• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kongs for rabbits

As great as Kongs are for dogs, they're just not suited to small animals, especially rabbits. I would be worried about Tapla chewing off and ingesting pieces of it as they are made from a 'soft' plastic, if that makes sense.

Instead you could use toilet/ kitchen roll tubes stuffed with hay and some treats. Or if you're looking for a more robust puzzle toy, treat balls made out of hard plastic would be ideal, I believe Viovet stock them too.

Best of luck in your search for a husbun. :)

I agree - I wouldn't use kongs for rabbits/guinea pigs. I've used them for birds, hamsters & ferrets but these animals are more designed to use their feet & mouth.

I'd go for something like toilet tubes stuffed with hay & treats, greens hung from a line of string etc. There are loads of ideas in the homemade toys thread.

I actually hat that exact one in the link for Julie. She never actually chewed pieces off or anything. She would toss it around a lot but her favorite was the treat ball. She preffered balls and could roll a ball forever if something was in the ball or not. I liked toilet rolls better for hay. I put her pellets in the kong but one toss and all the small pellets scattered everywhere.

Ah, thanks. I've never had dogs and didn't realise they were so soft that they could break off. Will avoid them then! Thanks :)

Ah, thanks. I've never had dogs and didn't realise they were so soft that they could break off. Will avoid them then! Thanks :)

Actually the kong in your link is not for dogs,it is for small animals and Julie had that that same one. It is not in the least bit soft. Julie's teeth never penetrated the thing. I really think it would take a ton of chewing to ever break pieces off the one that she had which is the one pictured.

I tried the small animal one for the rats and they chewed huge chunks out of it instantly. It went in the bin as I was worried it was a choke/blockage risk.

Back