• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits are not dogs or cats............ Struggling to bond with him.

I'm struggling a bit with my bond with Alfie. To me he is a bit selfish, all his way. In his enclosure he will lower his head and loves to be groomed. When he is out to run the house he is just "to busy" for any interaction with a human. If he jumps up on us it lasts a few seconds at best and he is off again.

Is this the normal relationship with a seven month old "fixed" male mini lop?

Rod

Yep, I'd say so.

I don't think my buns are the least bit bothered about me, unless of course I have some tasty food going :) x

From what I've heard its very rare for rabbits to be overly loving and affectionate. I have 2, Milo is massively loving and will seek you out to lavish you with love...Rory couldn't care less!!!

He is just being a rabbit - and things are done 'rabbit' way. He is still a baby though - and in time as he matures, he could become more human friendly and want to spend time with you. At the moment - far too many things to do out there.

Definitely a very normal happy bunny.
You're lucky he'll jump up! Mine look at me on the sofa then hop off because I'm sat there.

They spend the entire day asleep together and only want to know me if I have food,or could remotely get them food if they look cute enough.

You can get puzzle toys you can do with him to interact a bit more. Also try laying on the floor on your tummy, mine will come over for a few moments to sniff around me and climb over me.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm struggling a bit with my bond with Alfie. To me he is a bit selfish, all his way. In his enclosure he will lower his head and loves to be groomed. When he is out to run the house he is just "to busy" for any interaction with a human. If he jumps up on us it lasts a few seconds at best and he is off again.

Is this the normal relationship with a seven month old "fixed" male mini lop?

Rod

Hi Rod :wave:

They are all different :D I have had rabbits that stay cuddling on your lap for hours, and others that want to do their own thing. Running around the house sounds just too exciting for him to wait and be petted :D

I have 3 - Che (Male Conti) is affectionate & loves a fuss / all over body massage, we have a very close bond. Alexandra (Female Conti) looks at me with an eye of suspicion, is happy to be stroked sometimes but mostly happy to be left to her own devices. Nicholas (Male Nethie) is a busy bunny, likes a fuss occasionally but is much like your Alfie. Love Bunny personalities!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In his enclosure he will lower his head and loves to be groomed. If he jumps up on us it lasts a few seconds at best and he is off again.

Rod

At just seven months? I waited almost six years to get that from my Bob! Bob now comes and sits with me (about 12 to 18 inches from my feet) after he's had his dinner - this is Bobs way of 'chilling out' with me and frankly it makes me really happy. Yep I know I'm pathetic but the first time bob did a bunny flop next to me i almost cried.

Rod, if you haven't already try reading "The Language of Lagomorphs" it gave me a huge insight into the bunny mindset.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

From what I've heard its very rare for rabbits to be overly loving and affectionate. I have 2, Milo is massively loving and will seek you out to lavish you with love...Rory couldn't care less!!!

All my lionheads were eventually very affectionate but one in particular, Squirrel, tried very hard to be aloof and bitey. I didn't tame her by leaving her alone, I'm afraid. I held her on my lap even though she squirmed and scrabbled at first. She would calm down after about five minutes and relax into being stroked and start tooth purring. If I'd kept away from her when she showed signs of aggression, she'd have spent eight years being a remote bunny who thought she hated being handled.

Hi all, thank you for your replies. Yes I have looked at "Rabbit Speak". We do love him :)

How could you not love this face...........

Sig.jpg

Something to consider is that if he has his own smaller area, then you let him out into the room to play and run around, most rabbits will be too busy exploring this 'new' area to want to be bothered by us owners. One way around this to help you bond more with your bun would be to bunny proof the room and allow him free roam permanently so that he's not getting the newness of being let out each time. Eventually they settle down and instead of needing to explore the area, they take interest in other things... like us :)

Or if free roam isn't a possibility you could try sitting down in his area with him(if you can fit), or in a small pen, or go to a small room like a bathroom, and just spend time sitting with him. It's a bit like when you bond two rabbits together. You limit their space so they can't just wander off from each other and get distracted. The small space means they have to spend time near each other and thus get to know each other better. Works the same when bonding with us, spending time in close proximity will help him get to know you better and so learn to have more trust with you.

Hi there, he is out all the time. I think he is just "busy". The last few days however he has been more smoochie

You could compare bunny 'ownership' to being a 1950s housewife. Your husbun has a very busy day at the office, lots of pressing business to attend to. You're lucky to get a peck on the cheek as he runs out the door, toast in hand. But he still expects dinner on the table at a certain time, and you are obliged to provide affection when he's in the mood. You are to remember all that he likes and provide them with a smile on your face...

He loves you. But you only recently won the right to vote and you mustn't get ahead of yourself.

This has me in stitches, it is so 100% true. ive handled the 6 babies from day 1, they used to jump on my knee and sit snuggling me for ages but slowly over time each of them let me know that they didnt like being picked up and there bunny family was more important and better at bunny stuff than me. I would love to pick them up and give cuddles but its not worth the big stop and being ignored afterwards lol.. they show me they are happy with their countless binkies everyday.

You could compare bunny 'ownership' to being a 1950s housewife. Your husbun has a very busy day at the office, lots of pressing business to attend to. You're lucky to get a peck on the cheek as he runs out the door, toast in hand. But he still expects dinner on the table at a certain time, and you are obliged to provide affection when he's in the mood. You are to remember all that he likes and provide them with a smile on your face...

He loves you. But you only recently won the right to vote and you mustn't get ahead of yourself.

This is SO true :lol:

Back