• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a muppet I think? PM results it was vhd2

A rabbit's ears are often used to either administer drugs or take blood samples as the blood vessels are easy to see and get to. There may be a small shaved area at the point the needle went in. My assumption would be that this is what happened, but you can always ring your vet and ask if you are still concerned.

I expect the 'bruising' was caused by the cannula used to administer the GA drugs. They go into an ear vein and the veins are very delicate and some may 'blow' as the cannula goes in. This results in bruising which should resolve over the next few days.

Last edited:
Could it be that they did a conscious dental? I doubt that is the case, but hope you get a satisfactory explanation and hope bunny is feeling better today.

I can only apologise to the vets. Looks like it may be vhd2. How contagious is it to all my other rabbits? Very I'm guessing. We are on the waiting list too.

The vet did say anyone caught picking a rabbit up by the ears would be sacked on the spot though.

The vet who owns the practice doesn't believe in conscious dentals, so I hope not! But he was on holiday.

Feegal is 9 now so maybe this is the start of the end. :(

A conscious dental in no way involves touching the ears.

I hope you get to the root of the problem - so sorry x

What an awful worry :( Unexplained haemorrhaging would definitely be indicative of RHD2. Do you have any virkon or similar veterinary disinfectant? Until confirmed otherwise, I would assume RHD2 and would disinfect everything and instigate strict barrier nursing including foot dips for all your other bunnies to try and prevent spread. It is very contagious (although doesn't always seem to cause illness) but I managed to keep it contained and only had one death and one sickness so it is possible. If your vet doesn't have any vaccine at the moment, it would be worth trying other practices to see if somewhere else can see you and get everybun else protected? We are trying to keep a map of vets who have the vaccine in stock - it relies on reports from people so I can't guarantee the accuracy but it might give you a starting point on where to ask here: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk

If it is possibly RHD2, I found that a mixture of a crushed tablet or contents of a capsule of milk thistle mixed with lactulose formed a very good supportive therapy for the liver.

Big hugs xx

Thank you Santa. I haven't gone to see the others yet. My son in law cleaned and fed them all. I'm just sitting in the garden wondering if it's too soon to call the vet. I'm going to sterilize ever thing with f10 when I can get someone to bàby sit.

Feegal's a part of me. I've had him for 9 years. It feels the same as when my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and immanent death. Just kind of sad and calm :cry:

Thank you Santa. I haven't gone to see the others yet. My son in law cleaned and fed them all. I'm just sitting in the garden wondering if it's too soon to call the vet. I'm going to sterilize ever thing with f10 when I can get someone to bàby sit.

Feegal's a part of me. I've had him for 9 years. It feels the same as when my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and immanent death. Just kind of sad and calm :cry:

Sending loads of vibes and praying for the best x

Not sure where you are in Kent Carrie14, but I've just had notification that Kings Road vets in Biggin Hill have just received a reasonable sized supply of the vaccine so they may be able to accommodate you fairly swiftly if your usual vet doesn't have any in stock.

I'm in staplehurst near Maidstone. I'll talk to my vet when I call at 3. Just called and he's still not eating. Would I be able to take them to another vet if they've been exposed to it?

Thank you for the info. If I can, I need to get my other 3 vacs as soon as possible as we've just moved to a place with loads of wildes about anyway.

Sending loads of vibes for Feegal. I presume you've tried Trinity Vets in Maidstone for the vaccine?

That's where he is now! We saw Mark this morning. He thinks it could be vhd2, so I'm really worried. I'm still on their waiting list for the vacs.

Such a worry :( Mark is such an experienced vet too that you'd be able to take his concerns seriously :( Everything crossed for your little one - I wonder if it's more common than we think and can lie dormant until something like a GA triggers it? It would be an enormous worry if that is the case. I would definitely talk to him about getting the others vaccinated ASAP - Puttocks Vets in Paddock Wood look to be the nearest with reported stock at present. It would of course be a worry to take any potentially infected bunnies anywhere, I had to do so with mine and was very uncomfortable about it, but needs must. I would ensure that wherever they go knows the situation so that they can take steps to disinfect after you have been in, and ideally book you in for the end of a day when there won't be other rabbits waiting or to be seen afterwards, meaning they can disinfect straight away without disrupting anything else. Whenever I go to my vets now I wait in the car and ring in to check that it's all clear of rabbits before I go in. Everything crossed for you - he's in the best possible hands xx

Back