• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is the right time to say goodbye?

TD86

Alpha Buck
Penfold (AKA Felicity) has lost the use of her back legs, not entirely, some days she can hop into the garden but on days like today she is dragging herself across the floor using her front paws as her back ones have become splayed (but again not all the time). She is on 8mg Metacam a day and has good days and bad. She is eating, drinking and still like her old self but without being able to run, binky and do all the other things she used to do.

I feel like it's almost time for her to go to rainbow bridge and will help her do so, however OH is reluctant as he saw a video online saying as long as they are interested in us and their surroundings, they are eating and drinking and trying to be active that they're not ready to go as they have a quality of life.

I feel like her quality of life has diminished in a way as she can't go out and explore anymore like she used to and now struggles to even get out onto the ramp which is attached to her hutch and was custom built by us so there is no step.

We have discussed making her wheels however she's lost so much weight recently, it's hard to understand what to do. She is my 10 year old baby and I would really regret making a mistake.

What would you do?

I'm sorry you are faced with such a difficult decision. I honestly don't know what I would do :( Do you know what caused the hind leg weakness & do you feel her pain is managed with Metacam ? Does Penfold live with another bunny? I think I'd lean towards giving her a little more time & closely monitor her. Do you have a trusted vet & if so what is their opinion? My apologies for all the questions x

This is so hard, but I always think at this stage, what would I do if the bunny was a human, and at ten years old it's no big deal that she's not running and binkying. That age is equivalent to an 80 year old person (at least) and an 80 year old wouldn't necessarily be running and jumping, but their life would be no less valid.

If Penfold isn't in any pain, I think she is probably better in her life with you for the time being.

Penfold (AKA Felicity) has lost the use of her back legs, not entirely, some days she can hop into the garden but on days like today she is dragging herself across the floor using her front paws as her back ones have become splayed (but again not all the time). She is on 8mg Metacam a day and has good days and bad. She is eating, drinking and still like her old self but without being able to run, binky and do all the other things she used to do.

I feel like it's almost time for her to go to rainbow bridge and will help her do so, however OH is reluctant as he saw a video online saying as long as they are interested in us and their surroundings, they are eating and drinking and trying to be active that they're not ready to go as they have a quality of life.

I feel like her quality of life has diminished in a way as she can't go out and explore anymore like she used to and now struggles to even get out onto the ramp which is attached to her hutch and was custom built by us so there is no step.

We have discussed making her wheels however she's lost so much weight recently, it's hard to understand what to do. She is my 10 year old baby and I would really regret making a mistake.

What would you do?

I am sorry to hear that Penfold is now very disabled. Some Rabbits can continue to enjoy life despite severe disability, but there is no 'one size fits all' with regards to when it is the right time to let them go. To make that decision you need to know the individual Rabbit, everything about them not just their disability.

I do not consider the fact that a Rabbit is still eating to be a significant factor when considering quality of life. I have let several terminally ill/severely disabled Rabbits go despite the fact that they were still eating really well. There were many other factors to take into account when assessing quality of life. I think if a severely disabled single Rabbit has to be alone a lot due to the care giver's work commitments etc then they cannot have a good quality of life. A severely disabled Rabbit needs someone there for them at all times, in my opinion.

Personally I think it is kinder to PTS a bit too soon than a bit too late. Many will think I am 'cruel' for stating that, but I stand by it.

I hope that you and your OH can come to an agreement as to what is best for Penfold as it is really only the two of you who are in the position to make that judgement call.

It is a difficult decision, especially when a beloved pet has some good days scattered with not good days. Sending you some vibes so you and your OH will come to a decision. Perhaps it would help if OH were to go with you to the vet to discuss options and your bunnies current/future needs.

Thanks all. She made the decision for us, I got home from work and OH said she had rapidly detiorated, hadn't moved all day since sitting in her new 'spot' and flies were surrounding her where she had developed diarrhea and couldn't clean herself. We've just got back from the vets in bits as he had to see the other patients so we couldn't be with her when he did it. At least she's in a better place now 😭😭

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks all. She made the decision for us, I got home from work and OH said she had rapidly detiorated, hadn't moved all day since sitting in her new 'spot' and flies were surrounding her where she had developed diarrhea and couldn't clean herself. We've just got back from the vets in bits as he had to see the other patients so we couldn't be with her when he did it. At least she's in a better place now ����

So sorry for your loss. Sometimes the only thing left to do is to let them go. She will live in your hearts and minds always. Sweet dreams little one.

Thanks all. She made the decision for us, I got home from work and OH said she had rapidly detiorated, hadn't moved all day since sitting in her new 'spot' and flies were surrounding her where she had developed diarrhea and couldn't clean herself. We've just got back from the vets in bits as he had to see the other patients so we couldn't be with her when he did it. At least she's in a better place now 😭😭

I am so sorry :cry:

RIP Penfold, reunited with Dangermouse now xx

Back