• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roaming

JimmyT28

Young Bun
Does anyone allow there rabbits to have free roam of the garden during the day? And do you out then back in the hutch if you go out

Rabbits really should be supervised when free ranging as there are lot's of potential predators such as cats, foxes, birds of prey etc. The RWAF recommends that a hutch should be connected to am 8ft x 6ft predator proof run which the rabbits can access at all times in order to safely have exercise at times when supervised free ranging is not possible. Rabbits are naturally most active at dawn and dusk so it's important that they are able to exercise at these times of day when owners may well be in bed or busy doing other things.

Rabbits really should be supervised when free ranging as there are lot's of potential predators such as cats, foxes, birds of prey etc. The RWAF recommends that a hutch should be connected to am 8ft x 6ft predator proof run which the rabbits can access at all times in order to safely have exercise at times when supervised free ranging is not possible. Rabbits are naturally most active at dawn and dusk so it's important that they are able to exercise at these times of day when owners may well be in bed or busy doing other things.
This.

We would love to let our free roam but the garden is not suitable for this due to predators and gaps in the fences etc so instead we are looking to have a 15ft x 13ft run made that comes off the back door or is attached via a tunnel system to the house.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Louie used to come and go as he pleased but, when I went out, he was locked in the house.

Ours do but only when we're here and our front room and kitchen are optimally placed to keep an eye on them. They have boltholes out there just in case (a tube connected to a box where predators can't follow and they feel secure) but we never leave them out if we aren't there. It just isn't worth the risk. Our garden isnt huge, either.

My bun has the run of the garden when I'm home or when someone is at home. We also have rooms that look directly onto the garden (including the bathrooms) so we are always able to keep an eye out and hear everything. My garden isn't massive, but it is certainly big enough for her. We also have a dog (pomeranian x chihuahua) that is absolutely perfect with rabbits and is quite happy to ignore her whilst she's out and about, so that is another protection the bun has as she gets along great with the dog, I think she thinks the dog is another rabbit as she's the same size :lol: , though these aren't ever left alone together (I stress that greatly, it only takes one wrong move for something to go bad). All in all, yes it's great to allow them that free range time to really run and stretch those legs, however as the others have said, rabbits still need large accommodation to be put back into when they can't free range as that is likely when they're going to be active the most unfortunately!

Does anyone allow there rabbits to have free roam of the garden during the day? And do you out then back in the hutch if you go out[/QUOT

I like to stay out in the garden when they free roam. I can actually see more from the lounge window which is massive but I'm much more likely to get distracted inside & it would take me longer to intervene. I can't always see them all in the garden as there are loads of hidey places, overgrown bushes etc but I'd see a predator coming in hopefully. Mine are house bunnies, the back door is always open if they are out & they may choose to come in at a reasonable time but I've never been able to rely on it. If they go out I have to devote the whole day & evening to staying in.

Back