• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think Beano needs her second dental

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
She had her first last year, september time I think it was. Her only symptom was going off pellets and being slow to eat other foods. For the past day or so she hasn't been finishing all her pellets, and today she wouldn't eat a round crunchie only the disc shaped ones and hasn't been eating much hay although she's had plenty of grass today. So will be taking her to the vets tomorrow, which she won't be happy about but need to get her teethies checked!

I find monitoring weight really helpful. Scarlet gets weighed every month as well as having a tooth check. She usually needs something done in her mouth at least twice a year.

Yeah thank you, that's a good point! She had been slowly loosing a small amount of weight, she is getting on a bit, but has remained steady for a few months now.

She had her first last year, september time I think it was. Her only symptom was going off pellets and being slow to eat other foods. For the past day or so she hasn't been finishing all her pellets, and today she wouldn't eat a round crunchie only the disc shaped ones and hasn't been eating much hay although she's had plenty of grass today. So will be taking her to the vets tomorrow, which she won't be happy about but need to get her teethies checked!

Is she going for a check, or for the real thing?

Poor Beans!

Is she going for a check, or for the real thing?

Poor Beans!

It will just be a check and to book her in for a dental if needed I presume, as she hasn't had them checked at the vets since her last visit a while ago.

Thank you both. She refused a disc shaped crunchie tonight :( But is eating grass, hay (although less than usual) and had plenty of herbs/veg. I am fairly sure it's her teeth as there's no other symptoms and she will go to bite a crunchie but then pull away, if she can't have the dental tomorrow she will come home with pain killer until it can be done hopefully tuesday.

On another note, I have just discovered scent glands :oops: Beano sometimes has issues with a slightly runny bum if she has too much veg so I check her regularly and checked her this evening and saw a black, crusty line next to her vulva so gave it a gently 'poke' and it looked like an opening. I panicked, thinking it could be a tear in her skin or something until I noticed the same at the other side and after a quick search I've gathered they're scent glands. Does anyone know if they need cleaning if black, crusty stuff is visible or is this normal? A couple of small, black chunks was on her fur so I eased them out but obviously don't want to poke down around there when not needed. I will ask the vets tomorrow anyway.

Thank you both. She refused a disc shaped crunchie tonight :( But is eating grass, hay (although less than usual) and had plenty of herbs/veg. I am fairly sure it's her teeth as there's no other symptoms and she will go to bite a crunchie but then pull away, if she can't have the dental tomorrow she will come home with pain killer until it can be done hopefully tuesday.

On another note, I have just discovered scent glands :oops: Beano sometimes has issues with a slightly runny bum if she has too much veg so I check her regularly and checked her this evening and saw a black, crusty line next to her vulva so gave it a gently 'poke' and it looked like an opening. I panicked, thinking it could be a tear in her skin or something until I noticed the same at the other side and after a quick search I've gathered they're scent glands. Does anyone know if they need cleaning if black, crusty stuff is visible or is this normal? A couple of small, black chunks was on her fur so I eased them out but obviously don't want to poke down around there when not needed. I will ask the vets tomorrow anyway.

Yes scent glands can be a bit alarming when you've not noticed them before. Lots of people think they are tears in the skin.

What I do, especially if a rabbit can't clean themselves for some reason, is use a cotton bud dipped in water to ease out the gunk. As you've found out, it usually comes out of it's own accord!

I find monitoring weight really helpful. Scarlet gets weighed every month as well as having a tooth check. She usually needs something done in her mouth at least twice a year.

Very good advice from RF, unexplained weightloss can be an early warning sign of trouble brewing. I hope all goes well for Beano's visit to the Vet xx

Thank you all. The vet could see one tooth on her lower and top jaw was making her cheeks sore so she is booked in for a dental on Friday, that was the earliest they could book it as they're doing two bunny dentals a day until then! She is on metacam to keep her comfortable until then as she is still eating most foods.

She has also put some weight on, which I am pleased about as she was loosing a small amount so has been having some extra food.

Thank you all. The vet could see one tooth on her lower and top jaw was making her cheeks sore so she is booked in for a dental on Friday, that was the earliest they could book it as they're doing two bunny dentals a day until then! She is on metacam to keep her comfortable until then as she is still eating most foods.

She has also put some weight on, which I am pleased about as she was loosing a small amount so has been having some extra food.

I hope that all will go well for her, it's a shame the Vet could not fit her in before Friday xx

I hope that all will go well for her, it's a shame the Vet could not fit her in before Friday xx

It is, if she doesn't pick up with the metacam I will ring back as could take her to another one of their practices sooner but she is acting fine in herself so I hope they aren't bothering her too much. I would rather go to the vets I know you see. I will be worried about her on Friday, but I know dentals are a routine procedure that generally go well and she bounced back from her last one. xx

It is, if she doesn't pick up with the metacam I will ring back as could take her to another one of their practices sooner but she is acting fine in herself so I hope they aren't bothering her too much. I would rather go to the vets I know you see. I will be worried about her on Friday, but I know dentals are a routine procedure that generally go well and she bounced back from her last one. xx

I can understand that :)

I'm glad she's put some weight on :D

I guess that makes it not so worrisome to wait until Friday for the dental then?

Just dropped Beano off, with Jake for company and a packed lunch. Every one always calls her a he, my excuse for her boyish name is that I was 13 when I named her after reading a book with a rabbit in it called Beano, although that rabbit was an albino rabbit hence the name! :lol: Beano was not impressed at being back at the vets so soon, and bit the vet! Hopefully she will have settled down by now, biting is a common occurrence for her anyway!

She had been eating her pellets again since having the metacam so definitely looks like she wasn't eating them because of her sore cheeks/tongue.

Keeping Beano in my thoughts today for a successful dental and quick recovery! :) Mimzy just had this done earlier in the week, and yeah, they always call him "she/her" no matter how many times I correct them...and of course it's on his paperwork, right? :roll:

I can't point fingers, I mis-gendered him when I first found him. :oops:

Back