• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bailey acting weird since being home!

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

So this week, I ended up heading back to Wales for the week to catch up with friends and family, due to my partners work commitments, I ended up taking the bunnies with me! Travel wise both were brilliant and enjoyed their temporary accommodation being very spoilt having the whole of the upstairs to live in.

Anyways we returned this afternoon. Bella has been absolutely fine, and back in her room eating like a pig and running round.

Bailey on the other hand, seems to be creeping round slightly and although eaten his herbs and hay fine, has gone off his pellets and overall quite quiet. He's fine in himself lying out, but I can't help thinking he's a little depressed and upset he's back home. I'm guessing he's in a sulk and will be okay after a nights sleep, what's everyone's thoughts, I know I might just be over worrying but hate the thought of him not being happy being back to normal at home? Xxx

I really wouldn't be too concerned. I think it's possibly more that he is confused, rather than he is unhappy. Rabbits in my experience don't do change very easily. They like things to be the same day after day as it gives them a sense of security. Mine for instance don't like it if I change things around or change the time of certain meals. Give him a couple of days to settle in again and I'm sure he'll be fine.

I bet it was nice to be back home for a while :)

Hi everyone,

So this week, I ended up heading back to Wales for the week to catch up with friends and family, due to my partners work commitments, I ended up taking the bunnies with me! Travel wise both were brilliant and enjoyed their temporary accommodation being very spoilt having the whole of the upstairs to live in.

Anyways we returned this afternoon. Bella has been absolutely fine, and back in her room eating like a pig and running round.

Bailey on the other hand, seems to be creeping round slightly and although eaten his herbs and hay fine, has gone off his pellets and overall quite quiet. He's fine in himself lying out, but I can't help thinking he's a little depressed and upset he's back home. I'm guessing he's in a sulk and will be okay after a nights sleep, what's everyone's thoughts, I know I might just be over worrying but hate the thought of him not being happy being back to normal at home? Xxx

Hi Ruth

It's a bit odd, I must say, as my bunnies always *love* being back home. Even though they enjoy visiting new places.

I don't think he's upset and depressed that he's back home. That doesn't ring true to me at all. See how he goes. Is he drinking OK?

Glad to hear everything went well!

I agree with Omi - by the sound of it he just need a little bit of time to settle back in; its great that he's still eating hay and herbs.

Keep a close eye on him just incase though, hopefully he will be back to normal in a few days. :D

Hi guys, thanks so much for all your comments.

He's absolulty fine this morning, came grunting for his pellets and demolished them so he's back to his normal self. He's also been doing bunny 500's so must be happier now. Maybe it was just all the change had slightly unsettled him.

However mightymax... Thanks for your comment about the water, I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same as this?? So whilst we was in Wales he was having welsh water which is hundreds times nicer than our grubby filtered water he has to put up with here. His diet remained the same throughout, he was cool enough in himself but he's drank pretty much double this last week almost drinking a whole bowl full daily, anytime I put fresh water down he was their lapping it up.

Now we're home, I've monitored him and he's back to his normal sort of half a bowl he drinks, which is fine and I'm not too worried although could it be if much prefers the welsh water and I should try and sort out a way of getting him some? Or am I just being daft, health wise he's fine but I am continuing to watch his water intake over this next week to see if it changes again. Xx

All good :) Interesting about him liking Welsh water & drinking loads more because of it, what a discerning little chap. I trust you will be returning on a regular basis to get him more :lol: x

Hi guys, thanks so much for all your comments.

He's absolulty fine this morning, came grunting for his pellets and demolished them so he's back to his normal self. He's also been doing bunny 500's so must be happier now. Maybe it was just all the change had slightly unsettled him.

However mightymax... Thanks for your comment about the water, I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same as this?? So whilst we was in Wales he was having welsh water which is hundreds times nicer than our grubby filtered water he has to put up with here. His diet remained the same throughout, he was cool enough in himself but he's drank pretty much double this last week almost drinking a whole bowl full daily, anytime I put fresh water down he was their lapping it up.

Now we're home, I've monitored him and he's back to his normal sort of half a bowl he drinks, which is fine and I'm not too worried although could it be if much prefers the welsh water and I should try and sort out a way of getting him some? Or am I just being daft, health wise he's fine but I am continuing to watch his water intake over this next week to see if it changes again. Xx

Hi Ruth

I thought of it because it does affect my rabbits when I take them away. I have lovely water here, and sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good where I take them. I don't think you're daft at all sourcing another water - buying a bottle of water can't harm and may help him to drink during times of stress, which is when they need to drink more (i.e. when there's been a change for them)

Glad to hear he's OK :wave:

All good :) Interesting about him liking Welsh water & drinking loads more because of it, what a discerning little chap. I trust you will be returning on a regular basis to get him more :lol: x

Haha, awkward little sod more like!

See today he's had his usual half a bowl full again, so I've been to tesco earlier to get some evian so I'll see how that goes, but I've told my parents to expect me at the August bank holiday and they are so happy bless them! (Missed out the part, it's only so I can get some water!) :lol: :lol:

Although my dad thinks he's got a new side line business to start now, saying bunnies prefer Welsh water! Haha!! So look out... Xxx

Back