• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The misconception that rabbits are basically living cuddly toys...

jay

Mama Doe
A friend who was over with her kids was talking about maybe getting a "pet rabbit" and asked if her daughter could cuddle my bunnies. I said no, they don't like to be picked up. She was actually shocked and said "whats the point of having rabbits then?"

And there in a nutshell, the reason so many bunnies start out in pet shops, live ignored in tiny hutches and just maybe make it to a rescue.

I told her all about mine being shy, that the kids could stroke Ruby but Benny is picky about who is allowed to get near him. That Benny is grumpy and Ruby is determined and stroppy one minute and loving the next. That Ruby is nervous and doesn't like change but Benny is brave.

She listened and said she never realised how much personality rabbits had.

I told her all about how much time and care and space and love bunnies need. That you need to love them even when they aren't being your friend and are stroppy, that you need to pay their vet bills when they are ill ("you take a bunny to the vet!" she exclaimed shocked).

This conversation has made me so sad, that rabbits are still seen as a childs pet who can be shoved in a hutch for said child to cuddle and not much more.

On a positive note my friend did say she wasn't going to get a rabbit after all.

This conversation came a few days after another friend made a joke about my rabbits becoming stew in the winter. I'm sure the same joke about her dog would not have been acceptable.

So glad you got to educate your friend.
Re: the joke. I'd have made one about the dog becoming dinner just to prove a point.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's interesting that rabbits are more like cats than dogs but a lot of people think they're more like the latter...

I say like cats/dogs but obviously each species is unique and not actually like them at all. But it'd be beneficial if people realized many rabbits share the general independent nature and 'do things on my terms' of many cats.

Also the fact that both rabbits and cats both need lots of free roaming space. I don't actually think dogs need as much space since they can be exercised outside of your house/yard whereas not so much with rabbits and cats. But people are much more quick to say 'I don't have the space for a dog' than they are with rabbits and cats. :?

My new neighbour had been talking about getting a bunny for her three children - all under five - when she moved in. I told her about my £2500 vet bill, flystrike, many bunnies not liking being picked up on cuddled, bunnies needing bunny company, how much a bunny bite hurts, the importance of watching their diet and risk of stasis. She has seen me outside cleaning them in all weathers. For some reason she has changed her mind :oops:

I have taken Fran over for the boys to stroke as one is scared of animals and Fran is pretty laid back and lets me pick her up for a cuddle without getting stressed. I am hoping to teach them about bunnies as I don't want them put off for life and they are really well behaved children. My cats go over there a lot as they encourage them to visit whereas my previous neighbours had their own cat so mine stayed out.

When people see mine running about they say "oh, they are like puppies". No...they are like rabbits. This is what rabbits do! Glad your neighbour has changed her mind Rhianna.

It really is shocking. I was talking to the local vet practice the other day and they were saying how people just don't think to bring their rabbit to vet. It doesn't even process in my mind!

I know that it can be frustrating when people compare them to other animals but I think it helps put everything into perspective. Whenever I say 'they're just as much as a commitment as a dog' and explain all the reasons; people realise just how much work and time is put into our furry friends.

The stew (or likewise) comments really get to me. I like your approach though daphneandphoebe, I don't know whether I would have enough courage to say it, I think I'd feel just as awful!

It really is shocking. I was talking to the local vet practice the other day and they were saying how people just don't think to bring their rabbit to vet. It doesn't even process in my mind!

I know that it can be frustrating when people compare them to other animals but I think it helps put everything into perspective. Whenever I say 'they're just as much as a commitment as a dog' and explain all the reasons; people realise just how much work and time is put into our furry friends.

The stew (or likewise) comments really get to me. I like your approach though daphneandphoebe, I don't know whether I would have enough courage to say it, I think I'd feel just as awful!

Exactly, I'm not a fan of comparing animals either but I think it helps people understand if they're kind of animal novices. If someone only really has knowledge/experience with cats and dogs then it's helpful to put it into terms they understand. If you say 'rabbits can live 10 years or more, similar to the lifespan of a dog' then it hits home the point better that they're a big responsibility.

A friend who was over with her kids was talking about maybe getting a "pet rabbit" and asked if her daughter could cuddle my bunnies. I said no, they don't like to be picked up. She was actually shocked and said "whats the point of having rabbits then?"

And there in a nutshell, the reason so many bunnies start out in pet shops, live ignored in tiny hutches and just maybe make it to a rescue.

I told her all about mine being shy, that the kids could stroke Ruby but Benny is picky about who is allowed to get near him. That Benny is grumpy and Ruby is determined and stroppy one minute and loving the next. That Ruby is nervous and doesn't like change but Benny is brave.

She listened and said she never realised how much personality rabbits had.

I told her all about how much time and care and space and love bunnies need. That you need to love them even when they aren't being your friend and are stroppy, that you need to pay their vet bills when they are ill ("you take a bunny to the vet!" she exclaimed shocked).

This conversation has made me so sad, that rabbits are still seen as a childs pet who can be shoved in a hutch for said child to cuddle and not much more.

On a positive note my friend did say she wasn't going to get a rabbit after all.

This conversation came a few days after another friend made a joke about my rabbits becoming stew in the winter. I'm sure the same joke about her dog would not have been acceptable.

This is something that really upsets me - no one would even think of keeping a cat or a dog in a cage. Yet no one knows how to look after a rabbit? It isn't fair. And there's no excuse for ignorance in this digital age and yet we see it all the time.

Given we see enough dogs and cats neglected, and even horses etc., I'm not really surprised so little has changed :(

There are plenty of children I wouldn't trust with a dog or cat, much less a rabbit. I find lots of children just don't have the stuff to care for something other than themselves, which is a shame as if they were more capable, maybe the world in general would be in better hands when they all grow up and are running it and I'm in my bath-chair dribbling. :(

I realize there are many kids who can handle animals well as they are brought up to it. I just feel the majority of kids you see today don't have a clue. And that their parents don't either is even scarier.

And as has been mentioned, there's the internet these days. If someone doesn't know how to care for an animal, they should Google it, and maybe before getting one. I had to when Mimzy came home, I didn't even realize half of what he needed and so joined this forum and one other that seemed to be talking about rabbits as pets instead of food/moneymakers. The wealth of information is out there, and then hopefully it helps you make a good decision for the potential pet more than for yourself or your child.

Rhianna, that you take yours around to the neighbor's children is commendable. :) We need more folks willing and able to teach respect for our four footed family members. If mine were calm enough, I'd love to do something like that. :love: Although I admit to a certain jealous possession of my animal companions, and do not want them all prodded and poked about for any reason (I have a hard enough time letting the vet do that!)

I do dread what will happen when we've moved and my little nieces and nephew all come up for a visit. :( Someone's going to leave with hurt feelings and it isn't going to be me!

There are plenty of children I wouldn't trust with a dog or cat, much less a rabbit. I find lots of children just don't have the stuff to care for something other than themselves, which is a shame as if they were more capable, maybe the world in general would be in better hands when they all grow up and are running it and I'm in my bath-chair dribbling. :(

I realize there are many kids who can handle animals well as they are brought up to it. I just feel the majority of kids you see today don't have a clue. And that their parents don't either is even scarier.

And as has been mentioned, there's the internet these days. If someone doesn't know how to care for an animal, they should Google it, and maybe before getting one. I had to when Mimzy came home, I didn't even realize half of what he needed and so joined this forum and one other that seemed to be talking about rabbits as pets instead of food/moneymakers. The wealth of information is out there, and then hopefully it helps you make a good decision for the potential pet more than for yourself or your child.

Rhianna, that you take yours around to the neighbor's children is commendable. :) We need more folks willing and able to teach respect for our four footed family members. If mine were calm enough, I'd love to do something like that. :love: Although I admit to a certain jealous possession of my animal companions, and do not want them all prodded and poked about for any reason (I have a hard enough time letting the vet do that!)

I do dread what will happen when we've moved and my little nieces and nephew all come up for a visit. :( Someone's going to leave with hurt feelings and it isn't going to be me!

There's no poking or prodding. I hold Fran and encourage the boys to gently stroke her - one is OK but the other is clearly scared. His Mum said he is scared of all animals. They both have a visual disability and are very well behaved and polite children. Hopefully, they will learn that bunnies are wonderful friends but need to be treated with respect.

I'm proud of the way my 3 kids are with animals. They've grown up with them and have a good understanding of their needs. They're ever so gentle and empathic and know not to grab the rabbits. I suffer from an acute attack of teeth-grinding when some of their friends come round, though :/

It's good when people listen - I often have people at work come and talk to me about 'getting a rabbit for their children' - half an hour later of me going through all the negatives they usually ask 'why the bleep to you have rabbits then?' :lol: ....good question!!!

I did try to put my SIL off getting her kids rabbits - my niece and nephew are teenagers and the nephew desperately wanted a rabbit. Actually my SIL didn't like rabbits and was against it but my brother said yes. 3 years later - the kids are bored, my brother wants rid of but thankfully my SIL has fallen head of heels in love with them and refuses to give them up. But at the time my brother wouldn't listen - which really frustrated me.

It's good when people listen - I often have people at work come and talk to me about 'getting a rabbit for their children' - half an hour later of me going through all the negatives they usually ask 'why the bleep to you have rabbits then?' :lol: ....good question!!!

I did try to put my SIL off getting her kids rabbits - my niece and nephew are teenagers and the nephew desperately wanted a rabbit. Actually my SIL didn't like rabbits and was against it but my brother said yes. 3 years later - the kids are bored, my brother wants rid of but thankfully my SIL has fallen head of heels in love with them and refuses to give them up. But at the time my brother wouldn't listen - which really frustrated me.

I get this ALL the time. "What, so you can't pick them up and cuddle them??"
"Would you do that to your labrador? "

'why the bleep to you have rabbits then?' :lol: ....good question!!!
"Because I thought I could give them a better life than they had in the rescue/with previous owners" is always my answer :) I do it for the buns, not for me (not that I don't get anything out of it ;P).

"Because I thought I could give them a better life than they had in the rescue/with previous owners" is always my answer :) I do it for the buns, not for me (not that I don't get anything out of it ;P).

THIS. THIS! THIIIIIIIIIIS!!!

Ask not what your rabbit can do for you. ..

Back