• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noises.

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hi all, I'm panicking, my blue Rex is now breathing weird and making noises... Im worried like mad but vets all closed today! I have a video of her but no idea how to post it! I can't lose another so soon after Sidley! :'( If there's a way to post the video please let me know, if not can someone tell me where i can post it to show you guys, thanks xx

Hi all, I'm panicking, my blue Rex is now breathing weird and making noises... Im worried like mad but vets all closed today! I have a video of her but no idea how to post it! I can't lose another so soon after Sidley! :'( If there's a way to post the video please let me know, if not can someone tell me where i can post it to show you guys, thanks xx

Can you load the video to Photobucket and then post the link to it on here ?

See this thread, it applies to videos too :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

I'll have a go, Just took some dandelions in and she ran straight over and grabbed a mouthful, she was making a squeak noise like a squeaky bike wheel type sound whilst nomming.

I'll have a go, Just took some dandelions in and she ran straight over and grabbed a mouthful, she was making a squeak noise like a squeaky bike wheel type sound whilst nomming.

Oh Sharpie! Thinking of you and hope you can get this sorted. Poor little thing x

She's still making the weird noises, Ive managed to get her booked in 9:20 tomorrow morning, they were fully booked today :(

She's still making the weird noises, Ive managed to get her booked in 9:20 tomorrow morning, they were fully booked today :(

Oh dear, not wishing to cause you further distress, but you really need to get back to the Vet straight away and say that your Rabbit needs to be seen as an 'urgent case' as she is showing signs of significant respiratory distress.

How old is she and is she spayed ?

Again, I apologise for probably making you very anxious, but your Rabbit does need to see the Vet ASAP today

She's about 8 years old, We got her from a travelling petting zoo so not sure exactly, No she's not spayed, What do you guys think it is? So i can prepare myself for the news :( When i rang the vets this morning i said she isnt breathing well and i want her seen as soon as i can and she said theyre completely booked today :( What else can i do??

She's about 8 years old, We got her from a travelling petting zoo so not sure exactly, No she's not spayed, What do you guys think it is? So i can prepare myself for the news :( When i rang the vets this morning i said she isnt breathing well and i want her seen as soon as i can and she said theyre completely booked today :( What else can i do??

Personally I'd just turn up on their doorstep. They will only have to look at her to realise it is an emergency. I dont think it will help you or her for us to say what the possible causes are, but as you can appreciate the problem is serious and she does need help today.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on x

Right, i'll give them a ring again and see what they say, i don't wish to distress her by dragging her all the way there and then be turned away :( Thanks guys!

Tell thm you need an emergancy appointment as her breathing has got worse since you phoned this morning ;)

Right, i'll give them a ring again and see what they say, i don't wish to distress her by dragging her all the way there and then be turned away :( Thanks guys!

I agree, you don't want her in more distress by an unfruitful journey. You need to find out whether they will see you or not asap.

If they won't - try another vet

Good luck xx

They said they can't see her today, there's no available time slots :(
The only other Vets is RSPCA and there's no way i'm taking her there,

I'm just keeping a bloody close eye on her and will run her straight up tomorrow and hope and pray it's nothing serious, and can be fixed <3

I'm just keeping a bloody close eye on her and will run her straight up tomorrow and hope and pray it's nothing serious, and can be fixed <3

You were right to ring. There's no point in just turning up and stressing her out when they would just turn you away.

Good luck for watching her and waiting till tomorrow. Hope all goes well :)

How sad :cry:

Obviously it is your decision, but personally I could not leave her overnight without being seen by a Vet, even if it had to be the RSPCA. I dont mean to appear to be bullying you and as I said, it is your decision, but listed here are conditions which require Veterinary attention straight away, as you will see respiratory distress is one of the conditions listed by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/reso...When your rabbit needs to see the vet now.pdf

Update: I have been reading online and it said to check their jaws for any lumps as it could also be dental issues causing the breathing noise, i managed to get her to sit still and not bite me! And there is a small lump on her lower right hand side jaw!! She's eating completely normal, she has access to Hay All day and night and is eating nuggets for dinner along with a selection of different veggies... What else can I do to stop bunnies back teeth overgrowing?? they have an abundance of wooden chew toys and bits to chew... Am I missing something or is it just what happens to buns??

Some rabbits are prone to dental issues. (Lops, lionheads) and genetics can also play a part in it (e.g. if mum & dad have a history of dental issues, the young also can too).
She will need veterinary attention for this (I think you said you have an appointment tomorrow so make sure you point out this lump to them).

Lots of hay is the key - some owner will cut out dry food to encourage them to eat more hay & roughage (e.g. hawthorn branches, maple, brambles etc)

Some rabbits are prone to dental issues. (Lops, lionheads) and genetics can also play a part in it (e.g. if mum & dad have a history of dental issues, the young also can too).
She will need veterinary attention for this (I think you said you have an appointment tomorrow so make sure you point out this lump to them).

Lots of hay is the key - some owner will cut out dry food to encourage them to eat more hay & roughage (e.g. hawthorn branches, maple, brambles etc)

She's a Rex bunny, are they prone to this? She's gone 8 years with no issues, but now all of a sudden this? I have no idea of her background, like I said she was in a travelling petting zoo thing, she was obese when we got her so she's got like fat flaps under her chin (more then the girls normal bulge) and a flap under her tail, we call it her skirt. She lost the weight when we took her in cos she went from a tiny enclosure with loads of bunnies to a massive space and young bunnies to chase! Haha, She's the mummy bun, she looks after the other buns :)

Back