• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meals on wheels

Zoobec

Staff member
Been weeding and pruning in the garden, anything safe for goats I left in the wheelbarrow. Pumpkin and Pickle were very pleased :)

A lovely feast for them !!

Do you have a Smallholding ?

If so I am more than a little bit jealous !

Depends how you term a small holding I suppose. To have goats you have to have a County Parish Holding number (CPH) so technically yes, but actually in practice it's a half acre piece of woodland we bought to extend our previously tiny garden. It was, when we bought it, overgrown, full of a lot of dead trees and rubbish people had dumped, including building rubbish. Over the years we have fenced, strimmed, cleared, had countless skips, I've broken a few mowers trying to mow stuff that shouldn't be mown, and finally we have something more like a paddock with the best of the trees and weeds in it. We planted a beech hedge.

Salt and Pepper, our original goats, pretty much cleared it of brambles so in spring we get lots of wild garlic in the shadiest spots. It looks nice when it's in flower, but smelly :lol:

The goats are the only farm animals we have, we did have chickens but when the last one died I said I didn't want any more for the time being.

Depends how you term a small holding I suppose. To have goats you have to have a County Parish Holding number (CPH) so technically yes, but actually in practice it's a half acre piece of woodland we bought to extend our previously tiny garden. It was, when we bought it, overgrown, full of a lot of dead trees and rubbish people had dumped, including building rubbish. Over the years we have fenced, strimmed, cleared, had countless skips, I've broken a few mowers trying to mow stuff that shouldn't be mown, and finally we have something more like a paddock with the best of the trees and weeds in it. We planted a beech hedge.

Salt and Pepper, our original goats, pretty much cleared it of brambles so in spring we get lots of wild garlic in the shadiest spots. It looks nice when it's in flower, but smelly :lol:

The goats are the only farm animals we have, we did have chickens but when the last one died I said I didn't want any more for the time being.

It sounds lovely, but hard work !

It's a lovely photo Zoobec.

Do you have photos of the rest of your land? :)

Wonderful picture :love: It's nice to have somewhere that's a bit untamed :) The goats look very contented with their environment.

Wonderful picture :love: It's nice to have somewhere that's a bit untamed :) The goats look very contented with their environment.

Thanks :) yes, the wood and the garden are both very untamed :lol: they do seem happy :thumb:

Lovely photo :love: My dad owns a paddock and is wondering whether to get goats or alpacas :love:

I don't know anything about alpacas, but goats are great, very funny, very clever, expert escape artists, prefer weeds and hedges and bark to grass. Feel free to ask/PM me if you have any goaty questions :thumb: they need a shelter available at all times as their fur is not waterproof. First drop of rain means they run to the shed:lol:

Aw, your goats are cute. Sounds amazing what you have done with the land. I'd love to have a plot somewhere, big enough for a couple of ponies :) x

Awwww....Pumpkin! :love: I don't think I've seen a recent photo of him. :D

Yup, that looks like a scene from Lady and the Tramp...all they need is to both grab the same piece of forage from either end! :lol:

There's more than a few folks here who keep alpacas. I haven't seen the stock recently on the land where the farm is, perhaps they decided it wasn't for them. It's a big job keeping large animals comfortable during the deep cold of winter here. It kills me to see horses/cows standing out in it sometimes. :(

We have 5 acres where we are now (sadly not for long) and we've done nowt with it. Well, OH did put in a five hole golf course when we were first here. Needless to say you can't get to the greens anymore, it's all deep rough! :lol:
Where we're going I'm getting a nicely manicured (and sadly weed treated) lawn, so I won't be letting any fluffies do any grazing, but seeing these two just brought it all back for me how well Tippy and Choccy kept the yard. :)

Pumpkin and Pickle are just darling! :love:

I don't know anything about alpacas, but goats are great, very funny, very clever, expert escape artists, prefer weeds and hedges and bark to grass. Feel free to ask/PM me if you have any goaty questions :thumb: they need a shelter available at all times as their fur is not waterproof. First drop of rain means they run to the shed:lol:

Aw thank you, I will do if my dad asks for any help :thumb: Oh bless them, I never knew that! There's two stables and a field shelter so plenty of opportunity for my dad to look into a few different options but think they're leaning towards goats :D :love:

Back