• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of an upset tummy today

Dem

Young Bun
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of expert advice if thats ok.

I have a 3 year old mini lop. We have had one case of stasis which was awful but the vets got him through. We have never found out what caused this issue and since have been religious at ensuring we don't change food, allow stress or anything that could trigger another case.

This morning i got up to find his litter tray full of normal pellets. He ate his breakfast of a small amount of Burgess food and some carrot. He always has plenty of fresh high grade hay to eat and of course lots of fresh water. I went to pop him into his run on the lawn for some exercise mid morning and noticed he'd had a bit of an upset tummy. I cleaned him us as i am also paranoid of fly strike but noticed in the last hour he again has had very loose droppings. He is totally himself though so i'm just keeping watch to make sure that he is not at risk of fly strike.

Yesterday he has his normal amount of pellets, hay and some scissor cut grass (only a small amount). There's be no changes that i can think of.

Has anyone got suggestions on what the best route of resolution is?

Thanks
Dem

I would ring the vet and take him in if his droppings are actually loose, rather than an uneaten caecotrophe.

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of expert advice if thats ok.

I have a 3 year old mini lop. We have had one case of stasis which was awful but the vets got him through. We have never found out what caused this issue and since have been religious at ensuring we don't change food, allow stress or anything that could trigger another case.

This morning i got up to find his litter tray full of normal pellets. He ate his breakfast of a small amount of Burgess food and some carrot. He always has plenty of fresh high grade hay to eat and of course lots of fresh water. I went to pop him into his run on the lawn for some exercise mid morning and noticed he'd had a bit of an upset tummy. I cleaned him us as i am also paranoid of fly strike but noticed in the last hour he again has had very loose droppings. He is totally himself though so i'm just keeping watch to make sure that he is not at risk of fly strike.

Yesterday he has his normal amount of pellets, hay and some scissor cut grass (only a small amount). There's be no changes that i can think of.

Has anyone got suggestions on what the best route of resolution is?

Thanks
Dem

Is the soft poo fecal poo (normally hard poo) or is it uneaten cecotrophs ?

If the latter then it may be that he is eating too many pellets and not enough hay. I know you say he has lots of hay, but how much does he actually eat ? A Rabbit's diet should be 80%-90% hay with a minimal amount of pellets. Personally I dont feed my Rabbits carrots (just carrot tops) as carrots have a high sugar content which can cause soft poo.

If your Bunny is well within himself, eating and drinking and bright and active then I'd just feed him hay and water for 24 hours. But only do this if you are certain he is actually eating his hay. If not then he will need some pellets too and a Vet check tomorrow. If he's not eating hay and getting soft poo that could indicate dental problems.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. This is definitely soft poo. He's just been in his tray and is now passing soft droppings, these are much firmer than the poo he passed at lunchtime and look like proper rabbit droppings. I have spoken to my vets and their nurse lives in the same road as me. She will be coming to the house to see him at 4pm. He gets very upset in his carrier in the car since he had to go in for his stasis so i try and keep him as calm as possible and at home in his environment wherever i can. Luckily i live only about 5mins from the veterinary hospital so if she decides a vet is needed we can easily go over and they have vets there on site 24 hours per day. He is drinking and eating hay as i have been watching him over the last hour. I'd say he is 90% hay versus dried pelleted food as a general rule. The breeder i had him from was always very strict at ensuring he has high volumes of good quality hay and just a small amount of dried food.

Thanks for the advice on the carrots, luckily i have a veggie patch with carrots at the moment so i will make sure he settles with his tummy and once we are ok i will ensure carrot tops only are eaten. I also have a huge kale patch am i right in assuming its fine to give him small amounts of kale?

I'll keep you posted on what the veterinary nurse thinks.

Thanks for your help.
Dem

Hi All,

Well the visit went well, she stayed for a little over an hour, she watched him eat and drink. She thinks he's ok to remain at home for now. No pellets or fresh food just hay and grass if of course he's in the run. If he stops eating, or going to the toilet or not behaving like himself they want him straight over to the veterinary hospital.

He's due vaccinations over the next week but she's suggested getting this resolved first albeit 24 hours on hay may do the trick.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again
D

Hi All,

Well the visit went well, she stayed for a little over an hour, she watched him eat and drink. She thinks he's ok to remain at home for now. No pellets or fresh food just hay and grass if of course he's in the run. If he stops eating, or going to the toilet or not behaving like himself they want him straight over to the veterinary hospital.

He's due vaccinations over the next week but she's suggested getting this resolved first albeit 24 hours on hay may do the trick.

Thanks again
D

Glad that the VN was able to reassure you and hopefully hay only for 24 hours will do the trick x

Hi All,

Thanks again
D

Just read your thread Dem. I hope the hay diet will alleviate the symptoms.
I'm glad the vet nurse was able to come and see him x

Hi all,

We are making a lot of progress, we've had droppings (normal size, shape) although there are definitely less than usual. In himself he is fine albeit very cross with me over his lack of dried food. He's tried every trick form being overly friendly to being a menace and charging at me :D I think i may give him a very small amount for dinner tonight and slowly ween them back into his diet. Thank you for all your help.

x

Hi all,

We are making a lot of progress, we've had droppings (normal size, shape) although there are definitely less than usual. In himself he is fine albeit very cross with me over his lack of dried food. He's tried every trick form being overly friendly to being a menace and charging at me :D I think i may give him a very small amount for dinner tonight and slowly ween them back into his diet. Thank you for all your help.

x

Glad to hear that his tummy has settled down now :)

Hi all,

x

Your quick action can be attributed with his recovering. You are right in adding pellets back to his diet slowly. Having had a stasis bunny myself, I would suggest limiting pellets on a more permanent basis unless your bunny is one of the few who needs the extra calories of pellets to maintain his weight or warmth.
Another suggestion-when getting a new batch of pellets, I would mix them with the old batch for a few days even when it was the same brand.

Hi all,

x

Glad it's no longer so worrisome for you all! x

Back