• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Sparky

lauraj27

Warren Scout
So as some of you may know, Sparky had a seizure earlier this year and developed head tilt. With a lot of TLC we got him through it. He is still a bit wobbly on one side when he tries to move too quickly but all in all he made a good recovery.

Tonight however, he has decided he doesn't want anything to eat. It looks as though he is trying to go to the bathroom and pass something through but is struggling. He is moulting at the moment so it could be he's just having trouble pushing that through.

He has had a dose of metacam and gut motility agent but I would really appreciate some vibes, especially as this time last year (15th August) we lost Evie and on 17 August 2009 we lost Flopsy so my mind is in overdrive!

So as some of you may know, Sparky had a seizure earlier this year and developed head tilt. With a lot of TLC we got him through it. He is still a bit wobbly on one side when he tries to move too quickly but all in all he made a good recovery.

Tonight however, he has decided he doesn't want anything to eat. It looks as though he is trying to go to the bathroom and pass something through but is struggling. He is moulting at the moment so it could be he's just having trouble pushing that through.

He has had a dose of metacam and gut motility agent but I would really appreciate some vibes, especially as this time last year (15th August) we lost Evie and on 17 August 2009 we lost Flopsy so my mind is in overdrive!

Oh Laura, yes, poor Sparky!

I am so glad he has made a good recovery. Sending loads of eating and pooing vibes for him to get better asap xx

Thank you Mighty Max.

Just to say that Sparky has now eaten some kale, hay and had his head in his food bowl.

I go from zero to panic in 0.0001 seconds especially around this time of year and given his history! He is 8 years old bless him but I am nowhere near ready for the inevitable!!

I hope that Sparky is feeling better now ?

I wonder if the straining was him trying to wee rather than to poo ? Bladder problems/cystitis can cause the same symptoms. I expect you'll be off to the Vets with him today if he's still not right x

Thank you Mighty Max.

Just to say that Sparky has now eaten some kale, hay and had his head in his food bowl.

I go from zero to panic in 0.0001 seconds especially around this time of year and given his history! He is 8 years old bless him but I am nowhere near ready for the inevitable!!

No I agree, 8 is nowhere near leaving time :D

I hope he's OK this morning? x

Thank you for all of the vibes

By 11pm when we went to bed last night he had eaten all of his nuggets, lots of hay and a few bits of kale we had given him. He had also passed droppings, some were quite large and oval shaped, with a bit of what I assume was fur sticking out the ends.

Every time I gave another handful of hay he was dancing about, standing up and getting very excited as well as munching it straight down.

He's always been a bit of stasis prone / gassy bunny even though his diet is pretty much just hay with the occasional veg and a few nuggets. Thankfully we have a cupboard full of bunny medicine!

Jack's Jane I didn't think about bladder sludge/cystitis. His bum is clean and dry and his wee is normal colour, no chalkiness or blood in it. Are there any other signs / symptoms I should watch out for just in case?

By 11pm when we went to bed last night he had eaten all of his nuggets, lots of hay and a few bits of kale we had given him. He had also passed droppings, some were quite large and oval shaped, with a bit of what I assume was fur sticking out the ends.

Every time I gave another handful of hay he was dancing about, standing up and getting very excited as well as munching it straight down.

He's always been a bit of stasis prone / gassy bunny even though his diet is pretty much just hay with the occasional veg and a few nuggets. Thankfully we have a cupboard full of bunny medicine!

Jack's Jane I didn't think about bladder sludge/cystitis. His bum is clean and dry and his wee is normal colour, no chalkiness or blood in it. Are there any other signs / symptoms I should watch out for just in case?

Episodes of apparent abdominal pain- ie not eating, tummy pressing, restlessness. Episodes of seeming to be 'straining'. Drinking a lot more or, perversely, not drinking at all. Spotting wee rather than doing a full wee. Leaking wee (wet tail/tummy/bum) Loss of litter tray habits.

http://articles.extension.org/pages...diseases-in-rabbits:-urinary-tract-infections

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

This is good news :D

It doesn't sounds like typical symptoms of bladder sludge with what you've described. There could be any number of reasons for him slowing down on his eating, moulting (as you noted) being one of them.

I hope he continues to improve :D

Thanks for the info Jack's Jane, we will keep a close eye on him to make sure he is ok. We had a guinea pig that developed bladder sludge/bladder stones and she had a wet bum and back, was straining and making horrific noises when she went for a wee. Her wee also became very discoloured. I know that they are different from rabbits but that's the only experience I have with bladder problems!

He seems to be doing well. He was eating hay when I got in from work and seems much happier in himself. I did spot a couple of string of pearls in his litter tray so I am hoping that it was just his moult. Harley did exactly the same thing earlier in the year. None of my bunnies seem to moult at the same time, even Harley and Sparky who are both indoor bunnies!

Thanks for the info Jack's Jane, we will keep a close eye on him to make sure he is ok. We had a guinea pig that developed bladder sludge/bladder stones and she had a wet bum and back, was straining and making horrific noises when she went for a wee. Her wee also became very discoloured. I know that they are different from rabbits but that's the only experience I have with bladder problems!

He seems to be doing well. He was eating hay when I got in from work and seems much happier in himself. I did spot a couple of string of pearls in his litter tray so I am hoping that it was just his moult. Harley did exactly the same thing earlier in the year. None of my bunnies seem to moult at the same time, even Harley and Sparky who are both indoor bunnies!

The string or pearls poo was probably what caused the pain episode. If you do not already do so it would help to groom him daily to try to reduce the amount of fur he ingests. It is thought that fur in the GI tract only becomes a problem if the GI tract is already a bit sluggish. You seem to be feeding him lots of hay which is great for gut motility. Encouraging a good water intake and lots of exercise will help too.

Glad he is feeling better now xx

Sometimes the best thing we can do is to keep an eye on them, and hope nothing untoward develops. Otherwise we could drive ourselves demented with worry!

Hope all remains well, and thank you for updating :D

The string or pearls poo was probably what caused the pain episode. If you do not already do so it would help to groom him daily to try to reduce the amount of fur he ingests. It is thought that fur in the GI tract only becomes a problem if the GI tract is already a bit sluggish. You seem to be feeding him lots of hay which is great for gut motility. Encouraging a good water intake and lots of exercise will help too.

Glad he is feeling better now xx

We do fuss and stroke him every day as he is part rex he has very fine fur. We have tried different brushes but he does not like them at all. Exercise for him has been a bit difficult as he is still a bit weak and wobbly on one side following his head tilt so he is a bit more cautious and not as fast on his feet as he used to be. We give him filtered water both in a bottle and bowl; initially when he had head tilt we had to take the bowl away as we were worried he would put his head in it and potentially drown, but he now has both back but he definitely prefers the bowl.

We do fuss and stroke him every day as he is part rex he has very fine fur. We have tried different brushes but he does not like them at all. Exercise for him has been a bit difficult as he is still a bit weak and wobbly on one side following his head tilt so he is a bit more cautious and not as fast on his feet as he used to be. We give him filtered water both in a bottle and bowl; initially when he had head tilt we had to take the bowl away as we were worried he would put his head in it and potentially drown, but he now has both back but he definitely prefers the bowl.

I groom my Rexes with my hands. I gently tease out the lose fur then rub damp hands all over the coat to remove any bits left behind :)

I am sure your prompt action with Medicam and gut motility agent helped Sparky to get back on track. I use the technique Jane suggests to groom my rex and even my other bunnies. It works best if you don't get your hands too wet.

Sometimes people 'groom' their rabbits with marigold gloves on to gently tease the hairs out. Lots of us on here have had great success with a grooming comb such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Protection-Salon-Grooming-Moulting/dp/B001GU4Y2I

Back