• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit help!

rosierhi

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time rabbit owner, have had guinea pigs, hamsters etc before.
We got our rabbit at 3 months old, she has always been very jumpy around people and doesn't like fuss.

She has began getting quite aggressive with us grunting if we even approach her. she is a house rabbit and while we let her run around the living room we do still keep her in a cage to avoid any nibbling things when we're not there.
At the slightest noise she sprints to the other side of the room, it can be a leg shuffling or anything even subtle.

We got her spayed 2 weeks ago and this week i am really struggling to get her back in her cage. She won't let me near her without lunging, grunting or running away.

I hate upsetting or scaring her so how can i catch her without frightening her.
She bit my boyfriend a few weeks and drew a fair amount of blood, we're really struggling with her behaviour.

Does my rabbit hate/mistrust me? How can i improve her behaviour.

Thanks!

If she has only been spayed 2 weeks ago she may be hormonal still, it takes about 6 weeks for them to subside. Rabbits need a lot of space, and cages are not suitable to shut them in unless there is a large run area attached, she may be frustrated and won't want to be shut in. A rabbit needs a minimum of the equivalent of a 6ft X 2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ft X 6ft. My house rabbit free ranges and had his own room. A puppy pen may be the best way of providing space whilst preventing chewing etc.

It's best to sit and let a rabbit come to you, they don't often like being picked up.if you hand feed her her pellets that may encourage her to come to you.

As Zoobec said, probably a combination of hormones not settled yet and accommodation being too small. People often don't realise how much space rabbits need - permanently. They should never be confined to a cage. The Housing section gives some good ideas which you may find helpful.

Thank you i will try sitting with her more!

Been looking at puppy pens and a different cage that will attach to the puppy pen so she can have that all the time.

She is out most of the day it's mostly at night she is in her cage, once she is fully trained and litter trained we do plan on allowing her reign, she's just a very fussy and naughty bunny at the minute! x

Back