• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Proofing in London when renting

Ailstar

Mama Doe
So me and the BF are planning on a move to london hopefully within the next month/2 months. This was completely unplanned and happened due to an unexpected job offer. I never planned on moving to London but it was too good an opportunity to turn down. And now I am panicking about the rabbits. I want to bring them with me, as I don't think its fair to leave them with my parents, but we will be renting and I am worried about how to bunny-proof the run, especially when I will be limited by the fact that we are renting so can't make any drastic changes to the garden. I have never seen a fox despite living in the countryside nearly all my life, but I was staying with a friend in the middle of london last week and was woken up by 2 foxes at about 5am. I honestly don't know if its safe to bring them with me, but if I don't I don't know what else to do!! :(

Have you already found a place in London? Could you negotiate for a bunny proofed indoor set up like the Boyle's Pet Housing or Manor Pet Housing indoor pens with flooring?

Indoor isn't an option really. They have always been outdoor bunnies, we won't have space on our budget for them to be inside. I would like 2 bedrooms if possible for its not looking likely!

Will you definitely be able to get somewhere with outside space? The only time I've been able to get that in London was when I was out in the outer zones and in a house share. You would need a decent space and able to build a real fortress, one that's also easily taken down of course when you move.

I had to move out to St Albans to be able to afford a place with myself and husband and not a house share and a garden. And now we're buying even further out to get value for money, in Luton, and I'll be commuting in to the city. London is stupid.

I rented in north London for years and you can sometimes get access to the garden if you rent a garden, basement or ground floor flat. Urban foxes are a real problem and very bold. They will cross the street right in front of you, especially in the early morning when you're blearily walking to work, and you do a double take when you realise it's a fox and not a big cat or a small dog.

I would make sure any bunnies housed outside in London didn't have access to a run after dark, as this is when most foxes will attack. They are much less likely to go for hutches which are several feet off the ground. Anything that can be dug under is a real risk.

I rented in north London for years and you can sometimes get access to the garden if you rent a garden, basement or ground floor flat. Urban foxes are a real problem and very bold. They will cross the street right in front of you, especially in the early morning when you're blearily walking to work, and you do a double take when you realise it's a fox and not a big cat or a small dog.

I would make sure any bunnies housed outside in London didn't have access to a run after dark, as this is when most foxes will attack. They are much less likely to go for hutches which are several feet off the ground. Anything that can be dug under is a real risk.

Agree :thumb:

A shed is the most ideal accommodation outside. How long do you intend to be in London? Is it feasible to buy a shed if there's not one there already?

Back