• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update got the buns ADVICE NEEDED thinking of rescuing 2 netherland dwarfs

as you may know i already have 8 buns when i really only bought 2. Ive always wished i could have rescued and i cant even go into any pet shops without nearly crying looking at the adoption section. My eldest daughter has told me someone who she works with has asked will i take her 2 netherland dwarfs with hutch, food and hay, if not shes letting them go ( IN THE WILD!!!) Ive not stopped thinking about them since she told me and now i cant even sleep. Ive told her i will go and look at them this weekend and dont do anything until ive seen them. I cannot believe someone could get bored so quick. when the 6 babies where born my daughter was showing this woman photos of the babies and the woman showed her a pic of the 2 nethies saying she had just got them, so they will only be around 9 months old. They are 2 females bonded but not neutered. I know when i go see them i will take them but know nothing about netherland dwarfs. Has anyone got an advice on how they will need anything different than my rather large dwarf lops. She says they have a large hutch but her large and my large will probably be very different.
Any tips regarding these buns would be great because i want them to have the life that my 8 fur babies have.

Last edited:
as you may know i already have 8 buns when i really only bought 2. Ive always wished i could have rescued and i cant even go into any pet shops without nearly crying looking at the adoption section. My eldest daughter has told me someone who she works with has asked will i take her 2 netherland dwarfs with hutch, food and hay, if not shes letting them go ( IN THE WILD!!!) Ive not stopped thinking about them since she told me and now i cant even sleep. Ive told her i will go and look at them this weekend and dont do anything until ive seen them. I cannot believe someone could get bored so quick. when the 6 babies where born my daughter was showing this woman photos of the babies and the woman showed her a pic of the 2 nethies saying she had just got them, so they will only be around 9 months old. They are 2 females bonded but not neutered. I know when i go see them i will take them but know nothing about netherland dwarfs. Has anyone got an advice on how they will need anything different than my rather large dwarf lops. She says they have a large hutch but her large and my large will probably be very different.
Any tips regarding these buns would be great because i want them to have the life that my 8 fur babies have.

Oh you have a kind heart :love:

I had always had large rabbits until a few years ago when a Nethie needing a home came my way. I realised then what BIG personalities these little guys have. They are adorable, and in fact because of their metabolism, I've found they can eat more and not get overweight!

So to answer your question, the only issue with a Nethie is that they can get through small spaces and hide away from you. This is important when they have a whole house to roam in (as in my case :lol:) but may not be a cause for concern for you.

Bless you for even thinking of these darlings.

Can't wait to hear what you decide :D

i think in my heart ive already decided but im hoping the hutch is ok for use for the time being until i can buy another one, plus im going to need money for spays and injections too but not springing that on the hubby yet, i will be taking him with me so he falls in love too, then the costs wont seem all that bad lol..

With eight buns already, would it be better if you "rescued" the Nethies from their current situation then looked for a Forever Home for them rather than take them on permanently yourself.
I know this is easier said than done as it relies on you and hubby not falling for them [emoji45]

I agree with HTB - because you already have 8 it may be better to find another forever home after you've got them.
Trust me, I know how difficult it can be to let go after you've met them and their personalities.

Netherlands are very active bunnies. They seem to have endless energy.
They are prone to dental issues so ensuring they eat a lot of hay is important.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This is a decision that really only you and your OH can make. I'll make some observations based on what I think I know about you and the situation.

Not many people in your position would have kept the 6 babies from the unplanned litter. They would have rehomed at least some of them. This if it were me should alleviate, partially at least, any feelings of guilt you still have for not rescuing rabbits in the first place.

From what I can see, not only have you kept all 6 babies, but you have given them plus their parents the very best of everything. They have lovely accommodation, enriched lives and :love:FANTASTC FORAGE :love:

With this knowledge of you and how you care for 8 rabbits, I think that if you took on another 2 they would benefit from living with you and I do not for one minute think you would allow it to damage the care that your 8 already receive.

It's a long time since I had a Netherland Dwarf, but yes from memory they are tiny rabbits with big personalities. Yes, because of their squishy faces they are more prone to dental disease, but then so are lops.

I don't think that seeing them will make very much difference to the decision. I'm sure that you wouldl love them. I would fully involve your OH in the decision, as of course there will be increased costs, especially initially.

If someone could explain to the Nethies what you would offer them and ask them if they would like to come and live with you, I think you know what the answer would be.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

I think it is a bit unfair that people are advising that you should only take these temporarily because you already have 6.

I appreciate that there may be some concern regarding people getting out of their depth but please remember everyones levels are different and for some it is perfectly possible to give excellent care for multiple buns, whereas for some that limit may only be a pair.

I have 8 bunnies and for me that is a really easy number - at the beginning of the year I easily managed 13 and its only through a terrible illness that I am now down to what is for me a small number. I would happily have more again but at the moment I need time to grieve and come to terms with the loss.

As long as the OP has thought this through and not just let the heart rule the head then I say go for it.

To me, having got an additional 2 from my 'original' 8 - I didn't think 2 more would make much difference. It has. In some respects it's easier; I find 'predicting' when I need more hay better. I find it easier to forage in some respects; I know the volumes I need. But I also know 10 is now my absolute limit. Accommodation is not finished, a pair will have to be inside for the winter, and now there's the added complication of a new vaccine (rhd2). Also my bonding situation has got complicated but that's something different entirely...

There's massive pros and cons, but whatever you do, it'll be the right decision for you.

(Also I have very little experience with Nethies. The only 1 I had many years ago was a stroppy one.)

Last edited:
I agree with Omi. I have had Nethies for 18 years, I once considered starting a Nethie Rescue then a Lionhead came along :roll: I have bred Nethies years ago and they are really my favourite rabbit, along with Lionheads :D Some can be pouncers, (in a playful way), a little mischievous, thumpers, but mostly they are beautiful rabbits. It's a good sign the 2 sisters are still living harmoniously together at 9 months, so good luck

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure though that when you go to see them, it will be difficult to say no. If you are in a position to care for ten buns and your oh is on board, then I would go ahead.

I went from three buns to six in a really short space of time and although we are still working towards our goal accommodation wise, I know it will all come together and we can give them a great life.

I don't have any experience of nethies, mine are all lionheads and mini lops :) x

thanks for the advice, thats what i needed hearing from the pros and cons. I know i could give an additional 2 the exact same love and quality i give my 8 buns and i did say to my daughter perhaps we could take them and rehome to a forever home later but if im honest im a sucker for any bun and i will probably love them after 2 minutes lol.. i would take them under the impression that i would have to house them as the pair but if any of my quads show a nice interest i would still have enough room for them to join the quad, i would just cut holes in their hutch like ive done with all the other hutches. They would have to be kept away from my 8 until i can vaccinate and quarantine, would that be seperate hutch or rooms as well.

Proper quarantine involves different airspaces but in reality this is quite hard to do. I think if you can do different rooms that would be an advantage but for most things seperate hutches of a fair distance apart is sufficient. Remember you can carry stuff on your clothes so ideally tend to healthy first the unknown after and also consider things like seperate dustpan and brushes etc.

If you've got enough space and time to look after 10 rabbits then I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Some people can't even care for one rabbit properly and it sounds like you are perfectly capable of caring for multiple bunnies already! I imagine they'll have a happier life with you :)
I have a little Nethie and she is beautiful and very cute and photogenic, but she is a little madam! She may be the tiniest little bunny I've ever owned but she has a massive personality. I don't know if they are all like this but she can be stroppy and stubborn, but she is also very energetic and funny to watch!
If you feel like you can care for them then I don't see a problem with getting more!

good ideas x never thought about transfering things including scents with the cloths and brushes, will need more sets. Ive got 2 madams already and they give us so many laughs with the strops and faces lol.. my set up isnt perfect but i spend all day from 7 o clock until 12 midnight letting them take turns with coming out of the hutches and ive made it so they can do 18ft of hops around the hutches so they are not confined to just 6ft, i think the more room you give them you think its never enough once you see they racing round and jumping in the air.

shes told my daughter shes working a lot so im just waiting to see when she can "FIT TIME IN" as long has i know shes going to keep them until i see them im a bit ok but i hope its tomorrow or sunday xx Ive already been looking at boyles pet housing because i will need something especially made for the amount of space ive got lol..

Its just as well you're bunny mad, they'll have you on your toes which I know you'll love. good luck

shes told my daughter shes working a lot so im just waiting to see when she can "FIT TIME IN" as long has i know shes going to keep them until i see them im a bit ok but i hope its tomorrow or sunday xx Ive already been looking at boyles pet housing because i will need something especially made for the amount of space ive got lol..

Haha, us bunny folk would fit time in for bunnies anytime, any place :lol:

lol.. i am bunny mad. My daughter just got in from work with pics of the buns, they are called pixie and daisy and are in what looks to me like a chicken coup/run thing, im sure its got a box on the side for hens to lay eggs in lol.. They are housed outside now which makes it a bit easier for me to keep them separate from my 8 and plus i dont think that hutch is going to fit inside anyway, i will have to get the boyles pet indoor panels made bespoke to make the best of the space or a 5ft double which would be quite small

Back