• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somebun escaped yesterday...

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
We can see the lawn from the house, from where Matt was boardgaming: I was in the front room reading a textbook. No-bun was on the lawn for a while (they were sleeping in the hutch when I'd last seen them, when I was hanging the washing out, and that's right against the house wall) so Matt went out to chide them for not doing their job. The tube was out of the bottom of the hutch :shock: Lopsy was still inside, but Aboleth was nowhere to be seen! She hopped out from one of the paths up the garden, then had a hop around to the playhouse, then Matt opened the other hutch door and she went back inside! No idea what she ate while she was out (she's a notorious 'trier' :S) but everything was fine yesterday and this morning :)

The tube connection into the hutch from the lawn is not the sturdiest of things: because we only let them out onto the lawn when we're watching, the tube is just connected by wire ties (through a spare piece of mesh as a hole-coverer), one of which was broken and so it must have snapped with the force of rabbits running through the tunnel! Oh well, no harm (apparently) done!

We have considered letting them out to freerange but our biggest concerns with that are a.) if they get scared the wall into the canal is very small (8-12"), easily cleared by a fleeing bunny, although they're not stupid enough (even Lopsy ;P) to just jump over it without looking first when not fleeing, and b.) getting the little darlings back in!

Whoops! :lol:

Could you dig in some chicken wire in front of the wall so there's a taller barrier? And give them their pellets inside in the evenings so they come in for dinner?

I know runaround do some solid-looking connectors with a shut-off function.

Mine go back in after being free range. I have slowly made the area bigger so now they have the drive (down the side of the house and enclosed by large solid gates) and the decking. Ruby is easy to get back in...for Benny it can take 10 mins to herd him back in. Currently Ruby can be lured back with the shaking of the pellet tub but Benny is not food motivated so it doesn't work with him!

Could you dig in some chicken wire in front of the wall so there's a taller barrier? And give them their pellets inside in the evenings so they come in for dinner?
We do already do the pellets thing! They know they get them on the windowsill in the playhouse, nowhere else, when we go out and shake the bowl. Yet they still don't come in 100% of the time :roll: Sometimes Aboleth has to go and get Lopsy because he's a bit of a moron ;P

As for the wall, it's got a lot of mature-ish bushes in front of it. It's also got a lot of convenient holes for putting a fence into it, so we might do that one day. But we've not even LOOKED at the garden this year!

Back