• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike took our lil girl, Toffee :'(

Hello all,

Unfortunately I bring some very upsetting news, this evening our rabbit Toffee died.

In Feb 2014, Toffee was found by my Nan, who found her in her garden one day. When my Nan took her to the people who owned her they said they had let her go free because the kids had lost interest! Nan couldn't keep her because of her dog so we said we'd take her in. I did research into diet etc.. and we also decided to have her as an indoor rabbit as we felt that would be the best.

The other day my mum had fed her and mentioned to me that she didn't seem herself. She usually hops and like crazy knowing food was coming, but was instead not interested. I said we should keep an eye on her that day. (She'd been a bit like that before and then been fine after a while so we were a bit concerned but not panicked).

She had still not eaten her fresh veggies by the evening and seemed to be just sitting hunched up in the corner quietly, not even coming over when I called her. She doesn't really like being picked up, but I wanted to check her over and noticed that she had quite a poopy bum and it had got stuck in her longer fur around that area. It would have been difficult to clean with wipes so we did a shallow bath for her and cleaned her up.

That night I was sitting up late on the computer and started looking into possible causes for loss of appetite in rabbits. There were quite a few things that came up, including scanning across a section with things like flystrike - which just sounded absolutely awful but didn't imagine it would be that. I was thinking perhaps she had a blockage.

It was about 1am and I had a feeling I just needed to go and check on her again. She was still sat there but did start to hop about a bit. As she turned her back to me, I noticed her fur around her lower back, tail and bottom looked wet. I thought that was strange as the rest of her had dried since her bath.
I then thought I saw something move within the wet fur. I then felt more panicked - knowing about what I had read. My stepdad woke up as he heard me with the rabbit and I asked him to check her when I picked her up. Sure enough, when I showed him he confirmed it - there were maggots. She had flystrike! :'(

I felt absolutely sick and completely gobsmacked as she looked fine earlier when we was giving her a bath.
We woke mum and we all got her in another warm soak and kept washing her till we got clear water - and there were sooooo many that came from her, it was unbelievable!! Her fur all on her lower back was coming off and revealed the wounds underneath. It looked so awful :'(

We kept changing the water and washed her till no more came off her. We then moved her into a large dog crate which we covered with netting to try and prevent any flies getting to her.

The next day we bathed her again to make sure she was clear of them. Her wounds looked very raw but had dried up which was a good sign. She was still not eating though. I started to try and syringe feed her now and then and always kept offering her hay, pellets and fresh veg. She seemed really weak though and didn't even fuss like usual when lifting or picking her up.

Then this evening we were watching a film after I had tried giving her some more food, when suddenly we heard a clattering around in the crate. When we went to check her, she was just laid there. She had died :'(
It was very upsetting for all of us and my 3 younger brothers were all in tears too.
She will be missed very much.

I wanted to post this to help to raise awareness about flystrike. We had no clue about it and if we had we would have taken more preventative measures.
I've read outdoor bunnies are at higher risk, but ours was indoor and cleaned out every day, though she was near the back door that we have been keeping open a lot in this warmer weather and hadn't noticed her poopy bum underneath which must of encouraged the flies.

So please please all keep a check on your bunnies; it all happened SO quickly and would not wish this to happen to anyones bunnies - it's truly one of the most awful things I have ever seen! :(

R.I.P our beautiful girl, Toffee xxxxx

2027_zpshk3rnhnt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I am so very sorry for your loss, how very tragic. :cry:
(((((Sending hugs for you and your family))))))
Sleep well, beautiful Toffee. xxxx

I'm so sorry for your loss. But thank you for sharing your story and raising awareness, you never know how many rabbits this might save.

Sweet dreams Toffee <3

I'm so sorry this has happened. It must have been very distressing for you.

I'm just wondering something though, because as you say, when you noticed and cleaned her up initially she seemed fine, does anyone know if there would have been any other signs to look out for? It's concerning that potentially we could notice a poopy bum and clean it, but it might be too late already! x

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Flystrike is such a terrible thing and sadly many of them pass due to the shock and stress involved.

Many will stop eating due to the pain, and shock will set in following treatment. If they survive the first 48 hours with shock and can get eating again my themselves (or at least accepting syringe feeding) It's then infection which becomes the issue.

I'm sorry you had to lose her in such a way, she was so very beautiful. RIP xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What a sad story. I'm aware of flystrike and the risks, but this makes me more cautious of it for sure. It's something I'd never want to have to see, let alone deal with. RIP wee toffee xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Flystrike is such a terrible thing and sadly many of them pass due to the shock and stress involved.

Many will stop eating due to the pain, and shock will set in following treatment. If they survive the first 48 hours with shock and can get eating again my themselves (or at least accepting syringe feeding) It's then infection which becomes the issue.

I'm sorry you had to lose her in such a way, she was so very beautiful. RIP xx

Thanks dp, it's so worrying that you could think you have caught it in time, but unfortunately still lose them :( x

So sorry that you and Toffee went through that :( My bunny had flystrike a week ago, and seems to be recovering, but I remember how awful it was when I first saw those maggots. You really don't expect something like that to happen to your bun. Toffee looks like a lovely bunny and I'm sure she lived a great life with you and your family. <3

i'm very sorry for your loss. it must have been extremely distressing for you all to witness. sweet dreams beautiful toffee x

Hi Bexyb&bunny
First of all just want to say how sorry I am about the loss of Toffee. You must be devastated.
But I also wanted to thank you for sharing the story of what happened. DeeDee had diahorrea a couple of days ago and although she now seems to be eating and pooing OK, after reading your post I decided to check her bottom last night. She is totally black and so it is hard to see and she hates being handled. I managed to get my hand under her bottom as she hopped by, and was horrified to find that it felt very crusty. We caught her and managed to sponge her bottom and clean her up although she was bucking and kicking like crazy (hubby got bitten). When we let her go she was shaking and obviously very unhappy. But she is at least clean, and she had recovered her nerves enough overnight to eat her breakfast this morning. She is an indoor rabbit, with husbun Fred, but it is always possible that a fly can get in, even though we are very careful. Without your post I would never have thought to check her, I assumed she would just have cleaned herself up as it was not a chronic condition. Your post showed that this can happen even when you are a loving and caring bunny lover, and always do the best for your rabbits. It was a big wake up call for us. So even though you were very upset the post you made may have saved her life. So thank you so VERY much on behalf of me, hubby, Fred and DeeDee. x

Hope you are doing ok Bexyb x

So glad DeeDee is ok casba99. It does show that sharing our experiences can help other buns who might otherwise suffer x

Back