• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When 'My Rabbit is Still Eating Really Well' is Just Not Enough

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Just posting this as I have just read (elsewhere) about a Rabbit in a similar situation.

Some of you may remember Geoffrey, a Rabbit that I took on from Deliah at Bobtails Rescue. Geoffrey was a perfectly healthy young Giant, but sadly he had a severe adverse reaction to the GA he had for his neuter. He was left profoundly brain damaged. He was blind, deaf and quadriplegic. The Vet treating him felt that there may be a slight chance that he could have some improvement, although a full recovery was considered to be impossible. Geoffrey came here as I had far more time to give him the care he needed 24/7 than did anyone at a very busy Rescue.

Despite our best efforts after several weeks Geoffrey did not improve at all. But he never stopped eating and he was never distressed. Some may have felt that my decision to let him go was wrong, but I do not believe that a blind, deaf, quadriplegic Rabbit can have any real quality of life. It broke my heart to let him go, but I am still certain it was the right thing to do for Geoffrey

A tough decision but I would have made the same choice. A rabbit that can not get around is a rabbit that is not happy in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the post you're referring to Jane, if indeed it's on this forum.

PTS is far from the easy option - infact it's the bravest, most selfless decision any one can take. To know you're essentially responsible for that animal not being there any more, is no easy pill to swallow - before or after. To have to have anothers life in your hands, and decide to end it - is the most gut wrenching, guilt rendering responsibility ever.

I would find it quite insulting for any one to suggest it's an easy option for owners to PTS. Perhaps they should be a fly on the wall at the appointments and be watching the sheer grief and sorrow as the owner watches their best friend slip away. When I had my last dog PTS (one whom I literally grew up with I may add! And the reason I decided to not own dogs for quite a while again), he was eating, his pain was managed, I could have easily got another 2-3 years out of him, if I put him through it. But he was no longer the happy soul he used to be. I would have welcomed anyone who thinks this/said this, to have stood beside me while I was on my hands and knees wailing whilst trying to dig his grave, because I literally couldn't stand through grief. Does that sound 'an easy option'? Rabbits are no less of a best friend than a dog to me.

I totally agree with your decision Jane, and think it very brave. Watching an animal suffer through a long recovery is no easy option. But neither is being strong enough to say 'No, I'm deciding not to put them through this, it isn't kind'. Whoever said this, should be deeply ashamed of themselves. I'm sorry, but very upsetting and making owners feel absolutely awful (when they already do!) for what is, a last act of kindness xxx

I haven't seen the post you're referring to Jane, if indeed it's on this forum.

PTS is far from the easy option - infact it's the bravest, most selfless decision any one can take. To know you're essentially responsible for that animal not being there any more, is no easy pill to swallow - before or after. To have to have anothers life in your hands, and decide to end it - is the most gut wrenching, guilt rendering responsibility ever.

I would find it quite insulting for any one to suggest it's an easy option for owners to PTS. Perhaps they should be a fly on the wall at the appointments and be watching the sheer grief and sorrow as the owner watches their best friend slip away. When I had my last dog PTS (one whom I literally grew up with I may add! And the reason I decided to not own dogs for quite a while again), he was eating, his pain was managed, I could have easily got another 2-3 years out of him, if I put him through it. But he was no longer the happy soul he used to be. I would have welcomed anyone who thinks this/said this, to have stood beside me while I was on my hands and knees wailing whilst trying to dig his grave, because I literally couldn't stand through grief. Does that sound 'an easy option'? Rabbits are no less of a best friend than a dog to me.

I totally agree with your decision Jane, and think it very brave. Watching an animal suffer through a long recovery is no easy option. But neither is being strong enough to say 'No, I'm deciding not to put them through this, it isn't kind'. Whoever said this, should be deeply ashamed of themselves. I'm sorry, but very upsetting and making owners feel absolutely awful (when they already do!) for what is, a last act of kindness xxx

It's not :)

It shouldn't be 'easy': killing an animal by whatever means shouldn't be 'easy'.

Last edited:
Very sad poor lovely lad. You really did make the right decision and he was loved to the very end and had lots of lovely things to eat and I'm guessing lots of treats too.

I just got a bit upset because 'elsewhere' people were saying that PTS was the easy option :cry:

Pfft. Rubbish! There's NOTHING remotely easy about putting any animal to sleep. What an ignorant point of view. :evil:

People need to stop and think before they give voice to such opinions. I'm glad it wasn't here (couldn't imagine it would be) but still...I'm sorry this has upset you, Jane. I'd be furious if someone said that to me. Walk a mile in someone else's moccasins is what comes to mind.

Geoffrey was beautiful, Jane. What a hard day that must've been for you saying goodbye to him. :cry: (((((((Hugs)))))))) xxxx

JessBun...spot on post! You're so right and I am sorry for the loss of your beloved doggy. ((((((Hugs)))))) xxx

Completely agree. I am very much in the "just because we can, doesn't mean we should" camp. I do not like the Noel supervet for that reason.

I actual believe that for many PTS is the hardest option. It takes a very brave person to put an animals needs before their own. There are many aspects that affect quality of life, you have to view them as a whole, you can't just decide 1 thing is enough.

IMO, you did the right thing for him. I do not believe in keeping a pet going just because you can. Quality of life and the pet's desire for life HAS to be a major factor in making that very difficult decision. Ignore the hurtful comments Jane. You were the one living with him. Nobody else has the right to make you feel bad.

My view is that the very fact that a Rabbit is prey species, despite having been domesticated means that they cannot 'adapt' to some severe disabilities in the same way as a dog or a cat. Rabbits will always retain the inherent traits of a prey species. I do not believe that a Rabbit who is blind, deaf and unable to move can have any quality of life at all. My opinion is that it would be cruel not to PTS.

My view is that the very fact that a Rabbit is prey species, despite having been domesticated. They will always retain the inherent traits of a prey species. I do not believe that a Rabbit who is blind, deaf and unable to move can have any quality of life at all. My opinion is that it would be cruel not to PTS.

It is cruel Jane and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I don't think you will find anyone on here that wouldn't of come to the same decision as you.

Of course you did the right thing. Whomever said pts is ever easy is a moron and may it rain at all their barbecues, they find a red sock in each load of whites and their feet be forever plagued by stray pieces of Lego.

Rest easy, Geoffrey xx

I am glad this topic has been brought up, because I had to have my Scarlett pts a few years ago, and still wonder did I do the right thing, it is such a horrible decision to make, Scarlett had lots of dentals only weeks apart from each other, and took all the time between dentals to recover, it was horrible to see her shaking every time I took her to the vets, and not enjoying the garden any more, just sitting there looking very sad, I took the decision to let her go even though it was so hard to do, but even now I think "it was only her teeth", but she was suffering so much ! Everyone knows their own bunnies and tries to make the best and kindest decisions for them.:(

I am glad this topic has been brought up, because I had to have my Scarlett pts a few years ago, and still wonder did I do the right thing, it is such a horrible decision to make, Scarlett had lots of dentals only weeks apart from each other, and took all the time between dentals to recover, it was horrible to see her shaking every time I took her to the vets, and not enjoying the garden any more, just sitting there looking very sad, I took the decision to let her go even though it was so hard to do, but even now I think "it was only her teeth", but she was suffering so much ! Everyone knows their own bunnies and tries to make the best and kindest decisions for them.:(

We've had exactly the same conversation about our Scarlet and her teeth. We've already agreed if she has to have frequent procedures or anything requiring invasive treatment or a prolonged recovery we will PTS. She is an old lady and I'll not put her through things that are difficult to cope with. She's been brave for long enough bless her.

Back