• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just purchased 2 dwarf lops

Mancave75

New Kit
Hi I'm a complete novice so go easy.

We purchased 2 dwarf lop haired rabbits today and just wondered how will these turn out in terms of becoming a good house pet. There's 2 of them who we keep in a big room in the house and at the moment they hide up a lot and when we go to stroke them they run away.

I really hope they do become more friendly and wondered if there's any tips.

Thank you.

Hi I'm a complete novice so go easy.

We purchased 2 dwarf lop haired rabbits today and just wondered how will these turn out in terms of becoming a good house pet. There's 2 of them who we keep in a big room in the house and at the moment they hide up a lot and when we go to stroke them they run away.

I really hope they do become more friendly and wondered if there's any tips.

Thank you.

Hello

The Rabbits will need a safe base to retreat to in the room. Being a prey species they will be very nervous at first. They need a hutch/cage/kennel to call their own to retreat to. You dont have to lock them in it, just provide them a 'burrow' so to speak.

Initially it would be better to have them in a smaller area such as an enclosure. Whilst a full room will be great in the longterm, at the moment to them it will be an unfamiliar scary vast area. Their instinct will be to be on their guard for predators. Huge (to them) unfamiliar humans approaching will initially be perceived as a threat. Having them in a smaller enclosure with a hidey house in it will help them feel more secure. Sitting on the floor next to their enclosure will enable them to familiarise themselves with your presence. This can gradually progress to you sitting on the floor in the enclosure with them. Rabbits are naturally curious and eventually they will make tentative hops over to investigate what you are doing. Having a few bits of food for them on your lap will encourage their inquisitiveness.

This link provides a lot of information about the care of Rabbits

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

I'd advise you to have a Vet accurately determine the gender of your Rabbits. Pet Shops and believe it or not Breeders are not always a reliable source of information and all too often new owners get into a pickle after a few months when their two 'boys' suddenly produce a litter of Kits..............

Good luck !

Last edited:
Hello

The Rabbits will need a safe base to retreat to in the room. Being a prey species they will be very nervous at first. They need a hutch/cage/kennel to call their own to retreat to. You dont have to lock them in it, just provide them a 'burrow' so to speak.

Initially it would be better to have them in a smaller area such as an enclosure. Whilst a full room will be great in the longterm, at the moment to them it will be an unfamiliar scary vast area. Their instinct will be to be on their guard for predators. Huge (to them) unfamiliar humans approaching will initially be perceived as a threat. Having them in a smaller enclosure with a hidey house in it will help them feel more secure. Sitting on the floor next to their enclosure will enable them to familiarise themselves with your presence. This can gradually progress to you sitting on the floor in the enclosure with them. Rabbits are naturally curious and eventually they will make tentative hops over to investigate what you are doing. Having a few bits of food for them on your lap will encourage their inquisitiveness.

This link provides a lot of information about the care of Rabbits

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

I'd advise you to have a Vet accurately determine the gender of your Rabbits. Pet Shops and believe it or not Breeders are not always a reliable source of information and all too often new owners get into a pickle after a few months when their two 'boys' suddenly produce a litter of Kits..............

Good luck !
[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As Jacks Jane has said. Rabbits make wonderful house pets - but they do take time to learn to trust you - and believe me, it's on their terms so be patient and you'll soon end up with lovely friendly fluff balls.

Also - one thing to remember...rabbits generally hate being picked up (they instinctively think a fox etc has gotten hold of them and they tend to struggle). I think most of us on here only pick up when necessary - cuddles and fusses and pets take place with the rabbits 4 feet firmly on the floor. So do be careful when picking up - they are fragile little beasts and their struggles could lead them hurting themselves - and be prepared for a certain amount of scratches too.

PS...most rabbits just adore nose strokes ;)

Hello :)

There is *so much* to read on this Forum, and I recommend you work your way through each section and it's advice (so called "stickies") in time.

The advice has proved invaluable, for me and my buns at least, on numerous occasions.

There's a lot to learn about feeding, housing and health. Also about bunny behaviour, which can be tricky to decipher :D

Depending on age, you may have the teenage-tantrums to look forward to (nipping, chewing and peeing), neutering/spaying, and so on.

But - at the end of the day, they are wonderful little creatures (albeit on their terms!).

Back