• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One thing after another 😪

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, my poor bunnies, I not sure if anyone remember my poor snowball having hind leg problems in about May, she is still not the same but definitely better. The vets thinks she will never be 100% but she is coping I went to feed her and Gizmo who has had to have his tear ducts flush and eyedrops given plus pain meds but is doing fine now and his teeth fully checked. So now it's snowball again went out to feed and check them and noticed snowball has a big mass on her cheek! So will make an appointment for tomorrow for her at the vets. I'm thinking it's an abscess. My poor babies and my bank balance lol

Also their boosters were due in May and the vet/myself decided to wait and was going to book them in for 2 weeks time. I'm not sure wether to wait any longer.

I just wondered if anyone has had experience with abscesses?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
My Tinkerbell had an enormous jaw abscess appear more or less overnight.

She was operated on and they removed as much as they could, packed the wound with antibiotic beads and she made a good recovery.

Hi everyone, my poor bunnies, I not sure if anyone remember my poor snowball having hind leg problems in about May, she is still not the same but definitely better. The vets thinks she will never be 100% but she is coping I went to feed her and Gizmo who has had to have his tear ducts flush and eyedrops given plus pain meds but is doing fine now and his teeth fully checked. So now it's snowball again went out to feed and check them and noticed snowball has a big mass on her cheek! So will make an appointment for tomorrow for her at the vets. I'm thinking it's an abscess. My poor babies and my bank balance lol

Also their boosters were due in May and the vet/myself decided to wait and was going to book them in for 2 weeks time. I'm not sure wether to wait any longer.

I just wondered if anyone has had experience with abscesses?

Thanks in advance

Oh dear, I'm so sorry!

Yes I have loads of experience with abscesses, and I'll help in any way I can. There are two ways to approach them, depending on your bank balance and your vet, and of course whether it really is an abscess after all?

If it is, your vet can either lance and drain it, or give a GA and surgically excise it. I have done both with rabbits and honestly have not seen any benefit of one over the other. Lots of folk will say you *must* surgically remove all the abscess capsule but this is certainly not the good experience I have had with my rabbits.

Most importantly, injectable penicillin given every day to begin with, then every other day, is the way to go :D

Some reading for you ..

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

The other thing I've found extremely beneficial is twice daily cleaning of the abscess cavity and packing it with Manuka Honey (medical grade 25+ if possible, though all honey will work) twice daily.

Good luck - let me know how you get on at the vet :wave:

We are back from the vets, he has lanced and flushed the abscess whilst she was conscious. He has checked her teeth and they are fine so he doesn't think it because of her teeth but a wound on the outside. She is now on antibiotics and I need to bathe the wound twice a day. The antibiotics were £150 is this normal? Xxx

We are back from the vets, he has lanced and flushed the abscess whilst she was conscious. He has checked her teeth and they are fine so he doesn't think it because of her teeth but a wound on the outside. She is now on antibiotics and I need to bathe the wound twice a day. The antibiotics were £150 is this normal? Xxx

It depends what he gave you?

Back