• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrier recommendation for rabbit that hates getting in the carrier

ImoT

Mama Doe
So I currently have a ferplast carrier with front and top openings, which I love because it's great at the vets for getting one rabbit out without the other one jumping out and things. However Edith is terrified of the carrier and getting her in is a really stressful experience. We've tried everything to get her to associate the carrier with positive things, we leave it in their room permanently with the door off and occasionally put yummy food in there, but it hasn't really worked.

So in thinking of getting a new carrier which opens more at the top so they can get in from the top rather than the front.

I'm thinking about these 2;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Desi...F8&qid=1469721355&sr=1-9&keywords=cat+carrier I'm not sure if this one opens enough at the top for the bunnies to hop in?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobby-Tran...8&qid=1469721419&sr=1-24&keywords=cat+carrier This one opens a nice amount, so I'm thinking it would make it easier for the bunnies to hop in?

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Get the catit one! (The first link)

Phoebe hates! her carrier so we changed it to this one. They get on a lot better. Daphne will get in with no issues (just throw a treat in there). Phoebe is still a little funny but I watch them on the camera & she physically gets into this carrier while the lid & door is open and lays down for a sleep. She only really plays up when she knows we want her to go in there.
It acts more like a bed than a cage & feels nice and open to them which is why I think they are willing to get into it.

I have the catit one as well and can highly recommend it! Although to be honest I don't really encourage them to go in, I just pick them up and shove them in!

Same here. I have this one and pick them up and shove them in :lol: I always use the top opener rather than the door and I have never had one of them try to get out, while I'm picking another out or putting another back in.

I used to be able to lure mine into my Catit one, but the little darlings have wised up! I think they can sense the adrenaline :evil: But yes, whether you lure or drag (figuratively or actually...!) the Catit one is brilliant!

Yep Catit all the way!

I should add, the top unclips and it opens to the hinges, so very open!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahh I was really edging towards the noddy one! I'm just concerned the catit one doesn't open enough at the top so it would be too high for the bunnies to jump into? Picking them up isn't an option, they don't do being picked up and find it incredibly stressful unfortunately!

Get the catit one! (The first link)

Phoebe hates! her carrier so we changed it to this one. They get on a lot better. Daphne will get in with no issues (just throw a treat in there). Phoebe is still a little funny but I watch them on the camera & she physically gets into this carrier while the lid & door is open and lays down for a sleep. She only really plays up when she knows we want her to go in there.
It acts more like a bed than a cage & feels nice and open to them which is why I think they are willing to get into it.

So just to clarify, the front door can be open at the same time the top bits are open?

So just to clarify, the front door can be open at the same time the top bits are open?

Yes, they are independent of each other. The top isn't too high when it's open for my 3 Standard Rexes to jump into. I'm afraid I just pick them up in put them in regardless though.

Pictures of the girls one open for you. As you can see it opens fully

c463d3cc7306ec3c76bb738fc0cb8914.jpg

ca16d1fa8cf59a1d8f54d8e04a32a9ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So I used the bunnies new catit carrier today to take them to the vets for a check up/nail clip etc. Winston loves it, but he always just walks straight into any carrier anyways. Edith got in it marginally more quickly/easily than when using the ferplast one, but is still extremely stressed by the whole ordeal. What can I do to help her associate the carrier with more positive things and not be so terrified by it?!

You can do training sessions with her away from Winston.
Take her into a separate room with the carrier wide open. Allow her to approach it herself and give her treats anytime she is near it. You can also feed her greens/forage inside it (start at the door and gradually move closer to the back). This'll have desensitise her to the carrier. As she gets used to it you can also start closing it. It will take a few months but is worth it. Always do training away from her husbun as he could make it difficult to teach her.

You can do training sessions with her away from Winston.
Take her into a separate room with the carrier wide open. Allow her to approach it herself and give her treats anytime she is near it. You can also feed her greens/forage inside it (start at the door and gradually move closer to the back). This'll have desensitise her to the carrier. As she gets used to it you can also start closing it. It will take a few months but is worth it. Always do training away from her husbun as he could make it difficult to teach her.

It's interesting you say to seperate her from Winston, I would have thought this would stress her out more. But it does sound like a logical idea. I have been feeding greens inside the carrier but Winston kind of takes over and runs straight in, so it could be worthwhile doing it in a seperate room so she can go at her own pace!

Back