• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look Who we Saw on Our First Walk of the Day

Oh my...how exquisite! :love: About how big would you say that bird is, Jane? Parakeets here would probably be what you call budgies. That one looks more like parrot sized to me! :shock:

I'm thinking the tree is some kind of elm?

Tree is probably Hornbeam (to ID count the number of veins in the leaf). The Rose-ringed Parakeet is 16 inches long, so compare this to a Blackbird which is 10 inches long, but remember that the Parakeet has a very long tail. It's interesting to see that the Parakeet is eating the seeds of the Hornbeam :) Was there just the one Parakeet?

Loads of them where I grew up in Kent. Noisy bloomin things - hope they don't come any further North :lol:.

Tree is probably Hornbeam (to ID count the number of veins in the leaf). The Rose-ringed Parakeet is 16 inches long, so compare this to a Blackbird which is 10 inches long, but remember that the Parakeet has a very long tail. It's interesting to see that the Parakeet is eating the seeds of the Hornbeam :) Was there just the one Parakeet?

No there were loads of them, but I could only catch those two pics as they were so busy flying about and feeding. You should see the mess of leaves under the tree after they'd had their breakfast ! They do have incredibly long thin tails, it makes them look more aerodynamic I think but whether that is actually the case I dont know.

No-one had better try and get rid of them, the other species of birds here have long since accepted them and the Parakeets dont prevent native birds from feeding., The Parakeets are certainly no threat to biodiversity here.

No-one had better try and get rid of them, the other species of birds here have long since accepted them and the Parakeets dont prevent native birds from feeding., The Parakeets are certainly no threat to biodiversity here.

I agree with this. We have also in the past accepted many other introduced species here such as Common Pheasant, Collared Dove.

I'll tell them that it's chilly up North !! Although I am not sure they'd consider Milton Keynes to be 'up North' xx

Anything north of Watford is oop norf as far as I'm concerned! Kentish lass through and through :lol:. The parakeets are lovely to look at but they ARE very noisy. Keep them down your way Jane ;).

Anything north of Watford is oop norf as far as I'm concerned! Kentish lass through and through :lol:. The parakeets are lovely to look at but they ARE very noisy. Keep them down your way Jane ;).

I have no problem with that, I love them including all their squawking :lol: Certainly better than the bloody aircraft noise xx

Fab pics Jane! One year a pair made it up here to Oxfordshire, we watched them for ages out of the window at my parents house, that was the only time I've ever seen them in the wild! Would love them to come and visit more often.

Back