• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong

Hi,

My rabbit lily had the new RHD2 vac on Monday. I was also told she has slight Spurs on her back teeth.

This evening I have come in to feed her and he is showing very little interest in her food which is very unlike her, but more worryingly she isn't moving very much. She's still grooming herself but is staying pretty much in the same place, just sitting up them laying down over and over.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have some painkiller left over from when my other rabbit hurt his leg, should I give her some? I'm really worried.

Thanks

Hi,

My rabbit lily had the new RHD2 vac on Monday. I was also told she has slight Spurs on her back teeth.

This evening I have come in to feed her and he is showing very little interest in her food which is very unlike her, but more worryingly she isn't moving very much. She's still grooming herself but is staying pretty much in the same place, just sitting up them laying down over and over.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have some painkiller left over from when my other rabbit hurt his leg, should I give her some? I'm really worried.

Thanks

Can you ring the vet for advice? It's possible there's a reaction to the vaccine, but it should be transient. If she doesn't eat, then perhaps you should get some gut motility meds from the vet tomorrow and get her checked over whatever the reason.

Sorry to hear this - good luck xx

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It's very unlike her to not eat and she has been fine all week up until this evening. I wondered if it could be from the heat but she lives inside so it doesn't get too hot.

I got the vaccine done at pets at home so don't think they're still open :(

I'd call your usual vets for advice. (If they're not 24 hr they normally have a number of a 24 hr vet on their answer phone).
She could have an injury, her dental spurs could have worsened, there could be something underlying, or she could be having a reaction.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It's very unlike her to not eat and she has been fine all week up until this evening. I wondered if it could be from the heat but she lives inside so it doesn't get too hot.

I got the vaccine done at pets at home so don't think they're still open :(

Call them in the morning.

Do you think you should syringe feed her some food and water? Perhaps Infacol if you have any?

I gave her some metacam last night and put a fan on incase it had something to do with the heat.

This morning I went in her room and she seems back to her normal self. It's so weird, has this happened to anyone else before?

I gave her some metacam last night and put a fan on incase it had something to do with the heat.

This morning I went in her room and she seems back to her normal self. It's so weird, has this happened to anyone else before?

Did you notice any change in her poo output ? Sometimes a Rabbit with reduced gut motility which would cause smaller/fewer poos will eventually get a tummy ache, especially if gas starts to build up. Noting 'output' is usually as useful as noting what the Rabbit eats. Poo output often reduces before a Rabbit actually stops eating so monitoring output can alert you to a potential problem before the Rabbit becomes anorexic.

Glad to hear that Lily is feeling better this morning. Did the Vet offer you dietary advice for Lily regarding the 'slight spurs' ?

From what I can tell her poos are still normal and healthy. I did wonder if it was reduced gut mobility, especially because she was kind of sitting up then laying down like she couldn't get comfortable.

The vet told me to make sure they have plenty of hay and veg. I always make sure they have as much hay as they want though and I don't want to give them too much veg and upset their stomachs.

From what I can tell her poos are still normal and healthy. I did wonder if it was reduced gut mobility, especially because she was kind of sitting up then laying down like she couldn't get comfortable.

The vet told me to make sure they have plenty of hay and veg. I always make sure they have as much hay as they want though and I don't want to give them too much veg and upset their stomachs.

Sounds as though you are doing all you can :) Do they get to graze on grass ? That would really help her teeth.

Unfortunately I don't have any grass in my garden, I have thought about taking them round to a friends house to graze though

Cut grass is fine, just not mowed grass- you could bring it to her. Brambles & plantain type forage are really good too. There is some lovely long grasses if you have access to any countryside type areas

I'm glad all sounds much better this morning Rebecca :D

You can always give readigrass. It's freeze dried grass, and I always free feed it. Rabbits usually love it :love:

Thank you,

I will cut some grass for her. I still don't think she's a 100% as she's spending most her time hiding in her box, but she is eating and pooing from what I can tell. It's so hard to know what's wrong with bunnies.

Thank you,

I will cut some grass for her. I still don't think she's a 100% as she's spending most her time hiding in her box, but she is eating and pooing from what I can tell. It's so hard to know what's wrong with bunnies.

Yes it is hard to know. I hope she at least can get over the weekend, as I hate rabbits being ill when the vet is closed!!

Back