• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What does the forum mean by 'dentals'?

Zarla

Alpha Buck
References to dentals are usually accompanied by a reference to general anaesthetic.

I am concerned now as in the last year of her life (her eighth) my rabbit had to have her front teeth trimmed every ten days and the vet never used a general anaesthetic or even mentioned it.

Should he have done?

Worried now in case my bunny was caused unnecessary pain but don't think a GA every 10 days would have been good for an 8 year old rabbit anyway?:?

Thankfully my current bun has no dental worries yet.

References to dentals are usually accompanied by a reference to general anaesthetic.

I am concerned now as in the last year of her life (her eighth) my rabbit had to have her front teeth trimmed every ten days and the vet never used a general anaesthetic or even mentioned it.

Should he have done?

Worried now in case my bunny was caused unnecessary pain but don't think a GA every 10 days would have been good for an 8 year old rabbit anyway?:?

Sorry this will be a brief reply

This link should help answer your question:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

And :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

And finally the RWAF's (Rabbit Welfare Fund and Association's) policy statement regarding 'conscious Dentals' :

Conscious Dental Treatment

We are often asked whether it is possible, or advantageous, to perform dental procedures on rabbits without anaesthesia or sedation. This is a complex question, as it depends entirely on the character of the rabbit, the nature of the dental problem, the equipment available and the expertise of the Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Nurses involved. Trimming of overlong incisors may be performed with powered dental equipment with gentle but firm physical restraint. Towel wrapping, the "bunny burrito" technique, may be very useful here. Sedation may be required in some rabbits.

Cheek (back) teeth treatment is more complicated, requiring visualisation of the teeth. Difficulty arises because they are hidden at the back of the mouth, in contrast to the easily visible incisors, as well as greatly limiting the safe use of effective dental equipment in this area.

Gags are occasionally recommended to keep the mouth open. These are widely used in anaesthetised rabbits to hold the mouth open and the head in position, but are not safe to use in a rabbit which is not adequately anaesthetised due to the risk of tooth or jaw fracture if the rabbit tries to close its mouth. Without this, visibility is limited, which makes it easy to miss significant dental problems, especially at the very back of the mouth, and increases the risk of damaging the soft tissues of the mouth when carrying out conscious dentistry.

Powered dental equipment rotates rapidly and may cause significant injuries to the tongue, cheek or gums if it comes into contact with them. It is therefore wise not to use where visibility is not sufficient to avoid the risk of damage. Furthermore there is the danger of conscious animals moving, causing power tools to slip and inflict injury on the mouth

The choice of equipment for use in conscious dentistry is therefore limited to hand held ie non powered equipment. Whilst this is appropriate for small spurs on the inside edge of the lower teeth, it is much more difficult to use these elsewhere, should other teeth require attention. If the entire back tooth is leaning it, rather than just spurring, it is inappropriate to use hand equipment to clip the tooth, as this can fracture and loosen the tooth.

Files can be used in the mouth to avoid clipping. However, large blood vessels at the back of the mouth are vulnerable to being caught with the tip of a file, and potentially fatal haemorrhage may result.

The experience of the veterinary surgeon performing such a procedure, and the expertise of the veterinary nurse handling the rabbit strongly influence the safety and end result of any dental procedure. The decision on whether to carry out dental work and how to do so is the clinical responsibility of the veterinary surgeon, after a discussion of the relative risks and benefits with the owner of all techniques available. It is impossible here to categorically state what should and should not be done in each circumstance, but conscious dentistry should not simply be considered as a short cut alternative to dentistry under GA. Whatever method is employed, a full clinical examination of the rabbit, with particular reference to the mouth and associated structures, should be performed first (eg intra and extra-oral examination, and assessment of eyes and ears to look for associated pathology).

Our opinion at the RWAF is that incisor dental shortening can be carried out conscious in the majority of rabbits, (but that this should be done using appropriate tools, and not by clipping which can shatter or split teeth) but that cheek tooth dentistry is best carried out under a short, well maintained anaesthetic to allow full visualisation and assessment of dental disease. However, there may be circumstances where a limited amount of cheek tooth dentistry may be more safely performed conscious. A typical situation is the presence of a single or small number of dental spurs in an easily visualised position, in a calm rabbit, particularly when the animal is not considered a suitable candidate for an anaesthetic (eg through severe dehydration or malnutrition for the dental lesion present, or other underlying disease). This may perhaps be carried out to relieve pain in a seriously unwell rabbit in order to improve his or her fluid and nutritional status prior to a full dental under GA. However, if conscious dentistry is considered the default option due to the risks of anaesthesia generally, it is worth reviewing practice anaesthetic protocols for rabbits.

The risks of the procedure must be balanced against the potential advantages in every case, and fully discussed with your veterinary surgeon.

Please note that this advice is not aimed at the equivalent situation in guinea pigs, whose dental pathology is different, usually involving whole teeth and a significantly increased risk of severely and permanently damaging the teeth involved.

Taken from here :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/?section=policies.html

When referring to dentals under GA it's usually referring to the molars. Some vets can burr the incisors consciously. Did you watch the vet do it, do they use a little rotating disc tool to cut them or did they use clippers? I wouldn't worry too much about incisors being done consciously as long as they aren't using a pair of clippers - that can shatter the tooth and root and cause pain - it used to be done years ago but shouldn't be done now.

My vet done a lot of dentals conscious - even molars.

Doing the front teeth (long teeth at the front - incisors) a GA isn't normally required. Its a painless procedure... they normally wiggle because of the vibrations from it being burred.

Should he have done?

Some vets are able to burr the incisors (front teeth) without GA.

Some vets are also able to deal with the molars (back teeth) without GA. Most vets do not have the experience, or prefer not, to deal with the back teeth *except* with a GA.

You wouldn't have wanted your rabbit to have a GA every 10 days. It's very debilitating for them to have GA's every couple of weeks and in cases like that it would be better to find a vet who can deal with teeth with the rabbit still awake :D

Thank you so much - I feel a lot better now.

The vet and a nurse always took Squirrel off to a back room for the dentals but did mention a 'diamond blade', so hopefully this was the burring device you have all mentioned.

It was only the front two teeth which ever grew long; the back teeth never needed it thank goodness.

Thank you so much - I feel a lot better now.

The vet and a nurse always took Squirrel off to a back room for the dentals but did mention a 'diamond blade', so hopefully this was the burring device you have all mentioned.

It was only the front two teeth which ever grew long; the back teeth never needed it thank goodness.

:thumb:

Back