• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possibly getting a house rabbit

Bulibby

New Kit
So I've been helping my brother with his rabbit for a couple of years but now I want my own. I know I can look after it but I'm unsure about housing. I was thinking or having it in my room where it could run free but I don't know what I would need or my options. I don't think my bedroom would be big enough for a big cage so could I just have no cage or convert under my guinea pig cage? I know I would have to take time to bunny proof my room but I don't know how I would save the skirting boards is there something I could put on that? Also could I have only one rabbit or do I have to have two or could I somehow let it have play dates between it and my brothers rabbit? Does the gender make a difference to how much mess it makes and how easy it is to potty train?
Any other information would be greatly welcomed :D

Before you can put 2 rabbits together they would have to be neutered. If your brother has a female rabbit then she probably won't get along with another female. How much space can you allocate to a rabbit as they need more space than guinea pigs and would be unhappy in a small area.

Hiya Bulibby, welcome to the forum. Rabbits are social animals and need to be kept in pairs or groups. As tonibun pointed out, they would need to be neutered first. M/f is usually the easiest combo. They would also need time for their hormones to diminish after the op and very careful introductions.

Rabbits are a huge commitment (no easier than dogs) and need a LOT of room due to being very intelligent and energetic. They need to be kept occupied with toys, freedom and company in order to be happy and not become aggressive/destructive.

They require tons of fresh, good quality hay in order to maintain good dental and digestive health. I would strongly recommend pet insurance ad to make sure your vet is knowledgeable about rabbits as this isn't a given. They need yearly vaccinations starting at 8-12 weeks, regular claw trimming and you need to apply rearguard fly repellant and keep their bums clean to prevent a horrid and fatal condition called flystrike.

If you're prepared for all the work, commitment and expense then rabbits can make very rewarding pets. They hate to be picked up so aren't cuddly per se but usually love a rub between the ears and their personalities are just amazing! :)

I was thinking giving it a space of 3 x 2 under my c and c cage but only for night and during the do you think this would be ok? And I was thinking of getting a neutered male anyway so could it meet up with my brothers rabbit without ever living with it?

The minimum size requirement for a rabbit hutch is 6x2x2ft by current welfare standards with continual access to a run of 8x4ft. Rabbits take time to build relationships so if they're not bonded they will almost certainly fight. It would need a constant companion to prevent loneliness and keep it healthy. There's loads of good info on this forum and the RWAF site. I wouldn't enter into anything without doing a lot of research beforehand.

Personally I think you would be better off fully bunny proofing your room and letting the rabbit(s) free range in there full time. The problem with having a cage or hutch in a smallish room like a bedroom is that you end up with the worst of both worlds. It would eat into a lot of space in the room and may still not give the rabbits enough room.

I have two house buns and I bunny proofed my whole flat so they have complete free range. I've got large panels up in front of exposed skirting boards to protect (too big for them to move) and wires are tucked away behind them. I'm lucky that none of my rabbits have been excessively destructive (other than some nibbling on the rug and sofa). Some rabbits can be particularly destructive so you may need to do more proofing (e.g covering chair legs/bottom of the bed).

I'm not sure if you've seen it but there's a sticky at the top of this part of the forum with some indoor set ups that may give you some ideas.

If you do decide to let them free range in your bedroom they would appreciate a little hidey hole. Some companies make ones for rabbits, such as Manor Pet Housing, The Hay Experts and, I think, Boyles pet housing. Or a cardboard box can do just as well.

Personally I think you would be better off fully bunny proofing your room and letting the rabbit(s) free range in there full time. The problem with having a cage or hutch in a smallish room like a bedroom is that you end up with the worst of both worlds. It would eat into a lot of space in the room and may still not give the rabbits enough room.

I have two house buns and I bunny proofed my whole flat so they have complete free range. I've got large panels up in front of exposed skirting boards to protect (too big for them to move) and wires are tucked away behind them. I'm lucky that none of my rabbits have been excessively destructive (other than some nibbling on the rug and sofa). Some rabbits can be particularly destructive so you may need to do more proofing (e.g covering chair legs/bottom of the bed).

I'm not sure if you've seen it but there's a sticky at the top of this part of the forum with some indoor set ups that may give you some ideas.

If you do decide to let them free range in your bedroom they would appreciate a little hidey hole. Some companies make ones for rabbits, such as Manor Pet Housing, The Hay Experts and, I think, Boyles pet housing. Or a cardboard box can do just as well.

I agree with Scrappy. My buns have always free ranged in my house, the first 2 demolished pretty much everything but the next 6 haven't been too chewy / destructive at all.

This is excellent advice. I wasnt suggesting putting all that in your room, just giving you an idea of the absolute minimum space that rabbits need.

i just thought - sometimes rescues will have rabbits who need to be rehomed as singles for whatever reason. so it might be worth contacting some to see if they have anybun suitable. they would also beable to advise you on ways you could provide the recommended space aswell. :wave:

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. My guinea pig cage is actually 2x5 so I am planning to buy more grids to raise it higher because it would take less space than to have their litter box and everything lying around the room. I measured the cage and it's almost 6 feet by just over 2 feet so I think it will be big enough. I go to bed quite late so it would be out it's cage all day. Also I would open my door and block off a part of the lobby for extra space. And I'm in the middle of persuading my mum to get a pair.

Back