• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - is this poisonous?

Rose24

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what this is please and if it is dangerous?
Many thanks xxxx

IMG_3016.JPG

Now I can't get the photograph to upload. I'm not doing very well �� xx

I think you need to upload the photo to an image hosting site (I usually use TinyPic), and the put that image link into the URL field.

Yep - as rocko said. Upload it to somewhere like Photobucket and put the URL link on here. It should then show when you post.

I'm sorry but I can't really help. It looks to be related to fuscias/bleeding or burning heart. Both of which are not suitable for rabbit consumption.

I'm hoping someone else will be along who can identify the plant and tell you for sure.

Has one of your bunnies eaten this?

Thank you for your help. No please don't worry they have not eaten it. I just fence it off in the garden but it drops these weird berries and I think it needs to be ripped out completely. Just feel anxious with it in the garden so want to be sure xx

Thank you for your help. No please don't worry they have not eaten it. I just fence it off in the garden but it drops these weird berries and I think it needs to be ripped out completely. Just feel anxious with it in the garden so want to be sure xx

For the time being, put some netting around it (you can get ones specially designed for fruits etc). That way you have time to find out if its dangerous of or not. Its a very pretty plant :)

ID'd - just seen some at a friend's house. Himalayan honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa).
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1149

No idea if it is OK or not for rabbits. I would make sure they can't get to it or the berries - just in case. It's quite a rampant plant if left to its own devices - but very unusual flowers.

Yes, I agree this is what the plant is. I do not know if rabbits are OK with it and so would avoid letting them nibble any of it.

Hi sorry I havnt been on much . .

This is indeed (Leycesteria formosa). or Himalayan Honeysuckle or (just to be confusing) one of TWO plants known as Pheasant Eye. I was told some time ago that it was toxic but there seems no real evidence for this. However i note the tortoise website appears to regard it as dubious as well;

quote;
Many sources say that Himalayan Honeysuckle is not toxic, and we cannot find a list of toxic properties in this plant, but there have been associated deaths in cattle reported in New Zealand and Australia, where it is a rampant weed.

Because there is no scientific literature relating to this plant and reptiles, we feel it would be best to avoid it until relevant research comes to light.

Personally it just looks like something I would not feed . . .that colouring is often a warning sign. .

Do the birds eat the berries?? That is sometimes a guide - if the birds leave them then its definitely a no, if they eat well it could just mean birds can eat them.

Back