• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering a giant rabbit

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

What age do you think a continental giant male could be neutered at? A few websites I've seen have said waiting until 5/6 months for a male giant. Is there a reason why it's later than smaller rabbits? My 4 month old giant won't leave his spayed girlfriend alone and I'm worried it's going to affect the bond between them.

Thanks,
Laura

A lot of people will leave neutering larger rabbits until later so they have a chance to fully develop their bones etc.
Personally, if he's bothering he I'd just get him neutered now as it's likely he'll just annoy his girlfriend and get into a big argument.

Thanks for your opinions. I wasn't sure if it was influenced by people who want them to be huge or more suitable for rabbits shows etc. My bunnies are my babies and will only ever be pets to me.

Personally I would neuter a Giant Buck when his testicles had descended. In Giants that may be a bit later than smaller breed Rabbits. Has your Buck's testicles descended? If not then the Vet may not want to castrate him yet as to do so would mean a more invasive operation going into his abdomen.I would not want this to be done unless absolutely essential-eg if the Rabbit were to be cryptorchid.

Rabbits who are to be Shown cannot be neutered at all, unless the Shows are 'Pet Shows'. :)

Last edited:
A lot of people will leave neutering larger rabbits until later so they have a chance to fully develop their bones etc.
Personally, if he's bothering he I'd just get him neutered now as it's likely he'll just annoy his girlfriend and get into a big argument.

Really good advice from daphnephoebe :D

I have no idea if they have descended Jane. Spencer is my first male rabbit so I'm in new territory here! All I know of that he likes mounting a lot lol. I had to explain to my 3 year old that they were dancing!

I have no idea if they have descended Jane. Spencer is my first male rabbit so I'm in new territory here! All I know of that he likes mounting a lot lol. I had to explain to my 3 year old that they were dancing!

:lol:

I remember saying something similar to my kids when they were small :D

The day his testicles drop! Or as quickly as possible at least lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I have visions of Laura10101 following her Buck around with one of those under-carriage inspection mirrors so she doesn't miss the very second they drop ! :lol:

Now I have visions of Laura10101 following her Buck around with one of those under-carriage inspection mirrors so she doesn't miss the very second they drop ! [emoji38]
[emoji38] [emoji38]
Poor little man. He'll be sucking them in for the rest of his life.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If anyone saw my internet website history they would think I was mad! 😂 I'll need to catch Spencer first- he is sooo fast and still a bit nervous around us.

If anyone saw my internet website history they would think I was mad! �� I'll need to catch Spencer first- he is sooo fast and still a bit nervous around us.

You're in good company, we are all a bit bonkers, it comes with the territory when you have Rabbits :lol:

People already think I'm bonkers Jane- they just can't get understand that rabbits can actually be really friendly pets that can live in the house just like dogs. People think I'm kidding when I say they are litter trained.

Here is the hooligan in question- Spencer the blue continental giant. His girlfriend Darcy is in the second photo

People already think I'm bonkers Jane- they just can't get understand that rabbits can actually be really friendly pets that can live in the house just like dogs. People think I'm kidding when I say they are litter trained.

Here is the hooligan in question- Spencer the blue continental giant. His girlfriend Darcy is in the second photo

I'd keep those back legs crossed if I were you Spencer..........................

They are both stunning Rabbits :love: I have long since been written off as the mad Rabbit woman by many people. I cant think of a better title to hold :D

Wow Laura, they are stunning :D

Yes, I have mine running around the house 24/7.
Coming to the door when I open it always causes amusement and consternation :lol:

Back