• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rat(s) under the decking. Danger to buns?

esupi

Warren Veteran
I've wondered about this for a few weeks as I noticed a couple of holes at the side of my decking. And today I'e seen a rat - actually pottering about my garden on and off all morning. I suspect he's living under the decking.

Just wondering what the implications are for the outdoor bunnies? Any danger?
Does 'deal with rat(s)' need to go straight to the top of my to do list?

(I know this has probably been covered before, but searching for 'rats' on here brings up a lot of results about pet rats!)

I've wondered about this for a few weeks as I noticed a couple of holes at the side of my decking. And today I'e seen a rat - actually pottering about my garden on and off all morning. I suspect he's living under the decking.

(I know this has probably been covered before, but searching for 'rats' on here brings up a lot of results about pet rats!)

Personally I'd say yes. Rats are vectors of numerous diseases that can effect Rabbits, EC and RHD to name two.

There is a possiblility that a wild rat is carrying lepto which is a zoonose, but the chance of your rabbits contracting it are probably pretty small, though not impossible.

I have heard of rats hurting a rabbit but to be honest I think thats also pretty unlikely and that there must of been other factors at play.

Make sure your food sources are well protected (metal bins if at all possible) and try not to leave it lying around for long periods - if your bunnies are like mine this wont be an issue! :lol:

I wouldn't want rats under the decking if my rabbits were around. Rats can carry diseases, and I would make sure all holes are blocked up or netted to keep them out. They tend to go for food (and sometimes hay) so can you keep those somewhere else?

My rabbits live outside and we have had rats a few times over the years. I am not happy with them here and so they are discouraged or removed.

Thanks. I've ordered a humane trap which should arrive tomorrow. I actually want to take the decking up, but I'm probably not going to get around to that until next Spring I don't think.

Back