• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your thoughts on sand pits...

Lailajayne3

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I have just received the new edition of rabbiting on :D and after having a quick flick through I saw something about digging and using sand... Just wanted to check - do you think this is a good idea?

If I was to get childrens play sand and put it in a digging pit? Its not expensive so if it didn't work out, it doesn't matter... i'm just thinking of different things to keep the buns busy ;) thanks x

I'd be worried of the sand getting in their eyes. I remember asking on here once if it'd be ok to give rabbits playtime in a pen that had a sand floor (our soil is mainly sand here, so if the ground is bare it's going to be really sandy) and that's what some people said, that it could get into their eyes.

I too would worry about it getting in their eyes, but rabbits often live in sandy habitats in the wild, so...

I would also be driven mad by finding bits of sand everywhere :?

When my bunnies had a huge digging pit I used sand & soil, mainly soil (actually it may have been compost :shock:)

My hubby has a huge sand box for mixing with cement. Over the years my buns have sneaked in there and had a wonderful time digging like mad and throwing sand everywhere. They love it and haven't had any problems. Mind you, I get into loads of trouble when he finds they've been in there.

I use children's play sand in the girls dig box. But soil also works well.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I use soil.
I use Bob to break up the the soil when one of my outdoor potted plants has come to the end of it's useful life (or when I've forgotten to water it). Obviously I only put him to work on bunny safe plants. I tip out the dead or ratty looking plant into the 'bunny composting facility' (a very large shallow bowl) Bob eats any last leaves and breaks up the roots and compacted soil, he also poos as his doing this - thereby adding premium organic bunny sized manure. A few days later I have a happy well exercised bunny and excellent compost. I then pot up more herbs which will then be fed to the buns - we've got whole circle of life thing going on.

I use soil.
I use Bob to break up the the soil when one of my outdoor potted plants has come to the end of it's useful life (or when I've forgotten to water it). Obviously I only put him to work on bunny safe plants. I tip out the dead or ratty looking plant into the 'bunny composting facility' (a very large shallow bowl) Bob eats any last leaves and breaks up the roots and compacted soil, he also poos as his doing this - thereby adding premium organic bunny sized manure. A few days later I have a happy well exercised bunny and excellent compost. I then pot up more herbs which will then be fed to the buns - we've got whole circle of life thing going on.
I love this idea

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Anyone use coco husk bedding, like the stuff sold for reptiles etc and sold in compressed bricks? It looks like soil pretty much as you can see here https://www.google.com/search?q=coc...antation+soil+coco+husk&imgrc=Imshyy5LjDig0M:

Just something I was thinking of because I got some for my snails/slugs and it's supposed to be super safe for all sorts of terrarium critters. Not sure if it would be for bunnies though.

I suppose sand/dirt is much cheaper, depending on where you get it from. Personally I don't think I'd use children's play sand though as it has silica and is a carcinogen so you wouldn't want buns digging through it and breathing in the dust. Or at least the kind sold here has silica, I don't know if it does in the UK.

I thought silica was naturally present in sand. I think it's only a problem to be breathed.

Yeah it is in most sands. It's a controversial subject and I've heard arguments both ways. In California, by law, childrens play sand must be labeled with a "known to cause cancer" warning. I don't know... but at least with buns you can just use soil instead of sand and avoid the risks altogether.

Back