• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When will bunnies be understood? :(

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Someone in a Facebook group I'm in just asked if insurance is worth it for rabbits. She said she's worried about vet bills, although she 'knows that if you look after them, they don't get ill.'

I wrote her a comment saying that insurance personally gives me peace of mind (though I know lots of people choose not to insure, which is obviously fine) and that bunnies can be susceptible to several common ailments such as snuffles, stasis, EC etc etc and that it was worth reading into. I posted my comment, and someone above had written:

'My vet told me it wasn't worth it, as rabbits don't need regular vet trips. He said that with bunnies, their only illnesses are normally quite serious, and the kindest thing to do is put them to sleep.'

It's like banging your head against a wall! I've politely pointed out that this actually isn't true, there's loads of treatments for bunny illnesses both simple and complex, but I suspect I'll get the typical 'my vet obviously knows better than you' response :lol:

Someone in a Facebook group I'm in just asked if insurance is worth it for rabbits. She said she's worried about vet bills, although she 'knows that if you look after them, they don't get ill.'

I wrote her a comment saying that insurance personally gives me peace of mind (though I know lots of people choose not to insure, which is obviously fine) and that bunnies can be susceptible to several common ailments such as snuffles, stasis, EC etc etc and that it was worth reading into. I posted my comment, and someone above had written:

'My vet told me it wasn't worth it, as rabbits don't need regular vet trips. He said that with bunnies, their only illnesses are normally quite serious, and the kindest thing to do is put them to sleep.'

It's like banging your head against a wall! I've politely pointed out that this actually isn't true, there's loads of treatments for bunny illnesses both simple and complex, but I suspect I'll get the typical 'my vet obviously knows better than you' response :lol:

If that's what vets are telling owners, when what hope do they - and rabbits - have?

When people say things like their vet said that I'm afraid I don't believe them. I'm sure that no vet would say anything like that :shock:

I call bull****. They read that somewhere else on social media and made up the vet to sound credible.

This is one of myriad reasons why I hate fb :/

Problem is... Some vets really do say stuff like that.

I take with a pinch of salt what others claim a Vet has said unless I actually heard the Vet say it myself. You'd be surprised what tall stories can be told and referred to as fact.

That said I have heard first hand a Vet claim that RHD is 'very difficult to transmit' :shock: OK it was said to me several years ago, but even then I knew it to be a load of rubbish.

Problem is... Some vets really do say stuff like that.

Yep! The last time I took Sy to the vets because he stopped eating I was told that he didn't need to eat because he was fat! Then he asked me if he'd vomited at all (?!) and when I said no he said 'What's the problem then?' :shock: I asked to see a different vet and had to put in a complaint.

Back