• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In a bit of a pickle :( Update post 9!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you will know I've been trying to bond my trio for about a week now. It's going sloooooowly, the boys are fine but my doe hasn't warmed to my lone boy Timmy, the other 2 were bonded already. I've not given up yet but just in case it doesn't work out I need to figure out Plan B which is where I'm struggling.

Timmy is a very sweet and sociable rabbit and my main concern is him being lonely (he's only single currently because we recently lost his wifebun Mimi.) The problem is though, I don't want another rabbit right now, or rather I can't. The rabbits have become my sole responsibility in recent months, financially and physically as my ex no longer helps. They're getting on a bit now and with that has of course come various issues and I expect will continue to do so. In the past 3 and a half months I've spent nearly £1000 on vets bills, mainly Mimi in her final months then having to be PTS and cremated. Then Timmy had to have a dental and 2 night hospital stay with a CT scan, GA etc. He also recently got an ear infection which was only £75 for the appointment and meds but still adds up, vets bills are NOT cheap out here. Add to that their hay, food, litter etc and its a significant chunk of money every month anyway.

Unfortunately because of all this I don't feel that its the right time for me to get another rabbit to bond with Timmy. I want to make sure I have the money to look after my current 3 in their old age. I feel soooooo guilty though, I don't want Timmy to be lonely :cry:

SO, *if* this bond doesn't work out I was thinking I could perhaps divide up the spare bedroom in some way, so that Timmy can still see the other 2 but won't be getting beaten up by Madam Charlotte! I'm not worried about referred aggression as Charlotte and Max are a solid pair and have shown no aggression atall to eachother during this bonding process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this securely?

Any other advice or suggestions really appreciated. Head...brick wall!!

Last edited:
As you probably know for several years I have had Rabbits living in pairs/singles in seperate enclosures where-by they can all see/smell each other. What has always worked for me when bringing a new Rabbit into the 'warren' is to cover the sides of the new Rabbit's enclosure so they can not be seen but will be heard/smelled. Hardboard can be used to block off the sides of the enclosure if anyBun decides to chew a fabric cover. After a few days and as long as no referred aggression has occurred in any of the pairs I open up a bit of new Bun's enclosure so that he/she can occasionally be seen. Over the next few days and if all remains well I gradually remove the enclosure covers/hardboard. This method has never failed for me and I have never had any issues with referred aggression. And at one time I had over 40 Rabbits !

That said, I am not saying that my way is the only way. It just happened to work for me :)

ETA- If you do try this I'd leave it for a week or so before having all three in the same room. As there has already been some friction during your attempt to bond the trio this may continue and manifest itself in referred aggression between C +M. Whilst they may be a 'solid pair' if C can see T and not get at him she may take it out on M x

Last edited:
I've no practical experience but it'd be good to rig something up on a temporary basis to see if all three are more settled (or not) with a barrier between. You'd be able to read their body language & see if it was a workable solution. If Timmy is bonded to Max now I don't know whether it would be more frustrating for him to not get cuddles & watch M&C snuggling. I probably over think these things. I fret that Boo can see Joey & Mouse from their separate carriers when they go to the vet :roll:

But as I say I think trying it will give you the answer. Failing that Timmy is a house bun so can still get lots of attention & loves from you

Thanks Jane, I was hoping you'd see this as I know you have/have had multiple buns/pairs in the same room. What exactly do you use panel wise for your pens?

I've no practical experience but it'd be good to rig something up on a temporary basis to see if all three are more settled (or not) with a barrier between. You'd be able to read their body language & see if it was a workable solution. If Timmy is bonded to Max now I don't know whether it would be more frustrating for him to not get cuddles & watch M&C snuggling. I probably over think these things. I fret that Boo can see Joey & Mouse from their separate carriers when they go to the vet :roll:

But as I say I think trying it will give you the answer. Failing that Timmy is a house bun so can still get lots of attention & loves from you

Thanks j&b. It has definitely bothered me too that Timmy might get frustrated at seeing them together. I wouldn't say hes totally bonded to Max yet though, he's still a bit nervous of him especially after Charlotte has given him a telling off :roll: I just hate the thought of him on his own though, hes a loving little soul and loves other bunnies.

The other option would obviously be to rehome him to someone who can provide him with a wifebun, or of course the other 2, but I can't even think about doing that, it would break my heart which then of course makes me feel hugely selfish :cry:

I wouldn't rehome either - I don't think he'd get or want a better bunny mummy than he already has.

Although I've never tried it I hope them sharing the same room would work out - it makes sense that they'd feel more secure with their own kind nearby

I wouldn't rehome either - I don't think he'd get or want a better bunny mummy than he already has.

Although I've never tried it I hope them sharing the same room would work out - it makes sense that they'd feel more secure with their own kind nearby

I couldn't have said it better myself :thumb: could you make a pen or partition from puppy pen panels, or a wooden framework with weldmesh fastened to it?

Thanks Jane, I was hoping you'd see this as I know you have/have had multiple buns/pairs in the same room. What exactly do you use panel wise for your pens?

Just ordinary mesh panels, like those used for outdoor runs. I used to either cover the panels over with old sheets/duvet covers or block them off with hardboard if the Rabbits involved were chewers.

UPDATE!

So I had to give up on the bonding for now as I'm back at work, or atleast postpone it anyway. So onto plan B!

I've spent the whole day completely clearing out the spare room of furniture and going DIY crazy splitting it into 2 secure pens using the puppy pen panels I already had, plus some extra bits and bobs to secure it to the walls and make it sturdy. I made it so that both pens (one with Max and Charlotte in, the other with Timmy in) have a door that I can open so that they can take it in turns free ranging in my bedroom and the other smaller storage room. Timmy can see the other 2 and they can interact if they want to, but he is safe from getting bullied. So far no referred aggression atall, hopefully the time I've spent trying to bond them will help with that atleast.

I'm proud of myself as I had no idea what I was doing really but it has turned out great. It wasn't the ideal plan but it's the first time since Mimi died that I've felt happy with my rabbit situation and not racked with guiltand doubt. Timmy has company and entertainment, he's allowed in my bedroom now which was Max and Charlottes which hes over the moon about as its ahuge room! Max and Charlotte seem relaxed and pleased with their new home. I've not let them free range yet as I want them to settle a bit more first and learn that that is now their home not my bedroom! I can't tell you how nice it will be to have our bedroom back to ouselves aswell, Max and Charlotte are sooooo noisy at night that we've been sleeping downstairs in the lounge!

I will post pictures when I can, I just wanted to share my joy with people who will understand! :D:love:

fab news. I was wondering how you & the buns were getting along. I love the idea of Timmy getting access to your bedroom.

Looking forward to pics

Back