the surroundings. I will phone them back in a few days if it continues as they would be responsible for any treatment that he needed.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have had my new bun Ollie since Friday. He is totally fine, settled in, apart from not bonding with Hollie, eating well etc, but he is drinking so much!

Any ideas? Could it be cos he in indoors now? The place at the rescue was more like a tin shed, so my house might be slightly warmer, but there is no heating on.

Hi Kermit :wave:

I would think maybe

1. He's excited and therefore stressed at being in a new home. Stress always leads to more drinking.

2. He's warmer than he used to be

3. Check out his teeth are OK

Just my random thoughts :D

I know someone else on here had a bun who didn't know how to drink out of a bottle and that was all they had at the rescue, so they were drinking a lot when they got home: any possibility? If so, vets to see what damage there is (hopefully none).

Could be something like that, but he was at the rescue for 3 months, so hopefully they would have picked up on something like that, but stranger things have happened! Ta x

Hi Kermit :wave:

I would think maybe

1. He's excited and therefore stressed at being in a new home. Stress always leads to more drinking.

2. He's warmer than he used to be

3. Check out his teeth are OK

Just my random thoughts :D

Aye, I thought warmer and stressed. He is eating really well, and eating a ridiculous amount of hay. Poos are fine. I think I will keep an eye over the next few days and speak to the SPCA again if needed.

Aye, I thought warmer and stressed. He is eating really well, and eating a ridiculous amount of hay. Poos are fine. I think I will keep an eye over the next few days and speak to the SPCA again if needed.

Oooh teeth sound wonderful then :) If he's drinking but not slobbering or dribbling then I reckon it's the warmth and stress atm :thumb:

Bored? Charles and Cecile would drink a lot if bored, they liked the sound the water bottle made because it drew attention to their plight.

Aye, no slobbering, just his long tongue licking the water, it is rather cute!

:love:

I don't know about you, but my buns love the water I give them. When I go to the vet now, she asks me to leave a bottle of it with her as she says they won't drink the surgery's water :lol:

:love:

I don't know about you, but my buns love the water I give them. When I go to the vet now, she asks me to leave a bottle of it with her as she says they won't drink the surgery's water :lol:

Aye, maybe he just likes my house tap water better than the rescues!

I would also monitor his pee out put too.

Hopefully it's nothing but liking your water etc...but this is how Bobo presented with EC...excessive drinking and peeing. As you probably already know stress can cause latent EC to flare up so whilst he may have been fine in SPCA the stress of the move and new home may have caused it the EC (IF he has it) to flare up.

Fingers crossed for you both though xxx

I would also monitor his pee out put too.

Hopefully it's nothing but liking your water etc...but this is how Bobo presented with EC...excessive drinking and peeing. As you probably already know stress can cause latent EC to flare up so whilst he may have been fine in SPCA the stress of the move and new home may have caused it the EC (IF he has it) to flare up.

Fingers crossed for you both though xxx

Good lord, I don't think I could cope with another EC bun! Well, I say that I don't think I would cope...but I suppose I would just have to! I will be watching!

I'm glad he is settled & sorry he is worrying you with his thirst. I think I'd dose them both with panacur just in case - FHB always told me to give them 9 days when any stressful event was on the cards. I'm not quite sure if that was cos Noodle was an EC bunny but since Mouse is deffo positive I'm sticking with that advice.

Can we have more photos when he is settled please?

He's only recently been neutered hasn't he ? Reducing levels of testosterone can cause increased thirst/urine output.

He did have panacur at the rescue, but could be a shout to just give them it again, I am pretty sure that I have a tube in the house that I bought by accident a couple of months ago when I was meaning to buy fibreplex! So could order another and start that when I get home.

He did have panacur at the rescue, but could be a shout to just give them it again, I am pretty sure that I have a tube in the house that I bought by accident a couple of months ago when I was meaning to buy fibreplex! So could order another and start that when I get home.

Good plan I think. The benefits outweigh the risks (well with the 2 vets I've discussed it with its a low risk medication) & then get on with enjoying having a new bundle of fur

Back