• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The importance of monitoring output

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Scarlet's "in hospital" again and I just wanted to describe the chain of events and make a point about how important it is to be aware of normal faecal output and your own rabbit's behaviour.

Three weeks ago Scarlet had "yet another dental"
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...other-traumatic-week-for-Scarlet-the-superbun!

Over the last two or three days her behaviour was a bit off, but it was hot and she's old and doesn't cope well with heat, and she was moulting and that tends to upset her a bit too and she was a bit picky with her food, but she often is as her mouth's a mess. So, maybe that explained it?

BUT, and this is the important bit, her faecal output was way down, only about 30 pellets a day, that's not enough. So I rang Crab Lane, spoke to Ruth, drove her the 90 minutes over there and Heather checked her and thought she could see pus in her saliva.

She's had another GA, and the teeth that I thought had been removed actually had loose crowns that had come off last time and were still there and they had gotten infected in the gums. With some effort they've gotten them out. She's an old rabbit (about 9) and to leave it until she stopped eating would've put her in a way worse position. She has a way to go, her gums have been debrided and cheek teeth removed again but if we hadn't caught this early she would be in a way worse position.

At the point I took her in she was: eating, pooing, weeing, doing rabbity things.

The purpose of this post is know your rabbit, don't assume they're ok if they're eating, if they appear to have stuff going in it should be coming out and if faecal output drops they could be in trouble.

Hopefully she'll bounce back again.

Scarlet's "in hospital" again and I just wanted to describe the chain of events and make a point about how important it is to be aware of normal faecal output and your own rabbit's behaviour.

Three weeks ago Scarlet had "yet another dental"
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...other-traumatic-week-for-Scarlet-the-superbun!

Over the last two or three days her behaviour was a bit off, but it was hot and she's old and doesn't cope well with heat, and she was moulting and that tends to upset her a bit too and she was a bit picky with her food, but she often is as her mouth's a mess. So, maybe that explained it?

BUT, and this is the important bit, her faecal output was way down, only about 30 pellets a day, that's not enough. So I rang Crab Lane, spoke to Ruth, drove her the 90 minutes over there and Heather checked her and thought she could see pus in her saliva.

She's had another GA, and the teeth that I thought had been removed actually had loose crowns that had come off last time and were still there and they had gotten infected in the gums. With some effort they've gotten them out. She's an old rabbit (about 9) and to leave it until she stopped eating would've put her in a way worse position. She has a way to go, her gums have been debrided and cheek teeth removed again but if we hadn't caught this early she would be in a way worse position.

At the point I took her in she was: eating, pooing, weeing, doing rabbity things.

The purpose of this post is know your rabbit, don't assume they're ok if they're eating, if they appear to have stuff going in it should be coming out and if faecal output drops they could be in trouble.

Hopefully she'll bounce back again.

Yup, indeed, if what goes in doesn't come out again, you've got trouble.

Many vibes for Scarlet :)

More if you think it's going in it should be coming out, if it's not and it's a dental rabbit there may not as much going in as would appear. Thanks for the vibes MM and BB

Thanks Red Fraggle useful advice for us all. Hope Scarlett gets back to herself soon after being through so much bless her xx

Sending vibes for the lovely and very precious Scarlett. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

More if you think it's going in it should be coming out, if it's not and it's a dental rabbit there may not as much going in as would appear.

Can you tell Scarlet that Auntie Jane has aged another decade after yesterday's stress !! Goodness knows how many grey hairs you have sprouted over the last 48 hours RF :shock:

Hope Her Ladyship had a comfortable night and that her Staff are doing as she tells them. Topping up the vibes for your special girl :love:

Best wishes for Scarlet :) I would certainly worry if there wasn't a certain scattering: even with two it should be easy to see when there's 'not enough', even if you can't tell who it is (or if it's both just starting!). I've noticed my two's change shape depending on the weather (and therefore how much and what they're eating/drinking).

Very good advice RF. :) I hope Scarlet will soon be back to herself. Poor dear, nothing worse than wonky teeth. ((((((((Vibes))))))) xxxxx

Thanks, she's doing ok, not eating yet and unlikely to be home for a day or two yet but she's still alive and right now I'm happy with that!

Thanks, she's doing ok, not eating yet and unlikely to be home for a day or two yet but she's still alive and right now I'm happy with that!

Hope that Scarlet's mouth is less sore by now and that maybe later today she will feel able to eat some soft food for herself. Topping up the vibes for her :love:

Back