• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The right time to pts?

isla

Mama Doe
Been a while since I've been on here - but advice needed if anyone would be so kind. Abbey is now 12 years old, and I think it's the right time to put her to sleep, she's a little active in the evenings, and eats a bit of grass. But has very recently gone off most other food, hay included. At the last vet appointment her teither were OK considering her age, but she has lost a lot of weight. And this week she has picked at her food, so is loosing more. She still getting around, but it's looking like more of a struggle. I don't want her to get to the point where everything hurts everyday, and she slowly gets thinner and thinner, but when she's first put in the garden in the evenings she's happy. I think I've made the right decision. She's also blind and has a slight head tilt - both of which she's delta with well for a few years, but where do you draw the line? I think another week of not eating well and she'll be too weak to function. Would others make the decision to pts now, while she's still sort of OK, or do I drag this out until she's in too much pain to keep going?

Been a while since I've been on here - but advice needed if anyone would be so kind. Abbey is now 12 years old, and I think it's the right time to put her to sleep, she's a little active in the evenings, and eats a bit of grass. But has very recently gone off most other food, hay included. At the last vet appointment her teither were OK considering her age, but she has lost a lot of weight. And this week she has picked at her food, so is loosing more. She still getting around, but it's looking like more of a struggle. I don't want her to get to the point where everything hurts everyday, and she slowly gets thinner and thinner, but when she's first put in the garden in the evenings she's happy. I think I've made the right decision. She's also blind and has a slight head tilt - both of which she's delta with well for a few years, but where do you draw the line? I think another week of not eating well and she'll be too weak to function. Would others make the decision to pts now, while she's still sort of OK, or do I drag this out until she's in too much pain to keep going?

Hello

Is Abbey on any medication at all ? If she is very arthritic then some Metacam may help her feel a lot more comfortable. That, in turn, may mean she eats more.

I cant tell you when a 'good' time is to PTS because for me I have to know the Rabbit and be able to read what they need. I think the only people able to make the PTS decision are the main care givers and a trusted Vet.

It is obvious that you want to do what is best for Abbey and you will know what that is and when xx

Aaww Isla, it's nice to see you posting again :)

I really really understand how you feel and the position you're in. It's a very difficult call.

Older bunnies can often lose an alarming amount of weight, and it's difficult to bring them back up again.

Do you know if she's in pain? I have given Metacam to arthritic bunnies and found that sometimes it doesn't actually make any difference to their movement or eating habits, but you could ask your vet for some to try, even if it's only for her last few days.

I would certainly talk with your vet about this, considering her weight, and think about it for a few days (if you feel you have that amount of time). You can both assess her quality of life and take it from there.

Please PM me if I can be of more help, as I understand your position entirely xx

Thank you both, she's not any pain killers atm, but I have some in the fridge so am just going to give her some tonight- it's not going to cause her halm. As for quality of life, I don't think she has much of one at the moment, she's in her dog create while I'm at work and out for a few hours in the evenings if it's not raining. I don't think she will survive the winter, and I don't like the idea of her going from a heated cage (has a lizard heat mat under a section of the cage) to the cold outside. The other option is her staying in the cage all winter, which isn't fair. I also don't want to drag this out, she's going downhill quickly. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and see her in so much pain that I have to rush her to the vet. I think I want her last days to be as happy and pain free as I can make them, and full of things like banana and all the stuff she isn't allowed (but not enough to cause tummy ache). She has greated veg tonight, she'll like that.

Hi Isla,

I'm so sorry you're having to make such a hard decision - I recently had to do it myself, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I'm not experienced enough to offer advice and opinions, but I just wanted to send you both (((warm hugs))) and (((nose rubs)))

Xx

I think if you feel it i the right time then it probably is as you know her better than everybody. It is such a hard decision to make, I have had to make the decison myslf for 2 rabbits and a hamster. I really feel for you, it must be heartbreaking to think of xx

It is, I can't have her in pain or distressed. But the idea of her not being here is horrid, I've been pretty much the only person she's known for 11 years. I hate that I'm going to get up and not have to prod her to wake up for breakfast, and get home from work to let her out and make her dinner. Or even go abbey shopping- she has her own shopping list, with 3 different types of special hay every week because she has been fussy with hay for about a year. But i'd happily continue forever if she could, but I think she's starting to suffer.

I had my Rosie pts she was 12 nearly 6 years ago, I knew it had to be done, really hard.
Thinking of you. You'll know when the time is right and I know you'll do your very best for Abbey xx

I think it's time, she isn't overly stressed at the moment, but I don't want her to be. And I think it's a matter of days until she is. I've just put her away for the night, and felt down her back - you can feel all her bones, she probably looks better than she actually is because she moulting so looks fluffy, but I know last time she was weighed she had lost nearly half her body weight. I know her last days are coming, and I want them to be pain free and happy, instead of slowly wasting away.

Lots of bananas and nose rubs for Abbey. Make sure to take some time for yourself too - whatever you decide, you'll need enough strength for both of you x

You know your bunny and you can see and feel the change - I have an elder by who is 11 and I feel that my instinct will tell me when it's the right time and I truely hope I get the signs a little too early than when he is distressed as I love him so much and it's kinda what I would want for myself, strange that it's easier to make the right decision for animals and not for humans but at least as four foot guardians we have that choice.

It sounds like you know your bunny really well so I'm sure you will know what your heart tells you is right.

Hope this helps❤️🐰

I think it's time, she isn't overly stressed at the moment, but I don't want her to be. And I think it's a matter of days until she is. I've just put her away for the night, and felt down her back - you can feel all her bones, she probably looks better than she actually is because she moulting so looks fluffy, but I know last time she was weighed she had lost nearly half her body weight. I know her last days are coming, and I want them to be pain free and happy, instead of slowly wasting away.

You know what is right for Abbey and you are putting her needs first xx

I just put her outside and unfortunately she is particularly grumpy today, but that could be just because it's a bit early, she usually likes 7 am. I think I've made the decision, even though I was toying with the idea of getting a new outside run, with a heater a seeing if I could get her through winter with painkillers- but even that is just delaying it.

Thinking of you and sending hugs to you both :love:

Thank you all. It's booked for tomorrow morning. She's in the garden now, but even when I picked her up in the pet carrier I could easily notice the weight difference. And she's a little wobbly getting about. I think if I left her she wouldn't have long.

Thank you all. It's booked for tomorrow morning. She's in the garden now, but even when I picked her up in the pet carrier I could easily notice the weight difference. And she's a little wobbly getting about. I think if I left her she wouldn't have long.

I hope she enjoys her garden time this evening. Wishing her a peaceful passing tomorrow. You have made a very selfless and brave decision x

You have made a very brave choice and I can't imagine how difficult this will be for you! Try to remember what an amazing life you have given Abbey (I only hope Milo & Rory live to 12!! What a great age!!) You've done everything you can now enjoy your evening with her! My little family will be thinking of you! All my love xxxxxxxx

Back