• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toe bleeding after nail clipping

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Aboleth has sticky-outy toes. She's a dainty little girl, and almost stands on tiptoe on her front feet. As such, her outermost toe 'flicks out' to the outside so her nails don't get worn down as much as her 'normal' toes. I asked the vet to clip the worst of the two when they went for their RVHD2 jabs, and the vet caught the quick because 'it's an odd angle' (she's not the usual rabbit-savvy vet). Aboleth was very good about it and didn't go completely mental, but she was very scared. She got cleaned up and caustic pencil put on (although she cleaned at least some of that off while still at the vets!), and came home with no problems.

Her foot was fine the rest of that day and the Saturday, and then Sunday morning I noticed it was red again. Not all fresh blood but I wasn't sure how fresh it was. A lot was dark red-brown dried stuff. She was still using the paw as normal, no lifting beyond what she usually does (she sometimes stands with one foot up, and she was alternating those OK). I thought it best to watch-and-wait, assuming she'd just knocked it in a mad dash (there are a lot of sticks in their run at the moment).

Well, it's still red-brown. There's been no change otherwise. I stroked her affected paw gently while she was having headrubs last night and she didn't flinch or run off, she just moved it away slowly like she always does ("stupid human with a foot fetish!"), so I don't think she's in pain. But I am concerned it's not clean.

Should I try and get a look at it? She's the more-handleable of the two but still not hugely cooperative. I am loath to take her to the vets if I can help it, she hates being in the carrier when the lid's closed, and I',m not sure there's much they could do that I couldn't? What about bathing it in warm water? If only she was like Lopsy and dunked her feet in the water bowl all the time! :roll: :lol:

I'd clean it up myself at home. If you can get some hibitane from the vets this would be best as it should disinfect it as well.

Hopefully it's just where she's caught it. So long as it doesn't seem to be bothering her I'd just monitor.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I had a better look this morning and it seems like it's just old blood from Monday or so: there's a good chunk of white fur under the rusty-red mark, the white bit being where her toe actually is. It is on her blind side so it wouldn't surprise me if she's stepped on something or landed funny on a step. I'll give cleaning it up a go tomorrow morning if I don't have time tonight.

Thanks for the hibitane advice: my two are a bit accident prone so that sort of thing might come in handy!

I'm currently researching nail clippers (loads of threads on this already) in case I need to do the other side: I don't mind trying to do Aboleth's as long as I don't have to do Lopsy's! :mrgreen:

Back