• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick response needed please

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok I had to go to the out of hours doctor as have an awful chest and throat infection. On walking back to the car I saw too wild bunnies jumping around on the grounds. Dan walked on the grass where they were now I am panicking that he has vhd2 on his trainers, do I need to get him to clean them before walking in doors?
Jimby and Cookie were vaccinated with Filivac about a month ago now.

No. Dan does not need to clean his trainers.

Hope Chloe and Jack are OK, and that you feel better soon!

Thank you! I think the OCD is getting worse cause I'm not feeling well and am weak it knows I can't fight it as much.

Thank you! I think the OCD is getting worse cause I'm not feeling well and am weak it knows I can't fight it as much.

I know it's going to seem like a silly thing for me to say - words on a screen can't override what you're thinking - but everything is absolutely fine. Your rabbits are vaccinated; they are as protected as they can be. You really don't need to be taking extra steps, like washing shoes and your feet. Honestly.

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill. Hope your family are OK. Take care x

Hi, I hope the earlier posts have helped to reassure you. I just wanted to say that I have suffered with OCD (currently under control with meds, mostly) and I know how it can latch onto things x

It's horrible, isn't it?! Now that the bunnies are vaccinated its trying to grab hold of something else and right now it's winning as in so unwell.
I just want to be 'normal' even just for a day to know what it feels like.

It really is! I was so ill after my third child was born (and before, but thats when it really took hold). It robbed me of that precious time, there are photos of me during that time and I was 'gone' :(. I don't know how ever came back from it tbh. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat about it x

Sending you vibes.
You're normal. Completely normal.
Everything is fine in your home. The bunnies are safe, you're safe and your family is safe.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your support!

I am totally fuming with Dan right now!!

His friend lives up north and is a greens keeper so part of his job is to 'dispatch' infected bunnies on the green. His friend has some speakers that he was going to give to Dan, I am worried about them due to the nature of his friends job so when his friend came down to visit he left the speakers with another friend who's wife wanted them gone, I told Dan that they would need to be dropped off and left in his mums garage so that Dan would not come into contact with them at all!
Today I found out that Dan got my dad to go and pick them up so they are now at my parents!!
Do I need to worry????????

I'm furious with him, I can't even bring myself to look at him right now! I know I'm probably over reacting but how the hell can he think that was an acceptable thing to do?!

Are you sure I don't need to worry as they have only been vaccinated a month and those speakers have been up there for years with his friend??

Positive.

The immunity is there in 7 days hun x
I'm sure others will be along soon to reassure you too

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You are overreacting - it's understandable, given the OCD, but your bunnies are as immune as they can be :) Dan didn't do anything wrong - he won't bring VHD into the house from some speakers - and your bunnies are perfectly safe.

Yes, daphnephoebe is right, they have immunity after 7 days. So you don't need to worry.

I get it though, once the OCD latches onto something, it's difficult to think rationally about it. I hope this passes for you soon x

I'm sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but really I need to stop you there. Especially as someone who has an intense fear of pathogens myself (not animal pathogens, human pathogens). Intense enough to fear touching door handles, letters that have come through the post (for me ideally I'd leave them a good 4-5 days somewhere away before touching them to let certain potential viruses or bacteria die without a host, even rubber gloves sometimes isn't enough to help me relax as I worry I'm going to contaminate myself taking them off), washing food tins etc from the shops. At my worst, I was washing my hands daily with bleach, even though I have eczema all over my skin. I can't take the medication prescribed because one of my fears is having an allergic reaction the medication. So I do know how entirely unrealistic and unreasonable, but so very frightening and real to you it is.

You need to take responsibility for your illness, not your OH. There are certain things he can do to help relieve you of some of your worries, but you must understand (as I do myself) that those worries are extreme, even when the worries plague you and seem such a real risk. He can help certainly, but it's entirely unreasonable to control him and things he does to this degree because of your illness. It's not reasonable for him to perform avoidance behaviours which you put upon him.

To be honest, I think he's been very tolerant originally not taking the speakers because of your OCD. To then have you not speaking to him because your parents picked these speakers up is not fair at all. Consider not just your feelings but his own - he must feel nothing he does is right, or good enough. These speakers could have been disinfected in the car boot or even at your parents garage, and that in addition with your rabbits being vaccinated is more than enough. You know it deep deep down, and you and I both understand it's the OCD taking over telling you it's not enough. But to punish your OH like this because of your illness isn't fair - and you have said you know you are probably overreacting yet still think his behaviour is unacceptable, not that perhaps it's you who is (whether it's your fault or not).

I know this is probably going to seem as if I'm attacking, and I'm sorry if it does as it's not meant that way. I'm a sufferer myself. You need to cope with your illness with support, other people can help but can't be expected (or forced via negative reinforcement) to pander to this and be controlled to this extreme. It would only make it worse for you anyway in the long run. I understand we can't help having these illnesses, but it's not our OH's fault either.

I'm furious with him, I can't even bring myself to look at him right now! I know I'm probably over reacting but how the hell can he think that was an acceptable thing to do?!

Are you sure I don't need to worry as they have only been vaccinated a month and those speakers have been up there for years with his friend??

Last edited:
Back