• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Story of a Little Bunny

BunnyMania

Young Bun
So I have not posted here for a while. I just wanted to introduce a little bunny who, with the help of some lovely people on a Facebook group, I was able to take on.

A couple of weeks ago I came across an advert. I know I shouldn't have been looking but sometimes I can't help it! I saw a little baby rabbit being kept in something not even suitable for a hamster. In one picture I saw her bedding looked soaked with pee and poo and she didn't appear to have enough hay, and certainly not the space a rabbit even a baby one needs.

I was desperately trying to find a home for her, rescues near me are understandably full so I was unable to do much and almost gave up when I posted her on a group and people began offering to donate towards her rescue. The owners wanted money, and wouldn't let her go without her cage. After more than a week of being back and forth and having me emails and texts ignored...I was finally able to pick her up for a lower asking price. Below are pictures of when I first brought her home. She was pretty small, but understandable as she was a baby, I was told about 12 weeks old. However she was skinny and her hip bones and spine were more prominent to feel than would be healthy. She weighed roughly 650 grams.

c09ac15067a4fe91038b3dfbcd860d9b.jpg

c14930a96bdddaf686634f990b3b2b34.jpg

Now she has been here for a couple of weeks and she is such a friendly, loving little bunny. She hops up to you for head rubs and even licks your hand. She has put on weight and is now roughly 860 grams. I was originally told, that she was some sort of dwarf cross but by how she has changed I think she must be a lionhead cross though I am not sure what with.

She has gone from this....

c4013799fbbfe86c2052660e821798e3.jpg

ee86fe368330c0ffb9a6beb995d24398.jpg

To this! Her ears have started to helicopter and even a little extra fluffiness has grown in around her face.

4e5d99d3b626b7d7211c341e34b1bc19.jpg

27cc59b9af556856bb96185578c8dd23.jpg

b69358ec0b5a3852e2b8f4766bb20c5a.jpg

65f07eb4c2a56177e1f1a52897f84f08.jpg

dd73a007221184159f7ea76f25e03f71.jpg

46d5b4c919c0cd007ae1096f1d5a2168.jpg

38eb92b0206488505a2de13dcc3badc5.jpg

She now has more space to be able to hop and binky away. She has the love and attention she deserves, and she is thriving under it. I don't know how she would have turned out if she had been sold in that cage she was in, barely room to lay down let alone stretch. I think this so desperately shows the importance of education and making sure rabbits sold go to homes with proper knowledge. I so wish regulations were stricter and rabbits sold by pet shops/breeders had a minimum standard housing to go to, and it had to be checked prior to sale.

She's beautiful. That cage is just horrific. How in this day and age people can think that that is acceptable is beyond me.

Oh my word, she is just gorgeous! :love:

That cage is horrendous, how it this kind of thing still legal??

So glad she has you now, well done!

She's so beautiful! I'm so pleased she has a safe and loving home with you! I can't imagine how anyone could think that cage was acceptable for keeping a rabbit in!! x

Oh my lord, she's a beauty. My Persephone was being kept in a similar sized 'cage' when I rescued her too. (She's a chocolate point mini rex. :lol:) I don't know what people are thinking wirh it. I'm glad she's in a safe new home!

Bunnymania you have a heart of gold :love:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the size of her cage. I won't ask about the previous owners :evil:

She does look immensely adorable :love:

Will you be able to bond her at all when she's all grown up and spayed? xx

Thank you everyone.

She is an amazing little fluff. Doesn't like to be picked up but we are getting their, for the rest she just wants so much attention. Even more so than my others who I have had for quite a while!

I am hoping to have her spayed the only thing is I am not sure how old she is. I can only go on what the owners said, in which case she would be around 16 weeks right now, but she seemed younger than they told me she was. Its hard to know when she can have the operation - I weighed her earlier and she is 867 grams, but I have no idea really on her breed to begin to estimate her age myself and its so hard to tell :(

Perhaps after her spay she could be bonded to my existing pair to form a trio.

I don't know how anyone could have thought the cage was okay... I didn't ask where she was from aside from them saying pets at home told them she is a dwarf cross. If she was bought with that cage, then shame on them :(

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

She is a beauty and so lucky you were naughty and read the ads! If you assume she is 4 months now and give her 2 more months then you should be safe to have her spayed I would think.

Ugh, some people are just plain ridiculous. So glad she's with you now. I've been showing her picture to my kids, she's so cuuuuute! :D

If you think she's around 16 weeks now you should be ok to spay her once she's past the 1kg mark. Good luck!

Thank you everyone.

She is an amazing little fluff. Doesn't like to be picked up but we are getting their, for the rest she just wants so much attention. Even more so than my others who I have had for quite a while!

I am hoping to have her spayed the only thing is I am not sure how old she is. I can only go on what the owners said, in which case she would be around 16 weeks right now, but she seemed younger than they told me she was. Its hard to know when she can have the operation - I weighed her earlier and she is 867 grams, but I have no idea really on her breed to begin to estimate her age myself and its so hard to tell :(

Perhaps after her spay she could be bonded to my existing pair to form a trio.

I don't know how anyone could have thought the cage was okay... I didn't ask where she was from aside from them saying pets at home told them she is a dwarf cross. If she was bought with that cage, then shame on them :(

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

P'raps wait another month? Let her settle in with you?

She's a lucky little lady :love:

Aww, my Mouse lived in a "small guinea pig cage" with her 1st owner. She is a big long bunny too. Stories like this break my heart & then warm it again when somebody wonderful like you comes along to give her a forever home.

She is an absolute stunner:love:

Back