• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chemo for Lymphoma/Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome in Rabbits

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Will be very very brief . . can give a lot more details if anyone wants or needs. But am in shock at moment.

Peach Blossom has chronic episodes of not eating (no gas) - the last with blood in faces on recovering and now new ultrasound has detected thickened bowel much worse than last ultrasound in Jan.

Vets say either lymphoma or IS and offered chemotherapy. She is only c18 months old but had awful reaction to spay sutures (not at my vets) and then subsequent issues and more ops - so really could be either.

Anyone had experience of IBS in a rabbit?

Or using chemo? She is young and very happy when not having an episode so we will probably try this.

Thank you . . .

PS Talya will be posting similar plea on various facebook groups for me so you may see there as well!

Last edited:
Will be very very brief . . can give a lot more details if anyone wants or needs. But am in shock at moment.

Peach Blossom has chronic episodes of not eating (no gas) - the last with blood in faces on recovering and now new ultrasound has detected thickened bowel much worse than last ultrasound in Jan.

Vets say either lymphoma or IS and offered chemotherapy. She is only c18 months old but had awful reaction to spay sutures (not at my vets) and then subsequent issues and more ops - so really could be either.

Anyone had experience of IBS in a rabbit?

Or using chemo? She is young and very happy when not having an episode so we will probably try this.

Thank you . . .

PS Talya will be posting similar plea on various facebook groups for me so you may see there as well!

I assume they will run bloods or they already have ?

Assume they will once she has hopefully recovered a bit - but went into considerable detail with me as to why diagnosis between the two is difficult (as did iain before he left . . . )
Is there something you feel they should have picked up on?

Assume they will once she has hopefully recovered a bit - but went into considerable detail with me as to why diagnosis between the two is difficult (as did iain before he left . . . )
Is there something you feel they should have picked up on?

Not at all, I just remember how it was so hard to obtain a definitive diagnosis for one of my previous Rabbits (Dermot) who presented with similar symptoms.

Has PB been wormed ? A heavy worm burden can cause the symptoms you describe.

she has been wormed (panacur and drontol) and in fact has had a range of exciting worms in several faecal samples - and we took another one yesterday

We took in another bun (Albertiney0 probably originating in Poland a few months ago and he appears to have arrived with a range of unusually exotic friends which he seems to have shared before we realised he had them.

However PB (or Princess Peach Blossom - PPB as she prefers to be known) has had these episodes for a long time - although they have become much more frequent and serious in the last couple of months and then very bad in last couple of weeks.

She has also been treated for Cocci which she also had -

basically she is an immuno supressed nightmare.

Abandoned at a few months old near a rubbish chute, taken in by a lovely rescue who were let down by a rubbish vet, she ended up with a botched spay, then an undetected (until I got her) huge internal infection/reaction to the spay, then some small lumps in the intestine shortly afterwards, and then a history of chronic GI. As well of course as her totally not working tear duct. Add in the cocci, two types of worms - and she is a miracle walking -

This latest diagnosis has come as a huge blow.

She doesn't have large oval shape poops does she? Mine has regular stasis/gas but she is a megacolon bun

she has been wormed (panacur and drontol) and in fact has had a range of exciting worms in several faecal samples - and we took another one yesterday

We took in another bun (Albertiney0 probably originating in Poland a few months ago and he appears to have arrived with a range of unusually exotic friends which he seems to have shared before we realised he had them.

However PB (or Princess Peach Blossom - PPB as she prefers to be known) has had these episodes for a long time - although they have become much more frequent and serious in the last couple of months and then very bad in last couple of weeks.

Abandoned at a few months old near a rubbish chute, taken in by a lovely rescue who were let down by a rubbish vet, she ended up with a botched spay, then an undetected (until I got her) huge internal infection/reaction to the spay, then some small lumps in the intestine shortly afterwards, and then a history of chronic GI. As well of course as her totally not working tear duct. Add in the cocci, two types of worms - and she is a miracle walking -

Has your Vet considered post surgical adhesions to be a possibility ? Many years ago I had a Doe who was butchered during her spay and she went on to have dreadful GI problems. It was only at PM (I was with a different Vet by then) that the cause was found- LOADS of adhesions which eventually obstructed her bowel.

How long ago was she treated for worms and cocci? I wondered whether she'd had a 'settling down' and getting back to normal (as normal as possible) time?

So from what you're saying, the bowel was thickened on ultrasound 6 months ago, and it has thickened significantly more?

Thank you everyone. Trying to answer queries whilst on phone do cant see all. She may have adhesions but this is considerable thickening all along the gut. Its not megacolon. I have had megacolon buns. Ec induced gi problems also dont seem to have quite this degree of pinpointed pain. Though why its pinpointed when gut is thickened all along is odd. Mighty max. She had episodes before and after worming. Ie fir months beforebut we are now weeks after as well. She has also has panacur regularly and then dontrol

So faurly sure its ibs or lymphoma. I think ibs. Vet says its impossible to say without biopsy. She had first chemotherapy this afternoon and now eating very well and looking ok

I've had IBS for years and it's such an awful thing to have, but in light of the alternative I do hope it turns out to just be the IBS. ((((((Healing and better health for PB vibes coming your way.)))))) xxxxx

Thank you everyone. Trying to answer queries whilst on phone do cant see all. She may have adhesions but this is considerable thickening all along the gut. Its not megacolon. I have had megacolon buns. Ec induced gi problems also dont seem to have quite this degree of pinpointed pain. Though why its pinpointed when gut is thickened all along is odd. Mighty max. She had episodes before and after worming. Ie fir months beforebut we are now weeks after as well. She has also has panacur regularly and then dontrol

So faurly sure its ibs or lymphoma. I think ibs. Vet says its impossible to say without biopsy. She had first chemotherapy this afternoon and now eating very well and looking ok

I hope that the treatment will help her. Do you know what the Chemo' consists of ? No worries if you dont, I am just interested to learn

Sending lots of vibes for PPB :love:

I'm really sorry for your lovely Princess. I agree with your comment about pain when the gut is thickened all along.

Glad she's coped with her first session. Sending lots of vibes for her, and also for you both as you cope with this on top of everything else x

Just to update - 24 hours in and PB is currently bouncing around chasing round the place and leaping on and off the sofa.

Although she would 'normally' have episodes of being fine immediately following episodes of pain and of eating difficulty (not eating basically) - the fact that she is like this 24 hours after having blood coming from the gut lining and being passed as substantial clots and blood is pretty miraculous.

The vets say that the chemo will probably have the worst side effects about 3 days in rather than immediately after the treatment so we will see how she copes then .
They are ordering in anti nausea stuff in preparation (stematil) and we are stocking up on Ellas banana flavour baby feed -

The chemo is Vincristine - and my vet today explained how it works to dampen down inflammatory response so that it should help whether its lymphoma or IBS (in fact she said Inflammatory Bowel not Irritable bowel . . my fault yesterday I was a bit over wrought).

If all is well she will have another dose in 2 weeks time.

Just to update - 24 hours in and PB is currently bouncing around chasing round the place and leaping on and off the sofa.

Although she would 'normally' have episodes of being fine immediately following episodes of pain and of eating difficulty (not eating basically) - the fact that she is like this 24 hours after having blood coming from the gut lining and being passed as substantial clots and blood is pretty miraculous.

The vets say that the chemo will probably have the worst side effects about 3 days in rather than immediately after the treatment so we will see how she copes then .
They are ordering in anti nausea stuff in preparation (stematil) and we are stocking up on Ellas banana flavour baby feed -

The chemo is Vincristine - and my vet today explained how it works to dampen down inflammatory response so that it should help whether its lymphoma or IBS (in fact she said Inflammatory Bowel not Irritable bowel . . my fault yesterday I was a bit over wrought).

I am so pleased you updated Parsnipbun, and that it's looking so positive! It's really interesting that the chemo will dampen down an inflammatory response. You have a very good vet there :D

I hope the side effects don't prove too drastic. Poor PB :love:

We are using Emma at present since iain has left and his new practice not yet up and running. Emma is very good with internals, ultrasounds, and surgery stuff.

Gosh poor PPB :cry: I really hope that she wont feel poorly again due to chemo' side effects. My friends dog had Vincristine as part of his Chemo' treatment. Sending lots more vibes for PPB x

Just to say that Peach Blossom is being totally amazing today - she is running round like a lunatic - (like her old self in fact), eating everything she can get, pooing big (for her) round (for her) poos and generally being like a very well rabbit!!!!

It incredible.

Just hope it lasts . .

Back