• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nebuliser help

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi
I have just purchased an Omron nebuliser as my rabbit has been diagnosed with snuffles. At present he has discharge from his nose and eyes but its not too bad at the moment, I have had a rabbit with snuffles before many years ago and it was horrendous. We had to have her pts.
Things have changed a lot since, so I know there is much more I can do this time round, so am looking at using Echinacea and other herbs to try and up his immune system.
I haven't looked at the nebuliser yet, I bought one as the vets put him in a chamber with one last time we went, and recommended buying one, but I have no idea how to set it all up. Is it best to go to the vets for help with this or can someone advise?
Thank you :)

Hi
I have just purchased an Omron nebuliser as my rabbit has been diagnosed with snuffles. At present he has discharge from his nose and eyes but its not too bad at the moment, I have had a rabbit with snuffles before many years ago and it was horrendous. We had to have her pts.
Things have changed a lot since, so I know there is much more I can do this time round, so am looking at using Echinacea and other herbs to try and up his immune system.
I haven't looked at the nebuliser yet, I bought one as the vets put him in a chamber with one last time we went, and recommended buying one, but I have no idea how to set it all up. Is it best to go to the vets for help with this or can someone advise?
Thank you :)

Do you mean set up a chamber ?

If so take a look at these :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29dG5fU5J4

Last edited:
When I nebulised my Bridge Bun Furby I was unsure how to set up a chamber and popped him on my lap with the mask over his face and he was absolutely fine. It was a lot easier doing it that way but I imagine it would freak out some buns.

When I nebulised my Bridge Bun Furby I was unsure how to set up a chamber and popped him on my lap with the mask over his face and he was absolutely fine. It was a lot easier doing it that way but I imagine it would freak out some buns.

It would certainly freak out Bracken! :lol:

we used a clear plastic 80ltr storage box from wilkos as the chamber. put a small hole in the side for the nozzle to fit through and then just taped it to the outside of the box :wave:

It would certainly freak out Bracken! :lol:

I was amazed Furby coped so well. It was just an experiment before I tried to work out how to make a chamber. I didn't put the mask over his face to start with, just held him on my lap and stroked him and held it in front of him so he could get used to the noise. His breathing was better while he was being nebulised and in the end he seemed to actively enjoy the sessions - he got lots of strokes and cuddles while I was holding him. I do miss him - he was a gorgeous, soft bundle of fur who had been used as a breeding buck and was part of the Lymington rescue that the Duchess organised some years ago.

I hope the nebuliser helps Bracken. Buns are very different. Mine would have been more stressed at being shut in a chamber than being on my lap with a mask, but I am fortunate in that my buns are all pretty easy to handle and medicate. I dread to think what would happen if I had to nebulise one of the guinea-pigs, judging by the squeaking when I cut their nails!!!

I think most people use chambers for nebulising with success so hopefully Bracken will benefit too. Sending lots and lots of vibes xxxx

I was amazed Furby coped so well. It was just an experiment before I tried to work out how to make a chamber. I didn't put the mask over his face to start with, just held him on my lap and stroked him and held it in front of him so he could get used to the noise. His breathing was better while he was being nebulised and in the end he seemed to actively enjoy the sessions - he got lots of strokes and cuddles while I was holding him. I do miss him - he was a gorgeous, soft bundle of fur who had been used as a breeding buck and was part of the Lymington rescue that the Duchess organised some years ago.

I hope the nebuliser helps Bracken. Buns are very different. Mine would have been more stressed at being shut in a chamber than being on my lap with a mask, but I am fortunate in that my buns are all pretty easy to handle and medicate. I dread to think what would happen if I had to nebulise one of the guinea-pigs, judging by the squeaking when I cut their nails!!!

I think most people use chambers for nebulising with success so hopefully Bracken will benefit too. Sending lots and lots of vibes xxxx

Thank you Rhianna for your post :) He seemed ok in the chamber at the vets, just dug around getting a bit grumpy but then that's his nature!

Thank you! Did you use saline or this F10 (?) stuff?

saline mixed with the meds that were being nebulised. f10 was tried but didn't work for matt. there is a stronger saline also available aswell should it be needed, but usually the regular saline is enough for most rabbits.

Bramble also used a nebuliser. He had a cat one where the little mask went over his nose. He got so good at it he would just do it while sitting on the floor. He had to take ten breaths, and I think he learnt to count too!

If you wanted to nebulise baytril then the injectable baytril is better than the oral. The oral one foams.

Back