• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Continental Sex

lullabella

New Kit
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been doing alot of research on giant continentals, the only thing im struggling to find is what sex is calmer and more relaxed a buck or a doe? any advice from experienced giant owners please? we also have a dog who is very laid back, so wondering if they will bond? x

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been doing alot of research on giant continentals, the only thing im struggling to find is what sex is calmer and more relaxed a buck or a doe? any advice from experienced giant owners please? we also have a dog who is very laid back, so wondering if they will bond? x

Hi lullabella :wave:

I have a conti female who is bonded with a mini rex. I have had the privilege of being owned by many rabbits (big and small!) and honestly, they're all so individual, and those differences are chiefly down to personality rather than sex. If you neuter and spay your rabbits (and you should) then this helps avoid undesirable behaviour. Rabbits have complex social needs so require another rabbit to bond with. The easiest pairing is m/f so you would have one of each anyway :)

Hello

Are you intending on obtaining a Baby Conti or are you going to a Rescue Centre and probably obtaining an adult. As with any type of Rabbit how they are pre puberty gives no indication of how they may be once their hormones kick in. Neutering can address some of this, but it cant guarantee that you will definitely have a cuddly laid back big Bunny. However, if you obtained an adult already neutered Conti you would know exactly what their character was like.

Generally speaking neutered Bucks are more laid back than Does. But again, there are always exceptions to the rule.

As for a dog and a Rabbit 'bonding'. They are two totally different species, one a prey species the other a predator. Whilst it is possible for Dogs and Rabbits to live peacefully in the same household they should never, under any circumstances, be left alone together. Not even for a few minutes and regardless of how sweet and gentle the dog may be.

Good luck with finding your Rabbit :)

lullabella, please excuse the naughty RU members !! We are not always like a 'Carry On' film here, HONEST ! :lol:

Lol it's ok.

I was going to get a baby from a breeder so I can handle daily, but I'm now worried about when they mature and get hormonal [emoji53].

I've had rabbits before but only mini lops and lion heads, all have been bucks. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol it's ok.

I was going to get a baby from a breeder so I can handle daily, but I'm now worried about when they mature and get hormonal [emoji53].

I've had rabbits before but only mini lops and lion heads, all have been bucks. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If having a laid back Giant is very important then it'd be better to adopt an already neutered young adult. A Baby Giant may be all cuddly and happy to be a 'lap Bunny'. But once their hormones kick in and they become mature they may have a very different nature. Some will remain chilled and people orientated. Some may become more aloof and less keen on being handled.

Most Giants I have cared for have been very people friendly and of a calm nature. All bar one, a French Lop called Victoria Meldrew. Now she was a force to be reckoned with :shock:

I have a male conti who is the epitomy of a laid back people bunny.

However, I can categorically say, as a baby (he was 12 weeks) he was like some nuclear powered nutter who wouldn't sit still for a second.

I would change him for the world but he was mighty hard work at first!

A "grown up" may well be a bit easier!! :lol:

My Delilah...8+kgs was both a joy and a nightmare. Funny, loveable, fearless, intelligent, stupid at times, dangerous because of her size....but I loved her.

If you have him or her neutered as early as possible, there will be a limit to hormonal behaviour.

Back