• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaking water bottles! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jay

Mama Doe
Why do we have to put up with them? There must be an alternative! I have tried cheap ones and an expensive glass one (which I dropped and smashed) which said it didn't leak. It did.

Ben and Roo have their water bottle in their little hutch (they live in a mismash of hutches joined together) and they only go in there now for a drink because the floor is always wet. They drag all the hay from in there out too so they obviously just don't like it in there.

Does anyone else find this annoying or have a solution?

I put a (half-filled) bowl underneath: when Lopsy decided he'd rather drink from the bowl than the bottle I took the bottle away! I still have them but rarely use them.

I also use waters bowls, the only bottles I do have is for the outside run as I don't care if it leaks out there! :lol: I don't think you're going to find one that won't leak ever, it's just how they work unfortunately. I'd suggest trying to wean them over to bowls, if possible, but if not like kelet has already said, put a bowl underneath to catch the dripping. :)

I use bowls as theyre so much easier... You could even get one of those taller water dispenser type bowls

bisc has a bowl. but the bottles i use for the guinea pigs are the biba savic ones and they're really good :wave:

I use these flat fish cans, one half inside the cage, and a normal glass bottle upside down on the outside. The can is slightly angled so that the water level is close to the rim.

I use the Classic water bottles (if that makes sense? the brand!) and only occasionally had an issue with these. They don't leak for me at the mo. I have used bowls in the past, but didn't like how bedding or hay got into them. Of course you change the water in bottles every day anyway - but I would have to change the water in the bowls soo many times a day. And I didn't like the thought of them having to drink out of poss contaminated water while I was out or something :oops:

I use big, ceramic, straight sided dog bowls. I've found over the years bunnies have to exert so much effort for very little reward with bottles. My buns love a very long slurpy drink snd they can't tip the bowls over, win, win, all around.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Another vote for bowls. I found those horrid drippy bottles useless and the ball at the end used to get so scaled up that nothing much would come out. Large heavy dog bowls are so much better and bunny gets a good drink from it. His chin does sometimes get a bit wet though!

Big ceramic spaniel bowl for my Conti's. They are a bit older now but when I first got the, they would chuck everything else around. I hated water bottles the minute I tried them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for bowls. When I got both my bunnies, I always offer both at first but both went straight to the bowl and much prefer it over their bottle!

Plus Maybe it's just me, but I love the noise of when they are gulping their water down from a bowl! :lol:

I prefer bowls too. I use ceramic dog bowls from the dollar store. The bunnies don't move them and they're easy to clean. That's what I hate about bottles - besides being unnatural - even if they don't leak or anything I just never feel like bottles are very hygienic as they're not easy to wipe out all the nooks and crannies but with a bowl I can wipe it out with a bit of paper towel and maybe white vinegar everyday and it's all a solid surface, no hidden areas you can't see etc.

Back