• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you get your string?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I'm looking for string & rope to use for the bunnies to make toys with.

I was looking at seagrass twine & sisal string but I don't know where to get it from so it'll be pet safe.
Also, is hemp string safe for rabbits?

Any recommendations on websites I can get it from? It'll be used to hang fresh greens from, forage etc

Last edited:
Thank you.
I've checked tesco but they only have cotton which I believe is a no go.
I'll have a look in wilko when I go to that area. I might also get some from amazon. I'm planning on making a sisal board so also trying to find something safe to die the rope different colours. I might try different foods.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've found that raffia is safe so they've had balls made from it. I've also made a mini one for the gerbil :)
Kinda proud of my ball making skills

8ad73ef747ecfbfa04a9b3cc830c781e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We use hay bale string for all sorts of things, but for bunny toys I would go for raffia - or even long bits of hay (plaited?) or thin, fresh willow - as it would be much safer if chewed or ingested. I am also wary of using anything which could get tangled round legs and cause damage, so would go for the easier to break or chew options for safety as well.

We use hay bale string for all sorts of things, but for bunny toys I would go for raffia - or even long bits of hay (plaited?) or thin, fresh willow - as it would be much safer if chewed or ingested. I am also wary of using anything which could get tangled round legs and cause damage, so would go for the easier to break or chew options for safety as well.

Thank you for the reply :)
They don't seem keen on raffia to eat so I may use this. Its been fairly strong too so should work well for making a line & hanging toys with.
I'll try willow for making the toys I plan but I don't think it'll work. They'll still have fun eating it if I fail :)

Back