• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling Tips

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might have some rabbit handling tips they would be happy to share.

This morning I am sporting two large scratches across my chest from being scratched last night, by lovely Buffy :( (although she's not the only culprit).

I could be doing it all wrong for all I know. It usually happens when I am moving them from hutch to run or if I'm trying to check them over. I always hold them carefully around the back with one hand and supporting them underneath and close to my chest (hence the scratches).

It's that moment when you start to move them away from you to put them back down, but they start flailing around and you end up getting kicked / scratched. Sometimes they will freak out when I'm just holding them.

I guess I could use a towel or gloves, but I don't feel like I can get such a safe grip on them as without.

Thanks in advance x

I tend to hold mine to me all the way down to the floor and then gently let them hop out of my arms. Does depend on the bunny though. I always think spending lots of time sat with then, stroking and hand feeding them helps your bond with them to grow - and they trust you more.

Some bunnies just hate being picked up though, it's just in their personality. It scares Ruby and annoys Benny so I have a set up where I don't need to very often. Of course there is always nail clipping time, bum checking time and vet time...it's never easy!! :shock:

I always keep them close to me when lowering myself to the floor. I try to sit them on my knees once I'm crouched so they can jump off safely.

It's an odd sensation to them when they feel they're lowering but you'll soon find what works for them.

I've got scars from Daphne scratching my chest so I now hold her with her back to my chest supporting her bum & around her front legs. This way if she does kick out I can still support her spine etc but she can't harm me.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As others have said I hold them as tight as possible as long as possible but after keeping buns for over 30 years I do still get scratched. Maybe I'm just clumsy, or maybe I'm missing something. If you find any surefire tips, please let me know! :D

Thanks for the all replies.

I'm going to try your tip later dp, when I get the boys in, holding them the other way round, rather than towards me x

Fingers crossed it helps. So long as their back is snuggled into your chest (if you have decent size mammary glands - snuggle them in between to help support them) :)

I always hold bunnies with back to my chest too, one hand under chest and other under bum. Pick up from the rear, I find it much easier :thumb:

Fingers crossed it helps. So long as their back is snuggled into your chest (if you have decent size mammary glands - snuggle them in between to help support them) :)

Lol :lol: Unfortunately no, breastfeeding three children saw to that :D

Eyeroll, I couldn't believe I didn't either :oops:

Well, it went ok. Theo, who's generally calmer anyway, was perfect. Sydney, however did struggle, but i got scratched on the arm, rather than the chest. I think I've got more work to do with him, he's not very trusting of us yet x

Mine are tricky to handle too. It is a very rare occasion I can pick them up easily. I usually have to resort to tricking them into the carrier by cornering them with it and then they can only run in. Anything like claw clipping has to be done in my bedroom as they are unsure of 'upstairs' and let me get on with it. Trying it downstairs they can smell home and try and make a run for it!

Sometimes I can tuck Lola along my arm underneath her and her head nestled in the crook of my arm. Then pull my cardigan round so she feels tucked in. With Cookie though the only way to get her in safely is to put her in the carrier and lower her back in to her pen. She sometimes starts tugging at the bars with her teeth if I don't open the door quick enough!

Having these girls makes me realise just how lucky I was with past bunnies who had no problem with handling at all! These current ones are hard work!

Boo was an awkward little mare to pick up when I got her. I read getting them used to be stroked all over rather than just the head area helps, that way it is less of a shock to them as they are not being handled in unfamiliar places. It worked for us. I admit to regularly picking Joey up because he is a dream, he practically hold his arms up for you

Hi, thanks for sharing that. It's difficult isn't it. I have six buns and none of them make it easy for me. Gotta love them though :) x

Boo was an awkward little mare to pick up when I got her. I read getting them used to be stroked all over rather than just the head area helps, that way it is less of a shock to them as they are not being handled in unfamiliar places. It worked for us. I admit to regularly picking Joey up because he is a dream, he practically hold his arms up for you

Aw, that's lovely about Joey :)

I think Sydney is definitely the worst, we haven't had him long though. He actually seems terrified and makes these sniffly noises and breathes fast. As soon as you put him down, he hops off happily though x

Back