• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing and moist left eye

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper (poor bunny, seems to get it all) has been sneezing on and off for a while - I thought it was because the weather's been so hot and everywhere has been so dry and dusty so left it. Anyway, 3 or 4 days ago I noticed her left eye seemed a bit more moist than her right and last night it was obviously so. Not running, but not far off. Her nose is dry, her front paws are clean so no "dirty tissue" syndrome and aside from sneezing and damp eye, she's perfectly fine in herself.

She's off to see our vet tomorrow evening, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? I'm personally thinking it could either be something in her nose/eye like say a grass seed, piece of hay, or - worse case - dental as in a tooth is growing up and blocking her tear duct.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow but any thoughts in the meantime please? Ta. :)

My guess it's an allergic reaction to the hay. My doe often sneezes but has no other symptoms, which I put down to hay. The fact that one eye is moister than the other, would cause me to get it checked by a vet though which you are doing. Has either of them had dental issues before? I've been told it's rare for Rexes to get dental problems because their face is a better shape than say a lop.

I hope the vet appointment goes well and they are able to find out what the problem is.

Thanks for your reply Omi. I did initially think hayfever or similar, to be honest, but then she got this wet looking eye, even my husband commented on it last night as standing about 10ft away it was plainly obvious it looked like it was about to overflow and run (but it didn't). It's not gunky or anything, doesn't even seem to bother her (she doesn't seem to favour it and wash that side more than the other), it's just wet looking.

A good thought though and I'll mention it to the vet when I see her :)

Thumper (poor bunny, seems to get it all) has been sneezing on and off for a while - I thought it was because the weather's been so hot and everywhere has been so dry and dusty so left it. Anyway, 3 or 4 days ago I noticed her left eye seemed a bit more moist than her right and last night it was obviously so. Not running, but not far off. Her nose is dry, her front paws are clean so no "dirty tissue" syndrome and aside from sneezing and damp eye, she's perfectly fine in herself.

She's off to see our vet tomorrow evening, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? I'm personally thinking it could either be something in her nose/eye like say a grass seed, piece of hay, or - worse case - dental as in a tooth is growing up and blocking her tear duct.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow but any thoughts in the meantime please? Ta. :)

Hi Angie - haven't seen you for ages. Are you OK? :)

I agree it could be a bit of an allergy, and apparently lots of rabbits have been sneezing because of the weather at the moment.

However, one watery eye .. hmm .. Do you think she could have poked it with a bit of hay? I can imagine if both eyes were streaming, but one eye doesn't suggest allergy to me.

I expect the vet will drop the fluorescein dye in there and make sure there's no abrasions.

Blocked tear duct, well it could be, and eventually it would probably show up as a bit whitish with infection. Have you tried bathing it in cooled boiled water with a tiny pinch of salt? I find that calms a lot of inflammation.

Good luck Angie :D

Hi Angie - haven't seen you for ages. Are you OK? :)

Hi, MM, I am well thank you, that is very kind of you to ask. I hope you are well, too. Been busy with mum (and dad) as she's not been well and still going through it although much, much better, and also been mega busy with work. I have poked about on here, just not posted much if anything.

I agree it could be a bit of an allergy, and apparently lots of rabbits have been sneezing because of the weather at the moment.

However, one watery eye .. hmm .. Do you think she could have poked it with a bit of hay? I can imagine if both eyes were streaming, but one eye doesn't suggest allergy to me.

I don't know. It's not "streaming", just looks like it's about to overflow but never does, looks like it might go gunky, but doesn't. I honestly don't know what's wrong. She's been sneezing for a while (couple of weeks) before her eye went moist so I'm not sure what's brought her watery eye on.

I expect the vet will drop the fluorescein dye in there and make sure there's no abrasions.

Blocked tear duct, well it could be, and eventually it would probably show up as a bit whitish with infection. Have you tried bathing it in cooled boiled water with a tiny pinch of salt? I find that calms a lot of inflammation.

Good luck Angie :D

No, I haven't bathed it, haven't thought about that to be honest. But then as she's the one that is poorly most often I didn't really want to mess with her ... again. Poor thing's always being manhandled by the vet or me, I feel so sorry for her :(.

Had she simply only been sneezing I probably would have left it for a bit longer before going to the vet, but as this eye has now changed I can't leave it, it's not right. It doesn't seem to be making her uncomfortable (other than sneezing) but it's definitely not right.

And Coco sneezed tonight too ... but I think that was because she sniffed up some of her own fur that I'd just teased out, lol - at least I hope so! :?

I'll let you know what the vet does/says tomorrow. Hopefully it's something simple #fingerscrossed!

No, I haven't bathed it, haven't thought about that to be honest. But then as she's the one that is poorly most often I didn't really want to mess with her ... again. Poor thing's always being manhandled by the vet or me, I feel so sorry for her :(.

Had she simply only been sneezing I probably would have left it for a bit longer before going to the vet, but as this eye has now changed I can't leave it, it's not right. It doesn't seem to be making her uncomfortable (other than sneezing) but it's definitely not right.

And Coco sneezed tonight too ... but I think that was because she sniffed up some of her own fur that I'd just teased out, lol - at least I hope so! :?

I'll let you know what the vet does/says tomorrow. Hopefully it's something simple #fingerscrossed!

Yes, all fingers and paws crossed here for you. I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, and that your life's so full at the moment. Will you be able to get away for a holiday, or a break at least?

I'm glad you're seeing the vet, good luck there :)

Could be tooth/Dental related maybe. Elongated tooth roots can cause the symptoms you describe. Or the runny eye may have been caused by something getting in her eye and irritating it ( a bit of fur or hay for example). The Vet will probably check for any signs of infection in the eye/corneal abrasions. The dye used to do this is bright green and it should drain down the nasolacrimal duct and out of the nostril too. If this does not happen it might indicate that the duct is obstructed. This could be due to inflammation and/or tooth root elongation.

Hopefully any problem found will not be Dental related and easily treated. Good luck at the Vets.

Also, I hope that your Mum continues to get better xx

Thank you for your good wishes re my mum :) x

Went well at the vet though she didn't dye her eye as after a very close and seemingly thorough visual examination came to the conclusion that it could very well be dust in it. Anyway, she's told me to keep a close watch on it and if it's no better in 2 weeks' time, to go back. At that point they will knock her out and do an x-ray as it'll probably be dental if it doesn't clear up on its own by then.

Also, this morning Thumper was in pain, I had to give her a dose of metacam. She was lethargic, not shaking initially but did so eventually, but after about 3 hours the metacam kicked in and she was perfectly fine. I mentioned this to the vet who didn't think it was connected to her eye but obviously couldn't rule it out. However, when I mentioned that Thumps had managed to vacuum up some peanuts we'd left out for the birds - she is incredibly fast and had vacuumed up several before we got to her - the vet seemed to think it *could* have been that, but again we don't know for sure. It didn't affect her poop (she actually pooped into my hand, a nice golden one!), just made her lethargic and shake. So possibly gave her a bit of stomach ache, or certainly she had pain somewhere, but where and why remains a mystery.

Again, if she keeps showing pain over the next few days then I shan't wait for a fortnight, I'll just take her back and get the x-ray done earlier. But of course I'd rather it sort itself out if possible.

I met some friends for coffee today and as I approached their table, I was greeted with the words - and I quote - "you look really stressed, everything alright?". Not even a "hello" first! I didn't realise it was that obvious :(.

Hopefully, she'll be okay now and the peanuts - if that's what it was - have gone through her system so I'll be greeted with a rabbit eager to get out of the shed in the morning, rather than one that doesn't want to move, tomorrow. And if luck continues and the weather changes, the dust will literally settle and her eye and sneezes will sort themselves out too naturally.

With luck :).

I'm sorry that the vet couldn't give a definitive diagnosis about her eye. I would go with the dust theory though and hopefully it will resolve itself soon. Naughty little girlie eating peanuts :roll: I would imagine that they could well have been the cause of a tummy ache.

Yes, hopefully by tomorrow she will be back to normal in her manner and that the eye will also soon be better. It really is very stressful when they are unwell.

Thank you for your good wishes re my mum :) x

Went well at the vet though she didn't dye her eye as after a very close and seemingly thorough visual examination came to the conclusion that it could very well be dust in it. Anyway, she's told me to keep a close watch on it and if it's no better in 2 weeks' time, to go back. At that point they will knock her out and do an x-ray as it'll probably be dental if it doesn't clear up on its own by then.

Also, this morning Thumper was in pain, I had to give her a dose of metacam. She was lethargic, not shaking initially but did so eventually, but after about 3 hours the metacam kicked in and she was perfectly fine. I mentioned this to the vet who didn't think it was connected to her eye but obviously couldn't rule it out. However, when I mentioned that Thumps had managed to vacuum up some peanuts we'd left out for the birds - she is incredibly fast and had vacuumed up several before we got to her - the vet seemed to think it *could* have been that, but again we don't know for sure. It didn't affect her poop (she actually pooped into my hand, a nice golden one!), just made her lethargic and shake. So possibly gave her a bit of stomach ache, or certainly she had pain somewhere, but where and why remains a mystery.

Again, if she keeps showing pain over the next few days then I shan't wait for a fortnight, I'll just take her back and get the x-ray done earlier. But of course I'd rather it sort itself out if possible.

I met some friends for coffee today and as I approached their table, I was greeted with the words - and I quote - "you look really stressed, everything alright?". Not even a "hello" first! I didn't realise it was that obvious :(.

Hopefully, she'll be okay now and the peanuts - if that's what it was - have gone through her system so I'll be greeted with a rabbit eager to get out of the shed in the morning, rather than one that doesn't want to move, tomorrow. And if luck continues and the weather changes, the dust will literally settle and her eye and sneezes will sort themselves out too naturally.

With luck :).

Thank you for the update Angie. That seems a good plan. You could bathe it in cooled boiled water in the meantime :)

I hope the pain resolves itself, it's such a worry. I think you care a lot and that's why it shows to your friends. A very good trait to have, but tiring for you!

How are things today?

Hi Jane and MM, thank you for asking :). Luckily Thumper came flying out the shed this morning as per normal so her pain must have been stomach related but why is still a mystery. Possibly due to the peanuts, but who knows. Anyway, she seems okay today so that's great! And the thorough exam of her eye yesterday must have dislodged something as it doesn't appear to be so runny today, which is odd but also great. She is still sneezing though, so the 2-week rule will still apply but if the eye dries up as it were during this period I'll ring the vet for telephone advice rather than just making an appointment first. They are due their combi myxi-vhd jabs anyway so will have to go in at some point soon, thinking about it. So for now we'll just have to play it by ear but I don't really want to give her any vaccines if she's not quite well. Oh what to do! I don't suppose 2 weeks is going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things given their vaccines were only given on 28th July last year so have just run out.

Me too, nothing quite like a 'Good Morning' from a robust Rex !

:lol::lol:

I have it in reverse. My OH opens up the cat-flap to let 3 Rexes out of the shed into the run first thing. I go out around an hour or so later and immediately, wherever they are (and bear in mind part of the run is out of sight round a corner) on hearing the back door, all three rush back to the shed, fly in through the cat-flap and line up at the front waiting for me to open the door and give them their 6 pellets each. It's wonderful :love:

Hi Jane and MM, thank you for asking :). Luckily Thumper came flying out the shed this morning as per normal so her pain must have been stomach related but why is still a mystery. Possibly due to the peanuts, but who knows. Anyway, she seems okay today so that's great! And the thorough exam of her eye yesterday must have dislodged something as it doesn't appear to be so runny today, which is odd but also great. She is still sneezing though, so the 2-week rule will still apply but if the eye dries up as it were during this period I'll ring the vet for telephone advice rather than just making an appointment first. They are due their combi myxi-vhd jabs anyway so will have to go in at some point soon, thinking about it. So for now we'll just have to play it by ear but I don't really want to give her any vaccines if she's not quite well. Oh what to do! I don't suppose 2 weeks is going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things given their vaccines were only given on 28th July last year so have just run out.

For what it's worth, the vaccines are tested to 13 months efficacy (there was no point in further testing, as the manufacturers want everyone to vaccinate yearly :))so they will be well covered in that respect :thumb:

I would make sure she is 100% first, and follow your two week plan xx

I'm pleased you got a robust appearance from your girlie this morning :)
I have it in reverse. My OH opens up the cat-flap to let 3 Rexes out of the shed into the run first thing. I go out around an hour or so later and immediately, wherever they are (and bear in mind part of the run is out of sight round a corner) on hearing the back door, all three rush back to the shed, fly in through the cat-flap and line up at the front waiting for me to open the door and give them their 6 pellets each. It's wonderful

Me too, nothing quite like a 'Good Morning' from a robust Rex !

MightyMax; said:
For what it's worth, the vaccines are tested to 13 months efficacy (there was no point in further testing, as the manufacturers want everyone to vaccinate yearly )so they will be well covered in that respect

I would make sure she is 100% first, and follow your two week plan xx

Thank you, everyone. Yes, it was nice to see her fly out of the door :lol:. A few minutes prior, she had been very relaxed in the run, lying stretched out on her side - though munching hay. She then got up when I went outside, stretched to about 3x her normal length, yawned - nearly swallowing her own head - and then came flying out of the door, completely ignoring me by the way :lol:. A totally different bunny to yesterday that's for sure!

Coco wandered out several minutes later after deciding it wasn't too hot for her. She wouldn't let me pluck her fur though which was a shame as there LOADS of tufts and loose bits which I can see but she wouldn't let me get within 2ft of her today! Probably very wary I was going to make a grab for her and shove her unceremoniously into the pet carrier, like I did yesterday (though we were in the shed at the time) but hey ho. I'll try tomorrow. It's very therapeutic, plucking a rabbit :lol:

Yes, MightyMax, I will wait for the fortnight to pass before booking them in for their jabs. Of course if things seem to clear up before then I will get them in sooner but as you say, it won't hurt to wait. I'm far enough up the country not to be overly worried about either strain anyway to be honest, or even myxi, because as far as I know there's been no reports of any anywhere near here, but they will get done once Thumper's fully better as I won't take any chances.

Well Thumper was in pain again this morning - refused to come out of the shed, lethargic although nibbling on hay but mostly lying down and trying to sleep.

Gave her some Metacam at 1pm as she was by now shaking (she hadn't been shaking before), at 2.30 was still the same and trembling too so made an appointment at the vet as something is so wrong but I don't know what. She had a bit of a dirty bottom but purely I think due to her not moving - a couple of the droppings were normal but the others had simply been squished against her as she hadn't moved. So I washed her bum which she didn't object too (most unlike her, not minding being messed with) and made said vet appointment.

Saw the vet who's known our girls since we had them and the result of the appointment is Thumper appears to have a blocked tear duct caused by infection. Claire (vet) dyed Thumper's eye just in case, but it's fine. She then kept Thumper (and Coco), numbed her eye and inserted a canula to flush it and only partially managed to clear it. Some infection came out via the eye itself, but nothing came through her nose which of course it should have, despite topping up the anaesthetic and repeated flushings. So they're back home and I have to administer antibiotic eye drops twice daily (can barely wait) for a week and then Claire wants her back to flush it again as hopefully by then the infection will have gone. If I can't administer the drops (read "if she won't let me"!), then I'm to go back for oral antibiotics but the optical ones will be better of course as they're direct on the problem.

That has to be what's causing her the pain. Has to be.

Once back home she was washing her face and accepted a treat from me, albeit through the bars of the run, but nonetheless she ate it, which is good, and was eating hay too (she'd been nibbling hay on and off anyway today).

So hopefully I can get these drops in, Claire will be successful in flushing out whatever it is and that will be that. I wonder what's caused the infection though. Possibly dust, it's been very dry and dusty so who knows.

Poor Thumper has it all :(

Last edited:
Well Thumper was in pain again this morning - refused to come out of the shed, lethargic although nibbling on hay but mostly lying down and trying to sleep.

Gave her some Metacam at 1pm as she was by now shaking (she hadn't been shaking before), at 2.30 was still the same and trembling too so made an appointment at the vet as something is so wrong but I don't know what. She had a bit of a dirty bottom but purely I think due to her not moving - a couple of the droppings were normal but the others had simply been squished against her as she hadn't moved. So I washed her bum which she didn't object too (most unlike her, not minding being messed with) and made said vet appointment.

Saw the vet who's known our girls since we had them and the result of the appointment is Thumper appears to have a blocked tear duct caused by infection. Claire (vet) dyed Thumper's eye just in case, but it's fine. She then kept Thumper (and Coco), numbed her eye and inserted a canula to flush it and only partially managed to clear it. Some infection came out via the eye itself, but nothing came through her nose which of course it should have, despite topping up the anaesthetic and repeated flushings. So they're back home and I have to administer antibiotic eye drops twice daily (can barely wait) for a week and then Claire wants her back to flush it again as hopefully by then the infection will have gone. If I can't administer the drops (read "if she won't let me!), then I'm to go back for oral antibiotics but the optical ones will be better of course as they're direct on the problem.

That has to be what's causing her the pain. Has to be.

Once back home she was washing her face and accepted a treat from me, albeit through the bars of the run, but nonetheless she ate it, which is good, and was eating hay too (she'd been nibbling hay on and off anyway today).

So hopefully I can get these drops in, Claire will be successful in flushing out whatever it is and that will be that. I wonder what's caused the infection though. Possibly dust, it's been very dry and dusty so who knows.

Well you're getting somewhere with a diagnosis, at least Angie :D

I'm sorry about the blocked tear duct. I had a rabbit who had this done every 6 weeks for most of his life. In the end the vet gave me the equipment and showed me how to do it myself!

Infection in the tear ducts can be exacerbated by elongated tooth roots, not that there's much you can do about them.

I really hope the drops work, and the repeat flushing, and you get somewhere in a week's time :D

Thank you, MM. I hope it's one-off though else Thumper will be beside herself if she has to have it done regularly!

Claire said if it doesn't work then she will do x-rays to check the roots, but if there's nothing there she'll do x-rays on her face to check her nasal passages next. She doesn't think it's a tooth though at the moment, so fingers crossed she's right :)

Poor bunny though. She was in a right state this morning, a "do what you want with me, I don't care", which is so unlike her as she's normally pinging about all over the garden. But she's much brighter now, so hopefully gained some relief from the partial flush :)

Claire doesn't know why Thumper's sneezing though, but said that as long as it's a dry sneeze she's not overly concerned at the moment, so at least that's something. But I suppose, thinking about it as I type, get something in your eye and you sneeze don't you? Same thing for a bunny I guess, especially as her tear duct's blocked, perhaps her body is trying to clear it herself by sneezing - the vet expected to see the flush from her eye come down her nose, so logically thinking, sneezing is the body's way of trying to clear the blockage itself maybe? Once the infection/blockage has gone, maybe the sneezing will also stop? Do you see what I mean? So when she started sneezing a couple of weeks ago, that's when the infection was setting in. Damn, I didn't know, but then I suppose how could I, how could anyone. I wonder if it was caused by the dust from the hot weather we had. Just thinking out loud, as it were.

Last edited:
Back