• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head

Barbara

New Kit
I bought a little rabbit this morning from a pet shop and I'm a little worried about her, she fine apart from when she's still then her head slowly moves to one side, she quickly corrects herself but does it every time she's still, any ideas please.

Is she a white rabbit with blue eyes, by any chance?
Some white animals tend to scan (ie move their head slightly) to see properly. I've seen it in rabbits and chipmunks quite a lot.

Otherwise, I would suggest a vet check up along with her first vaccinations.

Is her head staying level? If so as already mentioned it is most likely scanning and due to poor eyesight.

If her head is twisting and not staying level I would be more worried and want a vets opinion.

I bought a little rabbit this morning from a pet shop and I'm a little worried about her, she fine apart from when she's still then her head slowly moves to one side, she quickly corrects herself but does it every time she's still, any ideas please.

White rabbits with red eyes do this. It's called 'scanning' and is connected with their eyesight.

Does her head ever remain on one side Barbara?

One of my bunnies does this, shes a REW lop. She does it mostly in unfamiliar environments such as in the garden (she is a house bunny). Boo is also deaf so spooks a lot

That's exactly what's she doing. Her eyes are blue but look red in the light.

Blue eyes are another colour that is often connected to poor sight, there is nothing to worry about though. If it wasn't for the scanning you probably wouldn't be able to tell that a lot of rabbits don't have brilliant eyesight. My Poppy scans and she has brown eyes and she is grey so has none of the common risk factors.

You do need to make sure you don't surprise your little one though, a hand suddenly appearing next to your face when you have not seen it coming would make anyone jump and could lead to a nip or a growl or something but it would be only in shock! I find talking to the bun so they know you are there helps.

My Poppy also won't jump on things and if she does will jump down only in the place she jumped up, I don't think she can gauge distances very well and prefers to keep her feet on the ground so that she doesn't find herself stuck somewhere with no idea how far down she needs to jump! Other buns may be braver than her though.

You may also notice that as you bun settles the scanning will decrease, Pops only scans now when something's changed or she is unsure, like at the vets!

My REW lionhead does this as well and I've found that not moving things around unless I have to makes his life easier. He also seems to prefer a blue underbed storage box to a clear one (I'm guessing it's a more solid appearance) and uses the purple igloo I put as a step outside the hutch as a guide for the height of the jump. When I have to board them I try to take the purple igloo with me as well so he has a familiar height gauge when he's away as well.

Back