• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inner ear infection?

4BunMum

New Kit
I have four rabbits, 3 mixed breed and a netherland dwarf. I got all four vaccinated over a week ago and two of the three mixed are now lopping one of their ears. One of them (Red) has had one ear lopped since we had him as a baby, but Scooby (aka radar ears) always had both of his right up and out to the sides. I'm worried that this could be a sign of an ear infection :(
Please help guys, any info is greatly appreicated x

Hi there! Ear flopping is a fairly common side effect of vaccination. I'm not sure why it happens but I wouldn't worry. Their ears usually straighten out after a few weeks. If you are worried of course then keep a close eye on them and speaking to your vet may help put your mind at ease.

Thank you :)
Normally I would just put it down to them being lazy and not wanting to hold their ears up, but after having the combi vaccine I wanted to double check. Two of the four are fine and all of them are still eatig, moreso if anything. Do you know how long it takes for the "side effects" to wear off? It didn't start straight away, maybe five days after the vaccination.

Have a look in the ear if they'll let you for any signs of redness, mites & have a good smell of them. (Infected ears tend to smell terrible).

Side effects can last anywhere from a week to a few months so just keep an eye and if you're concerned about anything contact your vets.

It's likely it'll all be fine in a week or so.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have four rabbits, 3 mixed breed and a netherland dwarf. I got all four vaccinated over a week ago and two of the three mixed are now lopping one of their ears. One of them (Red) has had one ear lopped since we had him as a baby, but Scooby (aka radar ears) always had both of his right up and out to the sides. I'm worried that this could be a sign of an ear infection :(
Please help guys, any info is greatly appreicated x

I have found ear lopping after vaccination to be rather rare, and when it happens I haven't seen the ear ever return to normal.

Keep an eye on them both. Given it's two I'd say you'd be very unlucky for it to be an infection.

Hoping all will come right for them :D:D

Have a look in the ear if they'll let you for any signs of redness, mites & have a good smell of them. (Infected ears tend to smell terrible).

Side effects can last anywhere from a week to a few months so just keep an eye and if you're concerned about anything contact your vets.

It's likely it'll all be fine in a week or so.

I agree with daphnephoebe, especially about looking into their ears :)

I've had it happen to a few of mine and my vet says it isn't uncommon. Maybe he's special :?

In all cases their ears straightened out again gradually after a few weeks. Like I said if you're worried speak to your vet. Keep us updated? :)

I've had it happen to a few of mine and my vet says it isn't uncommon. Maybe he's special :?

In all cases their ears straightened out again gradually after a few weeks. Like I said if you're worried speak to your vet. Keep us updated? :)

If it happened to Tanglefoot I expect he just did not have the energy to hold those big lugs up whilst simultaneously having a sulk because you dared to take him to a pesky Vet !

There's small cuts, possibly from scratching on all the boys' ears. They don't smell and there isn't any trace of anything oozing/seeping/crusty anywhere. The four all sleep together so I would expect to see signs in Juliette too if it was anything like mites. I'm sure I'm overreacting but with rabbits they can make a turn for the worse so quickly :(

If it happened to Tanglefoot I expect he just did not have the energy to hold those big lugs up whilst simultaneously having a sulk because you dared to take him to a pesky Vet !

:lol: luckily her magnificent lug'oles have been unaffected. If they flopped she'd probably trip over them!

There's small cuts, possibly from scratching on all the boys' ears. They don't smell and there isn't any trace of anything oozing/seeping/crusty anywhere. The four all sleep together so I would expect to see signs in Juliette too if it was anything like mites. I'm sure I'm overreacting but with rabbits they can make a turn for the worse so quickly :(

Darling if you're worried I would make an appointment with your vet. Better to be over cautious than under and then you won't be winding yourself up worrying about it. If you're anything like me it'll drive you nuts xx

Well that's good :thumb:

EyerollChamp, does your vet have any theory as to why the vaccine would affect the ears? :wave:

I think for your peace of mind I'd contact the vets.
Scratching indicates it's bothering them to some extent and you nay find more peace having the vet confirm it's nothing to worry about. Some vet nurses may even have a look at a lesser charge, although they can't diagnose anything they can indicate weather a vet consultation is worth it.

He says 'nobody knows'... cue music from the twilight zone. He said it may be a genetic interaction with certain chemicals in the vaccine which is why some individuals are affected and others aren't.

The mystery remains...:?

:lol::lol:

Thanks so much for asking! :D

Back