• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pumpkin the Pygmy goat has a new friend u/d P36 new name chosen

Zoobec

Staff member
Today we collected a new friend for Pumpkin, she is very sweet, a bit nervous but friendly. Poor Pumpkin was feeling very lonely since the tragic loss of his friend Patch. It was a bittersweet day today, I still feel very raw and upset about losing Patch, I wake up most nights thinking about her and I don't know if I'll ever get over what happened :cry: but we had to do the right thing for Pumpkin.

Her name is Gertrude. She doesn't know her name and we don't think it suits her so we are going to try to think of a new one that does. We had thought Poppy but it doesn't seem to fit. Any ideas welcome :thumb:

She seems to be settling in nicely, she's met Pumpkin though the fence and they seem to like each other, Pumpkin came to life when he saw her :love: she's tired now and snuggled down in a nice thick bed of straw after her tea :thumb:

image_zpsgnbvlvmm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I can understand how you feel ... but you've put Pumpkin first. This beautiful Rainbow will bring light to his life - and to yours. x :love:

She is gorgeous :love: I always forget how much I like goats til I see them or photos again. I love their marble like eyes. I'm happy for Pumpkin & wish you lots of happiness with her too. Now for the burning question - do you have to bond goats?

She is gorgeous :love: I always forget how much I like goats til I see them or photos again. I love their marble like eyes. I'm happy for Pumpkin & wish you lots of happiness with her too. Now for the burning question - do you have to bond goats?

Thankyou everyone, she is lovely :love:

I've never been in this position before but from what I've been told/ what I've read introductions should be carried out in a similar way to rabbit bonding, do the actual face to face introduction on neutral territory. So that will be done in the garden as Pumpkin doesn't come in there too often - he eats too much of the honeysuckle and sneaks into the house otherwise :shock::lol: I'm encouraged by their reactions to each other, they both seem to want to be together and he's spent most of the time on the other side of the fence to her. Tonight they are snuggled in the goat shed which has a partition in between them so that they can see and smell each other but not hurt each other. It's all quiet at the moment and they are sleeping next to the partition :love:

I don't want to rush things, I'll let them decide the pace but fingers crossed they should be ok, personality wise they seem like they will be. a good match, he's very gentle and smaller than she is, she's a bit timid and unsure of herself, she was being bullied by some of the other goats at her last home.

Aww she is lovely :love: I can completely empathise with your feelings of mixed emotions after losing Patch but you've given her a lovely new home where she'll have a wonderful life with you and Pumpkin. xx

Awww...what a sweetie! :) We had two billy's when we first arrived in Alaska, they were named Choccy and Tippy, respectively. Choccy was of course brown and Tippy, who was white with some brown, was named after a cartoon character my daughter was fond of at the time...it was a female character but oh well...she was little enough it really didn't matter to her. :lol:
Gertrude looks a lot like Tippy as a matter of fact. :shock:

I know it must still be difficult to think of Patches, but I'll bet she sent this little one to you. :) It's good that you are thinking of keeping Pumpkin happy. (((((Hugs)))))))

If she doesn't answer to Gertrude (I too think it's a pretty neat goat name, but to each and all that) then a new name is definitely in order. :) Let's see, you want to keep to something starting with P?

I'll have to give it a think. Poppy is lovely though. Perhaps even a colour name, like Paisley (since she's got such pretty markings in her coat) or a fruit/veg like Pomegranate (Pommy for short). Or something grand like Penelope? Is she mischievous? Perhaps Pandora? :)

:lol: I'm actually rubbish with names but those are a few that came to me at first. ;)
Welcome home little one, you have landed on your feet here! :love: xxxx

Back