• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stanley died due to fight at rabbit boarding

sophiebssn

Young Bun
Hi all again, I havent posted in a while but I'm actually after some advice on a bad situation.

Im still so devastaed about this and can hardly bring myself to talk about it or even think about it because its so horrible.

After Lola died in May, we just had our boy Stan left with us. He coped with her going so well and seemed to have a new lease of life as if he knew she wasnt in pain anymore. He was so so happy.
Me and my boyfriend went on holiday for 8 days and decided instead of having someone just feed him and give him a little run, it would be better to have someone look after him for us so he went to a rabbit boarding place in St. Albans (dont even know if Im allowed to name or w/e), esp as it was the week where it was like 33 degrees in the UK, I wanted to know he was being looked after.

He had never been boarding before, but I got him from a rescue where there had been loads of other bunnies in close proximity. My first choice place ws fully booked, so I went with one the lady from that place recommended. I went to view it a week beforehand and although it wasnt too amazing, it meant he could stretch his legs and at least hop around.

So we dropped him off on the morning we left for holiday around 11am, all went fine. 3 days into our holiday I messaged to see if he had settled in OK. The business messaged back saying he had settled in fine and was all ok and happy. All seemed fine except we wondered why when they were putting up pics of the other buns that there was none of Stan.

We got back to the UK early hours, so went to pick him up the next morning. 2 hours before we went to pick him up (at 8.30am) I got a facebook message from the boarding place saying that in fact they had never had a bunny be so unhappy and unsettled, stressed etc while on holiday with them. He managed to escape his run - chewed a tiny bit off a fence post and dug a tiny bit (and I mean TINY, I was imagining a tunnel - it was about 1-2cm scratched off the surface of the mud to squeeze between fence posts) and got into another bunny's enclosure. The people had said that he had previously been pulling fur out of the bunnies on the other side when they were lying next to his area. He was obviously so confused/scared. I mentioned to them when I dropped him off that he was very very nervous and so is often aggressive, jumpy, nippy, etc.

Whilst escaped into the other area, Stan and another bun had a fight and a big chunk of Stanley's ear was bitten off (which was described to me as the 'just the tip of his ear'. Apparently they were broken up in seconds. In the message they said he was absolutely fine and had been fine since. No vet trip beause cut didnt need stitches as was such a clean cut and he was fine. I said thats ok because as far as I knew he was fine.

Me and my boyfriend turned up at 10.30am to pick him up, and hes all weak, floppy, lethargic, slumped in the corner of a run, breathing very shallow, cold.....we rushed him straight to the vets. I noticed his ear in the car, it was a big chunk, not just the tip of his ear. He could hardly stand, very unstable. when my boyfriend touched him he was almost falling over. Personally I would DEFINITELY have taken him, no doubt about it. In the car I had to move him a couple of times as I was worried he was slipping away/not breathing, I had my hand against his chest to make sure he was taking breaths.

We had the air con on because normally he gets so stressed, but we turned it off halfway because I said he felt cold (it was 28-33 degrees the days previous). He was breathing very slowly and shallow.

We got to the vets and they took him straight in the back, his temp was 2 degrees lower than they said it should be (I think it was 36 degrees). They gave him lots of towels and the bear hugger (warm air blower thingy), injectable antibiotics, painkillers, fluids, ranitidine, critical care, etc, etc.

He had lost a LOT of weight since we dropped him off the week before, I might have expected a little bit, but he was more towards the plump side if anything...the day we picked him up I could feel every bone, hip bones and spine and ribs and everything. The two people at the boarding place said he had been eating fine and hopping around like normal, but maybe drinking less than usual. didnt say anything about poos/wees. When we dropped him off I explained what he does and doesnt eat, gave them the huge bag of his nuggets, etc. They said he only looked unwell when they put him in the 'departure run' about 30 mins before we picked him up. That might all be right, but I still feel like he was probably eating less (to lose than much weight, he must have been eating less) and wasnt himself and it went unnoticed (hes normally VERY energetic) - and he should have had even more of an eye on him after the fight :(

Whilst at the vets we had lengthy conversations with at least two different vets and they said as his temperature was so low etc, he was showing all the signs of shock, which was most likely from his fight. When we first brought him in they were basically asking why the wound was old and why we just brought him in, we said we had come straight from the boarding place. They said he should have been brought in much sooner.

So we left the vets and went home eagerly awaiting news. They were checking him every 10 mins and giving him critical care often, etc. Within two hours of him arriving there, the vet called me and said he had passed away. One of the nurses went to check to do his food and he had gone :(

I am beyond devastated. The fact he was the happiest Ive ever seen him breaks my heart. He shouldnt have gone.

The boarding people messaged to say they are devastated that it happened, but they havent said anything else. They are genuinely nice people, thats the sad thing, but its just got so messed up. I wish they told me, I would have said take him to the vets as a precaution, I wouldnt have hesitated for paying for eyerything.

Thing is, he shouldnt have escaped in the first place. He really didnt put in much effort to get out. They also said he had been stomping all night and so scared, they had been out a couple of times at 3-4am because he was so unsettled.

My boyfriend is going to write a letter to them. I cant bring myself to face it. This happened on 21st July 2016.

What to you guys think (about how he died, his shock was so delayed...and also about what we should do)? I cant be at peace with this. My poor boy. My only comfort is that my little Bean is now with Lola binkying on the clouds.

OMG Sophie, I am so very very sorry to read this :cry:

Like you, I would be totally devastated. As I was reading through, I got the impression that he was in shock, and getting a bunny round from that is a difficult task.

I can understand your boyfriend wanting to write them a letter. It all sounds so bizarre - being able to get out of an enclosure whilst boarding should never ever happen. I can't understand why or how it did happen in Stanley's case.

I can only say I am so very sorry and please forgive yourself as you were never to know what would happen. And as you say, he's at peace now, poor little soul, with his lovely girlfriend :love:

That is so heartbreaking. I'm sorry to say I feel the boarding place was negligent; his escape seems like an accident waiting to happen - & he also had to access the bunny he fought with & he should have seen a vet after, no question. I think I would have to do something...I don't know quite what other than the letter.

I'm so upset & angry for you. Binky free Stanley, reunited with your love x

I'm so sorry for you. Honestly words can't explain the pain I feel for you.

Did the vets do a post mortem to try to determine cause at all?
Was he fully vaccinated?
Any health problems at all?

I'd discuss it with my vets first to get their opinion on weight etc and see if they'd write you a statement you can send to the boarding place, and definitely write a letter to the boarding place.

I'd see where that gets you. If they give you a suitable reply that can give you closure I'd try to move on. (I know nothing can bring him back and I'm so sorry).

If the reply isn't suitable I'd get in contact with a solicitor and see what can be done to take any legal action etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thankyou everyone for your replies and kind words. I want to do something I just feel so deflated because nothing will bring him back :(

We will do something though, just need to see what we can do first. I just don't want this happening to anyone else!!

Daphnenphoebe, he was fully vaccinated and the only health problem he had was he recently had a catherisation to clear out bladder sludge so was on a low calcium diet (this was all explained to them). So nothing that would have been of concern health wise.
The vets didn't do a post mortem, I thought about it afterwards, but I don't think I would have done it anyway, I wanted to just let him be <3

All your words are such a comfort to me, you all understand the love and friendship of a bun :)

I am so sorry you lost your boy through someone elses negligence. That is absolutely devastating :'( binky free Stanley xxx

How awful. :( Your heart must be breaking.

Stanley's care with the boarder sounds negligent. It shouldn't have been that easy for him to escape, he shouldn't have been anywhere near able to get to any other rabbits. And he definitely should have seen a vet much sooner. (Elphie had the tip of her ear torn in a falling out with her sister; you have to know what you're looking for to notice the scar. She went straight to the vets.) None of that will bring him back, or heal the hurt though. I hope the rabbit(s) that he fought with are ok, to at least alleviate any further potential heartbreak.

I'm so sorry you're in this situation and I wish there was more I could say/do to help. :(

Binky free, Stanley.

This is beyond devastating for you. I agree with joey&boo, the boarding place in my view was negligent in more ways than one.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I too agree the boarder was negligent. Something should've been done sooner for Stanley.
Whatever you decide to do I believe folks here will support you. I can only imagine your heartbreak. Bless you.

Binky free, Stanley. xxx

Nuh uh. I wouldn't have this. I know it's not about money but I'm curious, have they had payment? Did they offer you anything?

Accidents happen. But for a bun to get out of not only it's own cage, but into another's is not an accident, or even two accidents. That's negligence.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, really. What an awful thing to happen when you think they are in trusted care. And, I'm sorry if this seems insensitive (but not insensitive to your case) - this could have easily been avoided by these people. A rabbit run is not overly difficult to secure. And if they are taking money off people to board and look after their pets while people are away, then they should be damn well looking after them. If they were out there in the early hours with bun because he was thumping, why was the enclosure not checked - ie why did they not notice any chewing/digging?

Sometimes things happen, and it's no one's fault. This is not one of those times. I'm also gobsmacked that buns from different owners can reach each other through accommodation enough to pull fur! That is not acceptable! For hygiene and quarantine reasons alone this should not ever be the case - and of course the very, very basic reason to protect animals from injury from other animals. They have failed some very basic welfare needs here.

So, not only have you lost your poor bun, another owner has had their rabbit get in a fight due to another bun managing to get into it's enclosure, and other peoples buns have had fur ripped out by your bun - none of this should ever be possible, and sounds to me there's not just one issue here which led to your poor buns passing, but rather several, that are putting other peoples animals at risk too. To not take an animal to the vets when it needs veterinary attention is breaking the law. Whilst in their care, they were responsible for this. It's also just generally awful practice to run a boarding service and not take any animal to a vets for a check over if any kind of accident happens - minor or major! Personally, and I think many people would be the same, if I was boarding (and charging for it!) I'd be so unbelievably mortified that my enclosures were not secure and caused an accident to someone else's animal that I'd be more than happy to foot the bill as the very least I could do, as I'd of failed that animal. Even if she didn't want to foot the bill - no excuse for them to not even attempt to contact you to check with you about taking the vets when this happened, or even inform you.

I'm so, so unbelievably sorry, OP. I'm so upset and cross for you. Putting myself in your shoes - imagining coming back from a holiday to this. I would be so beyond devastated.

I have to say it, but I'm quite dubious as to the explanation they gave you. I know you saw where your bun managed to 'escape' his enclosure - but did you see the enclosure he apparently managed to enter, to fight with another bun? Why/how did this other bun not escape? I'm actually wondering whether they have dogs or cats that could have done this. Or, if they had a visit from a fox. Any of these of course being able to cause damage to ear, but also shock as well. Sounds odd he would of died from shock of a fight - but of course I've not seen the injury to the ear or spoken to the vets. Also you mentioning that they were not posting photo's of your bun but were of others - suggests something perhaps could have gone on earlier? I may be totally wrong, just something here doesn't sit right with me at all.

Hope you get the answers you need, or anything else that helps you move on. I'm truly sorry, again. This 'boarder' should NOT be operating. My heart goes out to you. :(

This is awful. :( I can't understand why they wouldn't have taken him to the vet, any injury sustained from a fight should be looked at by a vet if you run a boarding business. Even just to cover yourself if nothing else (if they honestly thought it was all fine, just a clean cut etc). I'm sure they must know that rabbits don't deal with pain well, and considering he was stressed and not eating well on top of that I'd honestly expect a rabbit might go into shock.

They should've brought him immediately to the vet and then messaged you about what had happened and what the vet said etc. They also should have notified you during your holiday when they saw he was stressed.

I can imagine how horrified you must be, this brings back memories of my rabbit Izzy's passing. He went into shock due to vet negligence - they caused him so much pain messing with a wound he had when they shouldn't have been and then seemed to know they made a mistake but didn't tell us anything. When we got home from the vets I realized he was in shock, that that's why he'd been cold and still at the vets when they came back out of the backroom with him.

Binky free, Stanley

This is so heartbreaking to read :cry:

You definitely need to take this further with the boarding place, your poor boy should have been taken to a vet x

I'm so very sorry to read this heartbreaking thread. You and Stanley were let down badly, hope you can find answers.
Binky free with Lola lovely Stanley xxxx

So sorry for your loss, how tragic. What an awful experience for you, that needn't have happened.
Binky free Stanley xx

Last edited:
Back