• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anxious Post- Re Myxo-RHD1+2

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am getting increasingly worried by how many Rabbits are being lost to either Myxo or RHD1/2 this year. I dont know if I am bordering on being even more neurotic though. I have been following the FB page about outbreaks and I have never know things to be so bad. One person lost 18 vaccinated Rabbits to Myxo :cry:

Even if I were thinking of obtaining any more Rabbits I wouldn't now, purely because of the Myxo/RHD situation.

Am I being neurotic ?

Maybe a bit. I follow the same pages and when all it's all about cases of rabbits dying it does get a bit much. Plus we never get the full story especially that one of the 18 rabbits. And, we've never had these pages before so it passed unknown in previous years xx

I think with Facebook and being able to track cases being much easier than in previous years, it makes the issue seem much worse when in fact it's probably not much worse than previous years.

It did seem to happen in waves - one year we'd get maybe 1 rabbit with myxomatosis and the next year we'd get 10.

It is probably starting to change, making vaccines less reliable than previously but this is to be expected as with anything we vaccinate against.

I like to think it'll all be okay but we just have to wait and see.

You'll also find many cases of myxomatosis that do survive, aren't reported which also makes it seem worse.

Vaccination is definitely still the way, but protecting them from flying insects etc is also beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back