• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

problem with cats bothering rabbits!

tashakatie

Young Bun
How do you keep cats out of your garden? I have tried shooing away and using a water spray bottle but they return all the time with no care for me- even if I am in the garden they flounce in jumping over the wall or fence- both at least 5-6ft high.

I have no problem with cats and don't want any harm to come to them, however it is starting to cause a major issue with me as there are about 10 (not exaggerating) cats on my small street and a large number of them think it's okay to come in and out of my garden as they please.
They don't make a mess but one in particular sleeps under a bush in our garden and generally hangs around way too much.

If I didn't have rabbits this would be fine, however, I don't want to encourage them as my rabbits often have (supervised) free roam time.
It would be nice to not have to constantly worry about trying to chase cats out of my garden for my rabbits safety

One tonight tried to get inside the rabbit shed while they were in there!! Luckily the doors are secure, but I would like to leave the main doors open during the day with just the mesh doors closed for ventilation but feel it's just not safe. :(

Very frustrated and frankly very angry that cats are allowed to do as they please and owners have no concern for whether or not they are bothering other people! You wouldn't let dogs behave like this and I'm sure if my rabbits were in there garden regularly they would have issues to raise with me! :evil:

You could try spikes on the fence? Certainly putting something uncomfortable under the bush would help deter that particular cat from lounging about there.

I have put wire all along the top of my fencing which stands about 1' higher than the fence since which I have had no cats or foxes. Wished I'd thought of this earlier as I used to have Willow along the top of the fence but it only lasted about a year then you had to renew it.

I know some of my friends filled big 2l fizzy drink or similar bottles with water as a 'reflective' deterrent? Apparently that works on some of them! Other forms of reflective stuff like CDs have also worked in the past, like CDs nailed to fenceposts (back when you used to get spam AOL CDs in the post!).

I can't offer any practical suggestions but I'm in the same situation and it is a pain :( I like cats but our street is also full of them, and I put my bunnies out with just some pen panels to stop them getting to things like the hedge and bins but I have to watch them constantly, I feel I can't even read a book out there with them as every time now at least one cat has come in and they're hard to shoo away. They sit outside the hedge looking through and the bunnies stamp and get too scared so I have to take them in anyway.

Reading the thread with interest, as I'm in the same boat too. I like cats, and like the OP don't want any harm to come to them. But I don't like them in my garden when I have no cats myself! I too wish owners were required to keep them on their property. Even if I had no buns, I like to feed the birds and don't want any harm coming to them in my garden. I also particularly don't like having to pick up cat poo from garden all the time, especially when once decided to **** on the top of the guinea pig hutch!! :censored: :evil: We were going to get a cheap water pistol.

If anyone has any suggestions for keeping them on my property, I, like my rabbits, am all ears. I would LOVE to keep them on my property! I hate the thought of them bugging other people, or, God forbid, harming other animals. But they always find a way out. I had one leap from a second story window!

I think a lot of people (hate to say, but it seems common with expensive breeds) actually use a cattery - an enclosure to keep them safe in the garden. Much like you'd use an enclosure for other animals who can escape.

There is something you can do with your fence too - like attach some sort of wire at the top at an angle which means they can't climb out. When and if we own a place, we'll likely do something similar to prevent foxes and cats etc. Not just for buns or birds. I'm just tired of picking other peoples pet poo up :lol: it's filthy. And unfortunately, not everyone worms and de fleas their cats. X

We have cat scarers which work on the majority of the cats we used to have. There is only one that has outsmarted it so knows how to get around the garden without setting them off.

They don't bother the birds or rabbits.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What are the cat scarers DP? Would be really interested in getting one, as long as they don't bother buns/birds. :)

What are the cat scarers DP? Would be really interested in getting one, as long as they don't bother buns/birds. :)
These http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3571464.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:596650041|agid:28594642405|tid:pla-182980862965|crid:95889903685|nw:g|rnd:12251382114095394497|dvc:m|adp:1o9&gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq8591S4z9TcuM0CGQVIW5jjlbYpxVQBBrM0LLngBaJCyxEBoCfjzw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I like the wire on the fence idea, don't think the council would allow it though as to stop them using the shed to get over, my fence would have to be at least 18 ft tall :p no room for a cattery and don't think the council would allow that anyway.

My cats were all neutered young and don't stray far. My neighbour's are entire though, highly predatory/vicious and roam miles. I do try to be considerate (irresponsible pet ownership makes my blood boil) but it's really difficult with cats, especially rescues as once they've been free range it's actually cruel to keep them confined.

I love mine but I won't be getting any more. I don't think they're really suited to living with people and other animals. They need freedom, outlets for their predatory behaviours and are highly territorial. They carry horrible diseases. You can't really train them.

Sorry sorry sorry Monkey Ralph and Groucho, mummy loves you very much :(

I'm sorry you're being bothered, OP. I totally understand your frustration.

Why would the council not let you have an enclosure in the garden, ERC? That's one mighty high shed - but I suppose if you really wanted to keep them on your property you could dismantle shed and relocate it?

especially rescues as once they've been free range it's actually cruel to keep them confined.

Yes, and unfortunately cruel on all the other animals they terrorise. Particularly animals that responsible owners are confining (runs etc). It does make me v cross as I have one visiting cat in particular that likes to stalk the guinea pigs in their run. When not stalking he sits there and stares at them. It frightens the poor piggies and it's really not fair on them. So as much as I do like cats (and sympathise with struggles keeping them in) I still feel they really should be kept on owners property. We have enough worries as owners with foxes, without pesky domestic cats which can be controlled on top of this :( As op said if this were dogs or other pets it wouldn't be allowed. Not a rant at you (hope it doesn't come across that way!) just a rant in general :lol: Been chasing this one cat off loads lately and it's driving me nuts :lol:

Another thing that worries me is the risk to the cats from roads/traffic. And another consideration is your cat might well jump into gardens with 'prey' pets, but what about when they jump in a garden to get surprised with a dog? Dread to think how many have been killed like this. Also whilst it's disgusting people would do this, I've seen cases of people who hate cats harming them when they come on their property because they are so exasperated by it. They are of course also directly responsible for plummeting wildlife numbers. I'm inclined to agree I think, about them being pets. Whilst they are domesticated and make wonderful companions, they have too many strong instincts that, if not controlled, wreak havoc. I expect something will be done about this in the distant future to put more responsibilities on cat owners, albeit slowly. And I'm definitely all for it :thumb:

If there are certain spots they enter the garden, get off my garden cat crystals?

I gave up in my previous garden there were so many cats, but the rabbits got used to them and ignore them...none of them bothered them at all, except one who was a very friendly and curious kitten who just wanted to say hello:lol:

I put fence pikka strips up, the new neighbours got 2 cats so as soon as they moved in they started causing problems, so I put the spikes up, on fence not got spikes I got the green netting up over trellis

Why would the council not let you have an enclosure in the garden, ERC? That's one mighty high shed - but I suppose if you really wanted to keep them on your property you could dismantle shed and relocate it?

Yes, and unfortunately cruel on all the other animals they terrorise. Particularly animals that responsible owners are confining (runs etc). It does make me v cross as I have one visiting cat in particular that likes to stalk the guinea pigs in their run. When not stalking he sits there and stares at them. It frightens the poor piggies and it's really not fair on them. So as much as I do like cats (and sympathise with struggles keeping them in) I still feel they really should be kept on owners property. We have enough worries as owners with foxes, without pesky domestic cats which can be controlled on top of this :( As op said if this were dogs or other pets it wouldn't be allowed. Not a rant at you (hope it doesn't come across that way!) just a rant in general :lol: Been chasing this one cat off loads lately and it's driving me nuts :lol:

Another thing that worries me is the risk to the cats from roads/traffic. And another consideration is your cat might well jump into gardens with 'prey' pets, but what about when they jump in a garden to get surprised with a dog? Dread to think how many have been killed like this. Also whilst it's disgusting people would do this, I've seen cases of people who hate cats harming them when they come on their property because they are so exasperated by it. They are of course also directly responsible for plummeting wildlife numbers. I'm inclined to agree I think, about them being pets. Whilst they are domesticated and make wonderful companions, they have too many strong instincts that, if not controlled, wreak havoc. I expect something will be done about this in the distant future to put more responsibilities on cat owners, albeit slowly. And I'm definitely all for it :thumb:

The shed is average height but cats are good jumpers and in order to erect an insurmountable barrier on top of the shed it would have to be HUGE. The shed is council property so I can't dismantle it. The council don't like structures over 6ft and I wouldn't be able to attach it to the house without making moderation to windows/doors which the HA don't allow. We can't even get a cat flap here. I have considered this.

Cats are sadly part of the British ecosystem now. Humans are responsible for plummeting numbers in wildlife, not cats. It's all very well putting the onus on cat owners but ultimately we are responsible for introducing them to this country and their needs have to be considered. Rescues are full of them, even more than rabbits. I don't think they belong here but we need to weigh things up and take their welfare into consideration.

We live away from main roads and my cats don't stray far beyond my property. They aren't aggressive, they are neutered, de-fleaed, de--wormed, vaccinated, and kept in at night. I strongly resent the implication that allowing cats to roam within reason is irresponsible. I'm responsible for all my animals.

You wouldn't keep a rabbit in a hutch that was too small for its needs. Cats have the same right.

I would be inclined to disagree about them being part of the ecosytem now. They are 'domesticated' pets - that can become feral and survive pretty well. They have no natural predators here. Stray dogs are not 'part of the ecosystem' either. Certain snakes can and have survived/bred in pockets in the UK - again, humans fault but not part of the eco system in my eyes. They are also responsible for harming Scottish wild cat numbers, too, which are very endangered (less than 100 in the wild) - this was taken from Scottish Wildcats website
'but today the primary threat is cross-mating with feral domestic cats'

Yes cats have a right to space - but they don't have a right to terrorise other peoples pets on their own property. My pets have just as much right to be free from fear and distress from other peoples pets, whether it's cats or dogs (and unfortunately yes it seems in this area people can't control their dogs either) as a cat has right to space. My bunnies have a right to space - but they still need to be enclosed to keep them safe. Cats have dangers when allowed to roam willy nilly as well - as I mentioned, road traffic (how many cats are killed per year on roads!), dogs on other properties etc. They don't have a right to decimate British Wildlife. Some people are frightened of cats - I used to be petrified of them! Just like some people are frightened of dogs and wouldn't want a strange dog on their property - the same goes for cats.

You're absolutely right - it's not the cats fault. I fully blame humans, and societies attitudes that our wildlife comes lower down the chain that our domesticated pets :thumb: The original post was not a rant at you (and I did say as much too). Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult not to be passionate about it, when cats pee all over forage in the garden for both my buns/pigs and also food for my stick insects, poo on top of my hutches, terrorise my pets and leave animal carcasses in my garden and when you've even seen them poo all over someone's veg patch in their garden - it does get to you!! :thumb:

There's no easy answer now it's so out of control. But I think large enclosures in peoples gardens (ie: cattery) would be a start, to protecting not only wildlife, other peoples pets etc but also the cats themselves.

I put fence pikka strips up, the new neighbours got 2 cats so as soon as they moved in they started causing problems, so I put the spikes up, on fence not got spikes I got the green netting up over trellis

So the spikes do work? We were also thinking of trying this, but weren't sure if it was effective.

Sorry for getting my back up JessBun, you did say it wasn't personal but I did feel lumped in with all the cat owners who don't give a toss about wildlife or other animals. I'm not usually sensitive but animal welfare is something I'm passionate about and I really am doing everything remotely feasible to uphold those principles. So you see it does feel personal.

I'm very protective of my bunnies and piggies too so I totally understand where you're coming from.

We humans have made such a mess of so many animals' lives and in such a spectacular fashion that the answers are never going to be straightforward nor entirely favourable to all our fuzzy friends. It makes me very sad. I'm just trying to spread the compassion as evenly as possible.

There are lots of cat containment systems out there that cat owners can attach to their fences to keep them safe in their own gardens, but these look the most attractive http://www.katzecure.com/. It's a roller system that just rolls round as soon as the cat jumps on it, so it can never get over the top :thumb:. Can also be attached to brickwork and gates etc.

Back